Custom Rack Panel Recommendation

Very modestly priced too. Depending on how you value your time - to gather the parts, ship and put one together yourself, these panels from Hans is probably one of the best values in the "cool & convenient gear" category. I enjoy working with people like that.

Update....ordered on the 6th. Shipped on the 9th. What great service. Here's the full frontal:

VS-20121106-02.jpg

And, link to the build:

Vafam Sound - Custom Audio Panels

Ordering mine.
2 - XLR
4 - 1/4"
1 - USB
1 - Ethercon Ethernet
1 - PowerCON w/ female inside end for plugging in my Power Conditioner

Should make my live show life just that much easier.

Mine is nearing a year and has seen a lot of gigs, still works like the day it arrived. Good products, great guy to deal with.

So I'm looking to order one of these. My question is, does the extra connections have any noticeable effect on the tone? Are there different levels of cable quality that you can choose from? I really like the functionality of this but I just don't want to sacrifice sound quality...even if its just a little bit.

One other question, I want to have an extra 1/4 inch jack so that I can route my wireless system to the front instrument input. Does this have to be a stereo jack since the instrument jack is trs?

Hi Anthony

I don't notice any difference whatsoever in the sound with mine although other ears may differ. Can't help you with the quality question but you should seriously drop Hans an email. Mine went from enquiry to quote to build to shipped within about 4 hours. I spec'd TS cables for 2 connections and he queried what they were going to be for and suggested I change them to TRS in case my needs changed in the future - no extra charge. I expect the only reason you would leave them as TS would be if they ware carrying speaker signal andy you'd probably use a different panel socket for that anyway.

Bottom line... emali him, you can't go wrong

Mine's been in the rack and is perfect. I love. At home with the way I setup, it's a little inelegant (the wires and connections used to be hidden on the floor behind) but it makes for quite simple patching/repatching (it is all right up front) and live it's a huge time saver - no more flipping the rack and having to use the mini-lamp I installed on the rear of my Furman).

All I wanted is to essentially mirror the output section plus the USB and Cat5 connections. I have power on the front of my rack via my Furman.

Excellent quality; top notch.

VS-20121107-02.jpg

More shots of mine here:

Vafam Sound - Custom Audio Panels

I just got panels from Vafam too. Very good (and friendly) service, very good build quality, very good price.

Their attention to detail re: stress relief etc. is exemplary.

My only complaint is that they use gepco wire, I am not sure which gepco they use, and I hope it's not the pre-tinned stuff, which fabricators LOVE because it's FAST - but it's also undisputably more brittle. But whatever they use, I would gladly pay extra for Mogami wire for my panels in the future.

Gepco is fine, I've wired entire studios with the stuff, but I prefer Mogami by a wide margin.

I think a 'choose your own wire' option, or at least a couple of different wire options would make a great thing even better.

So, Vafam only gets a 999 out of 1000. In short: they rock!

Cooper,
Did Hans do the cool labels for each jack or did you get those somewhere else? Forgive me if you provided that info before or in another post.

Back
Top Bottom