Crackling sound in the tail off

EG 2006

Inspired
Not sure if I can articulate this well but I'll give it a go. I have noticed on some amp models, patches etc there is a tiny little crackle at the tail end of a chord ringing out. It's not clipping, I know what that is and it's not that. This is like a tiny little unnatural crackle as the sustain fades out. Doesn't happen on clean amps/settings. Only when there is a little bit of amp dirt in the mix. Doesn't matter what guitar I am using either. Sometimes I seem to be able to dial it out by backing off the prescense, treble, bright options but this doesn't always work and sometimes it wrecks the overall tone.

Anyone know what I'm talking about here? Is there a simple explanation or fix?

Can you post a preset where this is particularly evident? Or is there a particular amp model you have an issue with?

I'll try and post a preset but tonight it was the JTM45 amp - happens with the Austin Buddy preset for this amp. There are others. My Elevenrack used to do it aswell.

Are you sure it's not just the natural breakup of the amplifier? Post a preset anyway, or someone else who has Austin Buddy's presets might chime in. Hopefully there's an easy solution for you!

Could it be a setting in the input gate? Sounds like as it's ringing out the gate is starting to close. Bypass it and see if problem goes away if so then may need tweak a setting

Definitely sounds like the noise gate. If you don't have a Gate block in your patch, check the Input settings. It's to the left of the grid in Axe edit. Either turn the threshold all the way down so it's off or raise the Release parameter to a higher value so it closes the gate slower.

Thanks heaps everyone. Some great suggestions here and I'll give them a go today and report back.

Ive had the same issue and it was the input gate. I had mine set too agressive, backed it off and good to go.

Does it sound like what can be heard on the intro of "Drop Dead Legs" as the notes ring out?

Or on this amp demo starting around 3:00 (link below should be time-stamped)

There have been some threads on the forum in the past about this "ghost fizz", and the conclusion seems to be that this is something that real amps do.

Good discussion here:
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/ghost-fizz.77539/page-5#post-946546

Yep, start of Drop Dead Legs is in the ball park. Great advice in your post, thanks!

Crackliness of the note decay is dependent upon how hard the clipping is. If it's the power amp clipping this is dependent on the hardness of the power tubes (Power Amp Hardness) and the amount of negative feedback (less = softer). If it's the preamp clipping it's dependent on the hardness of the preamp tube (Preamp Hardness) and the negative feedback around the last stage (not user adjustable).

A JCM 800, for example, crackles like crazy because there is a lot of feedback on the last preamp stage (since there is no cathode bypass cap). A Friedman BE-100 preamp is similar to a JCM 800 but it has a cathode bypass cap on the last stage and the resulting distortion is much smoother.

As always,Your beneficent Tech-speak has as always proven to be profoundly invaluable.
Thank you Cliff for your ample much coveted input!

Crackliness of the note decay is dependent upon how hard the clipping is. If it's the power amp clipping this is dependent on the hardness of the power tubes (Power Amp Hardness) and the amount of negative feedback (less = softer). If it's the preamp clipping it's dependent on the hardness of the preamp tube (Preamp Hardness) and the negative feedback around the last stage (not user adjustable).

A JCM 800, for example, crackles like crazy because there is a lot of feedback on the last preamp stage (since there is no cathode bypass cap). A Friedman BE-100 preamp is similar to a JCM 800 but it has a cathode bypass cap on the last stage and the resulting distortion is much smoother.
Thanks so much for chiming in - I had no idea about these amp factors - just takes the Fractal realism levels to off the charts good!

Hi Eveyone,

I want to say i have something similar but mine seems to be way more harsh, I turned off all gates and it still seems like the axe does not sound right

for starts my sustain is way to short with a VAI type sound or a maiden type sound (tried may many persets they seem the same

I turned off all input gates (turned know all the way left to off .. and made sure non were in the chain .. I know it's not my speakers my kemper sounded way better (not knocking fas i feel its just some setting some place)

running straight into a set of headrush frfr-108s The only thing that sound good is the petrucci profile (mesa) cuz it's so scooped it cuts the highs.

Back
Top Bottom