Difference in the Input 1 and the Input gain?

I'm using a couple of different guitars for live performance. One is a little hotter/more distorted than the other. I'm not sure what the difference between the input and the input gain, which should i be using to get the gain close?

Also, while we are on the subject, I know the manual says to balance volumes using the amp block, i find it easier to use the output. Is there a reason not to do this?
Thanks

the Input Level in the Setup menu sets a signal-to-noise ratio. set this for your loudest guitar, and leave it there for the other guitars. this does not affect level/gain into Presets/Layout unless there is a major difference, like one guitar would be set at 100% and the other at 5%. in majority of cases, setting for your loudest guitar works well for all guitars you use.

if by Input Gain you mean a block somewhere, this is an actual Level/Signal adjustment where it will get noticeably louder or quieter. you shouldn't need to adjust this at all in most cases.

the Amp block has the most affect on Level/Signal, because different Input Drive, Master Volume and other settings really change the perceived volume. that's why it's the best place to adjust your overall level. it's the source of level, so adjust it at the source.

the main issue with only using the Out block is that say you have an Amp block set to -30dB or something, and it's really quiet. the Out block could only boost 20dB more, and if that's not enough to get the level you need, you have to adjust something else anyway. similarly, if you have a very loud Amp due to Drive and Master Volume settings, and you turn the Out block down but it can't get quiet enough, you'd have to adjust somewhere else too.

so it's best practice to adjust the Level at the Amp block since it's responsible for very big changes in perceived volume. once your Level is balanced in general with those Drive settings, use Scene Volumes, or the Out block to adjust if needed. but it's best to make the big initial balance changes from the source.

Like Chris said, Input 1 Level in the I/O menu is for setting the analog level going into the A/D converters. It is inversely compensated after the converters so digital signal going to the grid stays relatively constant except at extreme ends of the control. You want this one as high as possible with no clipping at the input converters for the best signal to noise ratio. You can use the "tickle the red" method via the front panel input LEDs or for more accuracy record the DI signal via USB and examine the waveform up close for any flat clipped peaks.

Input 1 Gain in the I/O menu is a global level control after the A/D converters but before the grid. For example, it lets you compensate for switching to a louder or quieter guitar without having to adjust each preset individually. Generally this one is left at 0dB unless you are globally wanting more or less input signal going to the grid.

Thank you for this Mr Fender. That explains exactly what I wanted to know.
I would suggest adding the second paragraph to the "Connections and setting levels" portion of the Wiki.

Like Chris said, Input 1 Level in the I/O menu is for setting the analog level going into the A/D converters. It is inversely compensated after the converters so digital signal going to the grid stays relatively constant except at extreme ends of the control. You want this one as high as possible with no clipping at the input converters for the best signal to noise ratio. You can use the "tickle the red" method via the front panel input LEDs or for more accuracy record the DI signal via USB and examine the waveform up close for any flat clipped peaks.

Input 1 Gain in the I/O menu is a global level control after the A/D converters but before the grid. For example, it lets you compensate for switching to a louder or quieter guitar without having to adjust each preset individually. Generally this one is left at 0dB unless you are globally wanting more or less input signal going to the grid.

Mine was set at 1.000db from the start.

Can someone verify if 1.000db is the factory setting?

I don’t recall ever adjusting this setting.

It's a gain multiplier. Multiplying by 1 gives you unity gain (no boost or cut). Values above 1 boost and values below 1 cut.

10.0 = 10 times the level...
5.0 = 5 times the level...
2.0 = twice the level...
1.0 = no change...
0.75 = 75% level...
0.5 = 50% level...
0.1 = 10% level

Input Trim in the amp block works the same way.

It's a gain multiplier. Multiplying by 1 gives you unity gain (no boost or cut). Values above 1 boost and values below 1 cut.

10.0 = 10 times the level...
5.0 = 5 times the level...
2.0 = twice the level...
1.0 = no change...
0.75 = 75% level...
0.5 = 50% level...
0.1 = 10% level

Input Trim in the amp block works the same way.

👍🏻

Though I followed your lead with 0db lol 🫣

Back
Top Bottom