Crown Class AB power amps?

sparkman

Anyone out there using Crown Class AB power amps like the xli3500? I have an xitone 4x12 FRFR cab being built and want to get a great power amp to pair with it. Curious on opinions of the Crown amps. Thanks in advance!

It's a nice amp but at 43Lbs it's a back breaker, unless your getting a killer deal or it's just going to sit in a man cave but even then it's so overkill. Carvin has a Class A/B DCM3800L at less than half the weight (14Lbs) a little less wattage 750 @ 8 Ohms per side which should still make you deaf and break your neighbors windows down at the end of the block. Are you dead set on a 1000 watts and if so why? I mean a good power amp should be able to get the same job done with half the wattage.

It's a nice amp but at 43Lbs it's a back breaker, unless your getting a killer deal or it's just going to sit in a man cave but even then it's so overkill. Carvin has a Class A/B DCM3800L at less than half the weight (14Lbs) a little less wattage 750 @ 8 Ohms per side which should still make you deaf and break your neighbors windows down at the end of the block. Are you dead set on a 1000 watts and if so why? I mean a good power amp should be able to get the same job done with half the wattage.

Thanks for your response. I was just curious about whether or not anyone had any experience with them. I will check out the Carvin!

I have run some of the older Rmx series power amps and have had no problems of any kind. Crown makes a solid product and was not trying to sell you on Carvin but rather using it as an example for a weight comparison, there are other options out there. I was just curious as to the attraction to the Crown.

I have run some of the older Rmx series power amps and have had no problems of any kind. Crown makes a solid product and was not trying to sell you on Carvin but rather using it as an example for a weight comparison, there are other options out there. I was just curious as to the attraction to the Crown.

Gotcha. I was just curious--looks like they make a solid product and just wanted to see what options are out there to work with my Xitone.

Carvin has a Class A/B DCM3800L at less than half the weight (14Lbs) a little less wattage 750 @ 8 Ohms per side which should still make you deaf and break your neighbors windows down at the end of the block. Are you dead set on a 1000 watts and if so why? I mean a good power amp should be able to get the same job done with half the wattage.

IMO even that amp is overkill, I use a Carvin DCM 1540L which is roughly half the price of the 3800, and it's still over-powered and only $400. See it here;

DCM1540L Ultra Light Linear 1500W Power Amp – Carvin Audio

I use the DCM1540l and it is a lot more then I need running into a 412. Its very powerful and very light. I got mine on ebay from a studio going out of business and they were getting rid of all their poweramps. Before I had the carvin I used a art sla2 which was good for playing with the band and got loud enough. I usually run the poweramps at about 75% and use the axefx output as a volume knob. my levels on my amp sims are usually around 1-2pm depending on the amp or if I have a drive in front of it.

Gotcha. I was just curious--looks like they make a solid product and just wanted to see what options are out there to work with my Xitone.

There are quite a few... but the popular ones that passive FRFR guys are using are Carvin, Matrix, then Crown QSC just about every PA amp that is reputable. The power requirements for the xitone should not have to be ridiculously overdone. 500 watts a side should be more than enough for clean headroom to drive that speaker combo and not have any issues at gigging volumes. Maybe Mick will chime in on this but I think it pretty safe to say.

I use the 1540l with two xitone wedges, I seem to need a little more headroom(not volume) for the low end sometimes.

If you're getting one of these, then Mick stated that these are 1000W continuous (4x250W Beta 12cx's).

As a rule of thumb you should spec your amp to have 1.8-2.2 times the speaker's stated continuous power handling, so a 2000W power amp (at 8ohms??? guessing the cab has 8ohm impedence) would probably be the ticket if you plan on running your monster 4x12 at full spl's in mono.

If you're getting one of these, then Mick stated that these are 1000W continuous (4x250W Beta 12cx's).

As a rule of thumb you should spec your amp to have 1.8-2.2 times the speaker's stated continuous power handling, so a 2000W power amp (at 8ohms??? guessing the cab has 8ohm impedence) would probably be the ticket if you plan on running your monster 4x12 at full spl's in mono.

If the OP planes on running full range music through the cab, drums, Bass, vocals, I could see that as those recommendations are for a full PA application. He doesn't necessarily need that kind of power if he is just pushing guitar through it.

I use the DCM1540l and it is a lot more then I need running into a 412. Its very powerful and very light. I got mine on ebay from a studio going out of business and they were getting rid of all their poweramps. Before I had the carvin I used a art sla2 which was good for playing with the band and got loud enough. I usually run the poweramps at about 75% and use the axefx output as a volume knob. my levels on my amp sims are usually around 1-2pm depending on the amp or if I have a drive in front of it.

Do you think the 1540L has better tone/feel/etc than the SLA-2?

I do. My pair of SLA-2's are nothing but door stops since I got the Carvin DCM 1540L.

How would you explain that the 1540L is better? Fuller sound? Less sterile? Less harsh, etc....

I am curious because I have a SLA-2, and have considered upgrading because sometimes I feel like the SLA-2 is holding the Axe back. I have considered a Matrix, but it is hard to justify the $$ for mostly playing at home. The 1540L seems like a nice alternative.

Back
Top Bottom