Digital Audio Coaxial Cables? Are any better then others?

rsf1977

Fractal Fanatic
:?: may seem like a silly question, but do any Digital Audio Coaxial Cables perform any better then any others? Is that even possible when dealing with digital audio?

rsf1977 said:
:?: may seem like a silly question, but do any Digital Audio Coaxial Cables perform any better then any others? Is that even possible when dealing with digital audio?

Well as long long as the clock sync is good (which shouldn't be an issue with short runs), the sound won't improve/degrade. It is just 0 and 1s. Reliability and build quality maybe another issue.

javajunkie said:
rsf1977 said:

Well as long long as the clock sync is good (which shouldn't be an issue with short runs), the sound won't improve/degrade. It is just 0 and 1s. Reliability and build quality maybe another issue.

yea i figured, but i remember Monster Cable having this long explanation of how digital data can be "delivered" better somehow. Obviously I take anything they say with a grain of salt, but I'm open to the idea if it were actually true lol.

Any 75 ohm cable with proper shielding (e.g. tv-cable) should do it. Even (non 75 ohm) RCA cable could be enough on very short runs, not recommending it though.

I couldn't get s/pdif to sync even with a 40cm 15" pretty good quality rca cable. But with the cheapest digital cable from Thomann the clock does sync.

I do believe it's pretty simple antenna cable with rca plugs, though.
But it appears to make a difference on my M-audio audiophile firewire.

rsf1977 said:
javajunkie said:
rsf1977 said:

yea i figured, but i remember Monster Cable having this long explanation of how digital data can be "delivered" better somehow. Obviously I take anything they say with a grain of salt, but I'm open to the idea if it were actually true lol.

I take anything monster cable says with a truck load of road salt. I'm not denying any comparable quality to monster and they're competitors but they're marketing department has proven time and time again to not have a shred of morals in an effort to justify the exorbitant prices they attempt to charge.

http://www.engadget.com/2009/03/23/mons ... lectronic/

Dutch said:
I couldn't get s/pdif to sync even with a 40cm 15" pretty good quality rca cable. But with the cheapest digital cable from Thomann the clock does sync.
I've gotten s/pdif to work with rca cable once, but it was only temporary solution until I got suitable 75 ohm coaxial cable.

Dutch said:
I do believe it's pretty simple antenna cable with rca plugs, though.
Yes, that what it is. Solid core surrounded with insulation that's covered by shielding. Antenna cable with rca plugs has worked for me always, and is cheap to diy.

To the op. I also have an actual digital cable and it works the same as my diy antenna cable with rca plugs.

Back
Top Bottom