Danny Danzi - Van Halen preset- need !

1poorplayer

Power User
In the Axe-Fx II Tone Match section of the forum , Danny Danzi posted a fantastic Van Halen preset. It looks like it may be CPU intensive for the AX8 , but it could easily be broken up into 2 different presets , because as it is , not all blocks are used at the same time , so it can cover a half dozen different van halen songs , within a single preset.

Does anyone have the ability to make this happen ?

http://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/van-halen-mean-streets.113343/

In the Axe-Fx II Tone Match section of the forum , Danny Danzi posted a fantastic Van Halen preset. It looks like it may be CPU intensive for the AX8 , but it could easily be broken up into 2 different presets , because as it is , not all blocks are used at the same time , so it can cover a half dozen different van halen songs , within a single preset.

Does anyone have the ability to make this happen ?

http://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/van-halen-mean-streets.113343/

Have you tried the @AlGrenadine preset converter?

If you were to use the same blocks , amp , cab , it should be the same end result , right ?

I'm only 4 months into Fractal (AX8) Bliss, so forgive me if I'm wrong.
I NEED this preset though.

What if you load stereo cabs with the tone match on one side and the regular ir on the other and sum? I have no idea how this works ?

Yes. I have Mokes eruption. Love it to death. I threw my own amp and cab into it also , for other variations with the effects.
I'm just another Eddie Junkie. I learned almost every riff - years ago. Playing VH , and getting THAT -EXACT sound , blows my mind. Fractal is amazing. I'm not great with making effects sound their best. There are guys around here that are MASTERS at it , either due to using Fractal gear for so long , or just because of their technical knowhow.

Last edited:

Here's a sample of the preset converted to the AX8. I was able to export the tonematch block to a cab and move it over to the AX8. I used the great @AlGrenadine AxeFxSend utility to quickly convert the preset to the AX8. There are some differences as the AX8 doesn't have all the blocks that exist in the Axe-Fx preset. There are some differences in levels, reverb level, etc. due to the differences in routing - I didn't spend the time to sync those things up 1:1. I also removed the modifiers from the amp drive, flanger, phaser, etc and only worked on Scene 1 for the moment.

In listening to the presets side-by-side in both units, they seem pretty close. I didn't change any settings other than the above differences - tried to present it as-is. No post-processing on the recording - straight from the AX8.

Since this is @Danny Danzi 's preset I'll await his permission for sharing - I don't know if he wanted to do an official one or not.

Thanks @Danny Danzi for the great patch. It's a blast to play. The phaser sounds great to me as well.

Forgive any clams and tuning - was a quickie and forgot to tune.

@CodePoet good job on that! I don't mind you sharing at all. I do want to release the patch on axe exchange with a nice audio clip to showcase it, but am unable to right now because I guess the fw version is still in beta format.

Let me ask you, since the patch is pretty intense and made for the XL+ is there anything I can do on my end to make it better for ax8 or have you done everything already?

I don't have an ax8 so I don't know the limitations that it may have. But if there's something I can do on my end to make things better, let me know.

Thanks guys. I really appreciate it !
I thought chopping the original preset into a "couple" presets , might lessen the number of blocks (used per song) and help with any CPU limitations.

Is the original using Q3.0 ?

Let me ask you, since the patch is pretty intense and made for the XL+ is there anything I can do on my end to make it better for ax8 or have you done everything already?

No, I don't think you need to do anything. There are some things that the patch itself can't do in the AX8 like having 2 Flanger blocks or 2 Amp blocks, but we can re-work those to use X/Y and get the same sounds. I'll go through it in more detail and set those blocks set up in X/Y fashion and that should do it. If you're going to make any updates to it keep me posted.

No, I don't think you need to do anything. There are some things that the patch itself can't do in the AX8 like having 2 Flanger blocks or 2 Amp blocks, but we can re-work those to use X/Y and get the same sounds. I'll go through it in more detail and set those blocks set up in X/Y fashion and that should do it. If you're going to make any updates to it keep me posted.

Very cool, thanks for doing this. I want to experiment with the cab save IR vs the tone match block. Do they really sound identical to you?

I've not tried that yet with this patch, but in my experience with past tone match to cab save situations, the cab save is always a little different. Now that I know what I know now about tweaking cab block perimeters, I bet I can nail that dead on.

So let me try that and see how close it is or isn't. And if I tweak anything, I can just send you the cab block.

I wish I knew all the limitations of the axe8 so I could give you a finished group of patches, but if you're OK with doing that, you sir, are a good man. :)

@AlGrenadine quick shout out to you for a wonderful little program for our conversions. I'm waiting for one of my clients to pay me via pay pal so I too can donate. I always have a little something in that account, but they all have been paying in cash. If I don't get something soon, I'll take it from somewhere else. I will not forget about you, you have my word and my word is golden.

I might also be interested in working with you on something if you have the time, desire and skills to pull it off. I'll send you a private message at some point when I'm closer to discussing it, if that's OK? Again thank you for the awesome program.

Try searching user 5150
He has an INCREDIBLE video on "Brown sound in 10 minutes" and "effects"
No Tone Match block, easy peasy and sounds great!! It's a great place to get the core tone.

Also, Yek has some excellent effects settings for EVH, phase, flange, etc...

I took 5150's reverb settings and applied them to other presets as well, great stuff.
Personally, it seems best to create YOUR preset, so you can tweak to YOUR system. No one will be using your gear when they make their preset, so you'll have to tweak it anyway. 5150's video is a great place to start, IMO.

Good Luck

I wish I knew all the limitations of the axe8 so I could give you a finished group of patches, but if you're OK with doing that, you sir, are a good man. :)

To make it AX8-friendly:
Use 1 Comp, 1 Flanger, 1 Amp, 1 Reverb, and no Mixer. You could combine the multiple blocks into X/Y combinations in one block. Instead of the mixer block you can run the lines into the Output and use the Output parameters per-scene to make your mix.

Try searching user 5150
He has an INCREDIBLE video on "Brown sound in 10 minutes" and "effects"
No Tone Match block, easy peasy and sounds great!! It's a great place to get the core tone.

Also, Yek has some excellent effects settings for EVH, phase, flange, etc...

I took 5150's reverb settings and applied them to other presets as well, great stuff.
Personally, it seems best to create YOUR preset, so you can tweak to YOUR system. No one will be using your gear when they make their preset, so you'll have to tweak it anyway. 5150's video is a great place to start, IMO.

Good Luck

All well and good, but I don't think that is going to help him get the sound or patch that I offered. Lol! :)

We're trying to give him what he asked for in the thread title. He just wants to try my patch.

Think about it for a sec. The guy creates a thread wanting my patch while praising it, and we get guys coming into the thread trying to send the guy somewhere else. Lol! That's kinda like a smack in the face to me, doncha think?

I mean listen, I really don't care one way or the other....but if any of you shared a patch, the last thing I'd do is come into a thread bearing that patch and owners name and try to send them somewhere else by providing links etc unless there was a need. Not upset, just a bit surprised. Just sayin.....

Back
Top Bottom