DAW output level too low/axe fx too high

hi guys,
ive been messing around trying to record something but i have a problem in that the output volume from my DAW (logic pro 9..glitchy rubbish DAW imho..too many problems to list)...the AXE is connected via analogue outputs connected to an audio interface (Logic doesn't like USB and has never worked properly irrespective of latency settings).
However the AXE is WAY too loud and drowns out the backing track ive recorded. When i adjust output level 1 volume on the AXE, it also alters the entire volume so the ratio of guitar vs backing track remains altered....ie: The entire thing gets louder or quieter but the guitar drowns out the backing track either way...Any help would be great because it's very frustrating!
Cheers
:)

How does lowering Volume 1 on the Axe affect your entire mix volume if you're connecting to an interface via analog outs, hence the interface becoming the DAW audio device? I'm a little lost here.

Edit: Ok, got it, Chris' post was enlightening. And basically what he says.

there are a few ways to do this. i'm not going to describe every one.

but the best way to do this is to route your backing track to your Audio Interface so it's not tied to the Axe Output volume knob - I'm assuming you're making the backing track go to the Axe via USB because your speakers are connected to your Axe.

the Axe is not the best USB interface. since you are going Analog out anyway, stop using it as a USB device for the backing track so you can have separate control over the 2 signals. then connect your speakers or headphones to the audio interface.

Last edited:
You can also simply put a "Mix" or a "Vol/Pan" block behind the other blocks of your guitar signal chain (any block with an output control you can turn down will actually do) and use it to decrease the level of the guitar signal as much as required, the DAW signal stays untouched by it.

You can also simply put a "Mix" or a "Vol/Pan" block behind the other blocks of your guitar signal chain (any block with an output control you can turn down will actually do) and use it to decrease the level of the guitar signal as much as required, the DAW signal stays untouched by it.

Won't that decrease the amount of signal he is recording?

I need to clarify things here...I dont want to use the AXE FX as an audio interface, nor do i want to use it via USB.
The AXE if plugged into an audio interface via it's analogue outputs.
Ive recorded a backing track in Logic.
When the AXE is switched on, 'IT' controls the overall volume coming from my monitors, which i do not want it to do. I want it to have nothing to do with my computer in anyway other than getting the guitar to it.
The guitar volume drowns out the backing track.
ALtering the volume in my DAW so that it is peaking still cannot compete with the guitar volume.
Hope this helps give you a clue where im coming from..As i said earlier, im not interested in using the USB as it caused me another heap of issues.
Im not ruling out that Logic may be the issue, because since ive had it, its been full of bugs and glitches.

Your description sounds like you have the Axe connected via USB, and the computer is using it as the sound device when available. You need to adjust OS and/or Logic settings so it doesn't do that, sending playback directly to the other interface instead.

Your description sounds like you have the Axe connected via USB, and the computer is using it as the sound device when available. You need to adjust OS and/or Logic settings so it doesn't do that, sending playback directly to the other interface instead.

The OP mentioned he goes through an audio interface via it's analogue outputs and does not use USB.

If so I think the solution may be to just lower the volume of the AxeFX track in the mixer.

The OP mentioned he goes through an audio interface via it's analogue outputs and does not use USB.

If so I think the solution may be to just lower the volume of the AxeFX track in the mixer.

I'm guessing he has a USB cable connected for Axe-Edit/updates and might not be aware the computer is switching to Axe as sound device. If the Axe output 1 knob is affecting the level of computer playback as he seems to be stating, that's the only thing that could cause it.

The output volume knob of the Axe will ONLY THEN lower the volumne of the DAW backing track if the Axe is the Audio Interface to which the DAW is connected. If he has the DAW running through the other audio interface, then lowering the volume of the analog output of the Axe will not influence that DAW Level, but only the Level with which the Axe hits the analog ins of the other interface.
Maybe it's worth checking the ASIO / Core Audio settings of the DAW to make sure the Axe is not the active audio interface...?

EDIT: Bakerman was faster...

Funkyrimpler- Are your speakers connected to your computer's output, to the audio interface, or to the AxeFX? Sorry, but I'm just trying to wrap my head around your situation, as I previously used Logic Pro 9 and currently have Logic Pro X, and haven't ever had this type of issue. One other question, relating to deathsilver's reply above, when you look at the mixer (in Logic), how high or low are the sliders set, for your backing track and for your input track for the AxeFX? Good luck. Lee

The AXE isn't connected via USB. I think what's happening is that 'Logic' automatically resets itself to use the AXE as an audio soundcard. Whenever it is switched on and i go to Logic preferences it has resets itself to use the AXE instead of the soundcard. If i manually reset it, then i can adjust the volume, so that's that problem identified. But, as ever it's thrown up a different issue..:-x Now when i try to record audio i can hear two input signals from the Axe and when it has recorded it is virtually inaudible. Input monitoring is off btw...
*Spoiler alert: Rant coming up*...Ever since i've used Logic it has plagued me with a never ended range of issues...Even Apple Support have been stumped..Ive reinstalled it a number of times and even reinstalled the entire OS (OSX Mavericks), but the same issues return again and again..The most frustrating one being the 'invisible' pointer..It simply disappears on the arrange window or in the mixer window..to make it visible you have to press the command key..but sometimes in comes back as a different tool..then there's it's inability to alter the colour of sections etc etc..Ive got a 27" iMac but the text on Logic's screen is miniscule and can't be enlarged...Absolute crap it is...Im thinking of moving to Logic X (simply because i can't be arsed going back to square one with a different DAW)...But im worried about be able to remove all artifacts of 9 because they will undoubtedly f*ck up Logic X somewhere down the line..Anyone had issues with using Logic X and Mavericks? Ive heard that Yosemite is appalling (?) It's also annoying that Superior drummer's window cannot be enlarged..so again, ive got an enormous screen with a tiny Superior Drummer window with almost invisible text...Why do designers do this sh*t??:mad:
Anyway, how do i get rid of the second delayed input signal, and how do i increase the audio input signal without having the AXE drown everything out again??
Many thanks gentlemen..i'm going for a lie down.

The AXE isn't connected via USB. I think what's happening is that 'Logic' automatically resets itself to use the AXE as an audio soundcard.

If there is no USB cable, then it is impossible for the Axe to be an "audio sound card" and also impossible for the Axe output knob to control anything coming from the computer.

Show us a picture of no USB cable plugged into the axe please.

any thoughts about the volume input issue? to get a decent it's deafeningly loud and the backing track is all but inaudible (the backing track is on it's absolute maximum and is even occasionally clipping)

Sorry for the quick hijack. Chris, I'd appreciate your input.

I've read on several threads including this one that using the axe fx as an interface is not the best option.

I recently bought a focusite 2l2. Would this be a good alternative? If so can anyone care to provide me with a connection for idiots step by step how to?

Thanks

Edit: on a custom pc and I use reaper as a daw

The AXE isn't connected via USB. I think what's happening is that 'Logic' automatically resets itself to use the AXE as an audio soundcard. Whenever it is switched on and i go to Logic preferences it has resets itself to use the AXE instead of the soundcard. If i manually reset it, then i can adjust the volume, so that's that problem identified. But, as ever it's thrown up a different issue..:-x Now when i try to record audio i can hear two input signals from the Axe and when it has recorded it is virtually inaudible. Input monitoring is off btw...
*Spoiler alert: Rant coming up*...Ever since i've used Logic it has plagued me with a never ended range of issues...Even Apple Support have been stumped..Ive reinstalled it a number of times and even reinstalled the entire OS (OSX Mavericks), but the same issues return again and again..The most frustrating one being the 'invisible' pointer..It simply disappears on the arrange window or in the mixer window..to make it visible you have to press the command key..but sometimes in comes back as a different tool..then there's it's inability to alter the colour of sections etc etc..Ive got a 27" iMac but the text on Logic's screen is miniscule and can't be enlarged...Absolute crap it is...Im thinking of moving to Logic X (simply because i can't be arsed going back to square one with a different DAW)...But im worried about be able to remove all artifacts of 9 because they will undoubtedly f*ck up Logic X somewhere down the line..Anyone had issues with using Logic X and Mavericks? Ive heard that Yosemite is appalling (?) It's also annoying that Superior drummer's window cannot be enlarged..so again, ive got an enormous screen with a tiny Superior Drummer window with almost invisible text...Why do designers do this sh*t??:mad:
Anyway, how do i get rid of the second delayed input signal, and how do i increase the audio input signal without having the AXE drown everything out again??
Many thanks gentlemen..i'm going for a lie down.

I'm using Logic Pro X in Yosemite and I don't have any of these issues. I run it through USB.
It's been good so far but need to make sure to set the project to 48hz.

The Focusrite 2i2 doesn't allow a stereo input for playback, as far as I can tell. So it can record 2 discreet tracks and you can pan later, but you can't pan the inputs hard left and right for realtime monitoring.

The axe is ok for recording but the only way to adjust the Computer playback is the program on the computer (Cubase, Spotify, iTunes, etc). It's killer for reamping via USB.

If you can deal with the volume thing, and you have the CPU available for the USB, it's good. But compared to other dedicated Audio Interfaces, it lacks a few common features.

But no audio interface makes a guitar tone like the Axe ;)

any thoughts about the volume input issue? to get a decent it's deafeningly loud and the backing track is all but inaudible (the backing track is on it's absolute maximum and is even occasionally clipping)

You need to solve the problem of the Axe output controlling the backing track playback first. Once you do that, you can turn down the Axe either with the Volume knob or the track level in your DAW.

Waiting on that picture I requested earlier :)

Back
Top Bottom