Differences on preset making

TakaraGold

Experienced
Hi guys!
Hope u r all axing your way up in tonal bliss.
The thing is Ive been creating tons of presets, tmas, downloading patches and the whole nine. I've managed to create fairly decent sounds, with nice amp setups mostly, still tweaking and learning on the best settings for modulation fx and delays.
I've encountered one difference between some presets I've downloaded that has jumped to my eye. When I set delay mix, I set it under 20% for adding a little ambience for leads (digital mono, 15fbk, 13% mix, 573ms) something like that, it sounds similar to what I used on my old delaypedals. But I've encountered some presets with delay mix at 100%, sounding quite different, but good! Am I missing something? I figure 0% is total dry signal, and 100% would be total wet signal as in a regular delay pedal. So why does it sound great when I use it like that, and it also sounds good at 100? Just different approaches?

If you are running your effects in a parallel row, you want to keep mix at 100% and use the level to establish how loud the completely wet signal blends with your main line. Otherwise, you're mixing a dry signal with a wet signal in the effects chain when you already have a dry signal going through the main line - does what I just write make any sense?

When a row is split you have cloned your signal. So in the case of a delay, or any effect in parallel, you set the mix of the parallel row to 100% so that you kill the dry signal. Then you use the volume control to set the amount of wet signal you want to hear. Then you can merge the rows to save CPU. If you don't set the mix to 100% you will end adding more volume to the dry signal.

For a better explanation see the wiki Effect block with parallel rows - Axe-Fx II Wiki

yep, probably running in parallel with the delay level controlled by either the in gain or output level of the effect.

Back
Top Bottom