Crackling noise when I play... [CLOSED]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are any of the affected players using real power conditioners? ... The pops you hear are likely 1 of 2 things. (1) Clipping, or (2) ground pops. (Which do sometime accumulate and release) IMHO this is the likely culprit for most of the noise you are hearing.
Well it's definitely not clipping which is causing my problem....I'm not currently using a power conditioner. Can you recommend one? I don't have high hopes it will sovle anything. I'm not having problems with other gear and if there was a problem, figure it would be there on reboot too but it disappears. Thanks for the post.

I hear the same crackling with my Axe Fx II. Today was the first time I used the Axe II at really loud volumes with the band and noticed exactly the same crackling. Until today I used the Axe Fx II only at living-room volumes and didn't notice it.
I hear it on both channels, but I think it's louder on the left side. I use a wireless system and xlr cable into the mixing board. I changed every cable but it did not help. Probably something with the wireless system? It's a Line6 G50.

BUMP!

I've the same situation and the same problem (FW 4.01 but without wireless ...). And I have a little Furmann Conditioner in my rack (M-10x E). Hope for a solution in one of the next updates ....

Last edited:
Meanwhile I found a solution which works for me. It's keeping the Amp-Level (not the Master, the Level in the Mixer) very low. Between -30 and -40 db. If I go higher than approx -25db the crackling occurs. Must be some kind of internal clipping but without noting this via clipping LED.

But I still have the feeling that the crackling is louder if I attach the MFC via Cat5. Could be some acoustical illusion, though :)

Last edited:
I'm not sure if this is the same problem I'm having, got my Axe-FX II right before xmas and sometimes when I use headphones plugged into the front of the unit I get this crackling noise but only on the left side, sometimes it's there, sometimes it isn't, I don't think it gets recorded if I were to record through the USB which is my current solution at the moment before I get a new interface.
Tried plugging in my friends monitors in the outputs on the back and once again, only noise on the left channel, so we plugged output 1 L to his interface and there was a crackling noise, we switched it to output 1 R and it was gone, so I don't know if there's something wrong with my unit or if this is a common problem.
I am currently using the Axe-FX as an usb interface to use with my headphones so whenever I'm watching movies or whatever at night I get this crackling noise and it gets louder the louder I crank the output level.
Anyone heard about this?

I hear the crackling very clearly in both.

That's because I've had this for months in one of my 2nd hand Roland monitors as well. These annoying little pops/puffs every so many seconds. It would *really* irritate me! (haven't checked my new Axe yet, I'm almost fearful now...)
The monitor is now fixed by Roland and I believe it was some problem w the power supply (sometims it would also make one very loud pop shortly after power-up). That is to say, I consider it "93% fixed", but will consider what's left as general small disturbances (dirty electricity?) I can easily live with. They occur even if nothing is connected. If I connect my mixer & stuff, I get more distrubances again because it's probably picking up stuff.

Phew, I just tried it out a few hours and it seems I only have terrible crackling in Preset 109... You?

Things to try solving crackling noise

I do not own a unit yet, as I am somewhere on a waiting list.
But what I can say from experience with recording and repairs
And digital recording, is noise can often be a result of switchmode power supplies.
I am guessing that the fractal gear uses switchmode power supplies. ( does not imply a issue, just a note)
The noise I have dealt with in a recording environment is usually digital sync/ conversion,
Or the noise generated by switchmode supplies.
If you are recording via xlr/RCA outputs and you have digital noise try going via a isolated DI box with the earth lifted.
If you are recording into a laptop, try running it on batteries only.
I have had many times in the studio a piece of gear that uses a switch mode supply, and have been able to eliminate weird noises via using a isolated mains supply (iso transformer) or via a audio transformer DI.
As I don't own a Fractal unit yet I cannot comment on their inbuilt power supply.
recording via a laptop:- the only laptop I have not experienced noise from is my MacBook Pro.
I find dell laptops, and compaq etc their ext power supplies cause noise, whether recording via USB or audio,
But as soon as I run on batteries only the issue is gone, or I use isolation as per above.
Some desktop PC's can be a issue as well.
I am curious to find if this helps, as I am in the market for a new axe fx II, but I would be happier if these issues were not their.

Just figured out that some of the crackling noise is actually synced to the tempo on the Axe-FX, very odd.
Could anyone who's also experiencing this problem try switching tempo when crackling noise occurs and see if you've got the same odd problem?

Did anyone manage to resolve this it's happening with my axe fx aswell.

I know it's isn't normal cos my mates is set up exactly the same

Well my axe fx 2 works fine, just some times when I turn it on and play I get a crackeling sound in the background all the time while I'm playing. I turn it off and turn it on again and it's fine, it's doing my head in. I purchased it 2nd hand and it's just out of the year warrentee. I don't no if it's something that can be fixed tho

It comes from the xlr outputs, 1/4 outputs, headphone jack.

It's soooooo annoying. Surely some one has found a solution

I have updated the firmware several times, I have tried on different presets, I have tried restoring it too factory settings and nothing has worked

Just figured out that some of the crackling noise is actually synced to the tempo on the Axe-FX, very odd.
Could anyone who's also experiencing this problem try switching tempo when crackling noise occurs and see if you've got the same odd problem?

2 things to look at: If you have a midi foot controller and you are allowing your guitar cable to run in parallel to the midi cable, you can sometimes get cross-talk from the midi stream, and this could explain how it appears linked to tempo.
secondly, anyone hearing crackle that is running a preset with more CPU usage than 85% could conceivably hear a crackle through any of the audio outputs, while their USB is connected. Try unplugging anything from your USB jack of the Axe, OR better yet, delete something in the preset that you don't happen to be using at the moment - maybe you have a drive block in that preset, but it is bypassed? Try deleting that block and reattaching the shunts to restore audio (if they were severed when you deleted the block), and see if reducing your cpu percentage so that it is well below 85%, eliminates the crackle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom