Different tone than youtube

Don't underestimate the difference in guitars, strings, pickups, pickup height, technique, etc.
I think this is the second most likely culprit. Having a “very similar” guitar doesn’t count. Changing pickups can make a radical difference, and you’d never be able to tell by looking.

I think this is the second most likely culprit. Having a “very similar” guitar doesn’t count. Changing pickups can make a radical difference, and you’d never be able to tell by looking.
Exactly why my recently purchased Kiesel Delos is sitting with it's guts removed - waiting on a part so I can complete a full pickup swap. Even with the tone on the guitar way down (3-4) it is still much brighter than all my other guitars.

Reactions: Rex
I think this is the most likely culprit. I’ve seen it happen too many times. Often, people don’t realize how loud you have to get before your strings get drowned out by the amplification.
OK but if I low down 8k the tone gets warm. This means that I'm not hearing string noise that would not be affected by eq

Exactly why my recently purchased Kiesel Delos is sitting with it's guts removed - waiting on a part so I can complete a full pickup swap. Even with the tone on the guitar way down (3-4) it is still much brighter than all my other guitars.
Coming from tube amps I noticed that modelers are a LOT more picky when it comes to electronics, pickups, height pickups etc.

I played JB in the bridge all my life with tube amps and it was always a blast.
With modelers it’s not the same story at all.

Coming from tube amps I noticed that modelers are a LOT more picky when it comes to electronics, pickups, height pickups etc.

I played JB in the bridge all my life with tube amps and it was always a blast.
With modelers it’s not the same story at all.
I don't agree... I think it has more to do with how you're using the modeler.

But you aren't the first person that's said it :)

I don't agree... I think it has more to do with how you're using the modeler.

But you aren't the first person that's said it :)
I plug I play… what mistakes could I do?

I know perfectly my main guitar, I played it for more than 20 years on multiple amps, gigged with it from 20 people in a club to 10k+ shows.

The compression is different, the way the frequencies are drove is different, the volume boost you get is different. Everything is different.

I already changed my SH4 for an AT-1 and I think it’s again too hot output, considering going to a 36paf

even the way you set the input pad on the fm3 give you different dynamics.
To get the same dynamic and not « cut » in sound I had to put to 0db and lowered the AT-1 to the minimum possible.

I have really no problem with considering modelers are a different world and adapt my pickups to my fm3 ( which I find is a-ma-zing! And the marshal models are heaven) but I would really like to hear more about the « it has more to do with how you’re using the modeler » :)

I plug I play… what mistakes could I do?

I know perfectly my main guitar, I played it for more than 20 years on multiple amps, gigged with it from 20 people in a club to 10k+ shows.

The compression is different, the way the frequencies are drove is different, the volume boost you get is different. Everything is different.

I already changed my SH4 for an AT-1 and I think it’s again too hot output, considering going to a 36paf

even the way you set the input pad on the fm3 give you different dynamics.
To get the same dynamic and not « cut » in sound I had to put to 0db and lowered the AT-1 to the minimum possible.

I have really no problem with considering modelers are a different world and adapt my pickups to my fm3 ( which I find is a-ma-zing! And the marshal models are heaven) but I would really like to hear more about the « it has more to do with how you’re using the modeler » :)
I didn't say you are doing something wrong.

There's a difference between plugging into an amp and hearing in the room than there is plugging into something that stimulates a mic'd tube amp into a mixing console preamp. The virtual amp will often be turned up louder (in the virtual environment) than you may turn up a physical amp.

You're not comparing the same things...

And you're also totally allowed to have your own opinion - even if we don't agree :)

I'm joining the party a little late, but I have a theory.
It's purely speculative, not based on facts at all:
Most of these "big" YouTubers over produce their videos (including the audio).
My guess is that the final audio for the whole video goes through a mastering bus, which may include an eq, a compressor and a limiter (at the very least).
But most of what was said before also makes sense, so we should fator all of it together.
Getting the exact same results, specially with over produced YouTube videos as a reference, is very unlikely.
My suggestion is that you "copy" the presets you're interested on and then tweak it to your liking.
That's what try I do...

I'm joining the party a little late, but I have a theory.
My guess is that the final audio for the whole video goes through a mastering bus, which may include an eq, a compressor and a limiter (at the very least).
But most of what was said before also makes sense, so we should fator all of it together.
Getting the exact same results, specially with over produced YouTube videos as a reference, is very unlikely.
My suggestion is that you "copy" the presets you're interested on and then tweak it to your liking.
That's what try I do...
i'm pretty sure leon and cooper - those referenced in this thread - do no post processing on the guitar audio. makes no sense to do a tutorial showing how to get tones and completely altering the audio afterward.

i'm pretty sure leon and cooper - those referenced in this thread - do no post processing on the guitar audio. makes no sense to do a tutorial showing how to get tones and completely altering the audio afterward.
As I said, purely speculative theory.
I don't know Leon and Cooper other than their videos and I have no insight into their editing workflows.
But I do agree it would make no sense to post process the guitar/FM3 sound.
Maybe I should have thought twice before posting an speculation ... :)

As I said, purely speculative theory.
I don't know Leon and Cooper other than their videos and I have no insight into their editing workflows.
But I do agree it would make no sense to post process the guitar/FM3 sound.
Maybe I should have thought twice before posting an speculation ... :)
good to bring up, as i'm sure others may do this. but pretty sure they do not as they specifically make tone tutorials.

if anything maybe some level balancing, but i bet they have it dialed in by now.

please export a preset that you made that is matched to what they show in the video. we can see for ourselves what's going on and have better answers to your question.
I will not be at home for the next days.
Anyway the last test I've done is with the amp in the room simulation from Cooper Carter.
The preset is very simple and I started form a clean one.
I will upload it in the next days

...but I have a theory.
I'm not sure how much audio/video post-production is done by them but I have seen a video in the past (can't find it offhand) where Leon disclosed that he does/has used Izotope mixing/mastering software for his videos. It might explain some differences in sound quality.

Let’s take a different approach to this question.
How many here would say that the patch that they’ve copied sounds almost identical to the video demonstrations?

Let’s take a different approach to this question.
How many here would say that the patch that they’ve copied sounds almost identical to the video demonstrations?
90% there for Leon and Cooper tones for me. definitely different due to my gear but not so far off.

OK but if I low down 8k the tone gets warm. This means that I'm not hearing string noise that would not be affected by eq
I don’t know what it means to “low down 8k.” But if you make your tone warmer, that doesn’t drown out the sound from the strings.

I think we're overlooking things like the guitar and the player's long-standing habits.

One of the things I noticed while working at a musical instrument store for a long time was that the sound of two guitars of the same brand and model can be quite different.

Also, when my friend, who has played Yngwie for a long time, plays my guitar, my guitar sounds like his guitar.
After playing Nuno for a long time, when I play my friend's guitar, his guitar sounds like my guitar. ;)

I think this is the most likely culprit. I’ve seen it happen too many times. Often, people don’t realize how loud you have to get before your strings get drowned out by the amplification.
I like Simeon's idea of recording yourself. I've done it several times (it's easy with a looper). I'll be thinking my tone sounds too trebly so I'll record a bit and play it back. Nope, it was just the natural string sound getting added in.

Back
Top Bottom