Cover band players: set up questions amps and effects…

I've found the Dirty Shirley models to be excellent for this, and a generic enough sound that is satisfying to play without being too "pokey". Plus the control switches for boost, fat, bright and sat, makes for a super versatile amp!

Created a master preset with the DS and York Audio's KW U67 IR - tweaked 4 channels to cover clean, low gain, heavier, and high gain - added a comp, drive, and delay. Then duplicated that to separate presets per song with any special effects (Black Hole Sun verse cleans, trem and synth leads for Bad Touch), and a few one-offs like using a Recto for a Creed medley

Could get away with using the sounds I love for original music though, and the audience probably wouldn't care as long as it doesn't sound like using a vintage fuzz tone for modern rock or vice versa
1 - Shiver
2 - Shiver with shimmer boost
3 - USA Lead / Tucana
4 - USA Lead with ideal SAT / Tucana

Clean but edge of break up to slightly breaking up, use volume on gtr or pedal to vary.
Crunch
Heavy rhythm
Lead most gain

I have a filter block used as a few db boost that can be added to any base sound to push it up

Some verb and 2 delays
Chorus and other fox added as needed.
Amps remain the same eg dlx verb for clean, various levels of gain on shiva lead for example and usually an of pedal set as gain boost. Same irs for each scene. I treat it like a live rig.

My presets normally look like this:
1. Clean + comp
2. Breakup
3. Clean Amp + Drive OR more Amp gain
4. Acdc type crunch with amp 2
5. More gain
6. Solo
7. Breakup Wet but with comp
8. Solo Wet

I usually use only 2 amps. Like a Vox and a Marshall for example. So I get basically two different crunchy drive flavours and one higher gain. I dont use scene 1 much. It is more like a funk style clean.
Scenes 7&8 can vary, depends on what I need direct access to in the gig but normally they are as described.

I have one footswitch (hold function) which is always the same through all my presets for the preamp amp boost so I could always have “more”. Another footswitch does the same but for a phaser. Another one for a chorus.

I try to “match” the amps, like when I use a plexi for amp 2 I use a jtm for amp 1 or even a shiva clean.

My favorite combos with this layout is:
Shiva clean as Amp 1 (first 3 scenes) + various plexis, rockerverb or the new revv.
Surprisingly good for this style is also the SLO100. With rhythm for amp 1 and lead channel for amp 2.
Otherwise I the Vox styles as amp 1 and something like the suhr badger for amp 2.

Sometimes I dont even use a secondary amp, most plexis and vox styles are pretty flexible, so I adjust Gain or Input Trim for the scenes and thats it. But always with this layout.

Pretty simple.

I made a “template” for this so I can just swap amps in and out and dont need to change the effects every time. If you want, I can share it next time when I am at my fm9 =)

I’ve been using the same layout principles since I had a Boss GT-8. I’ve used it across that, FC1010, MFC, and now the FC-12:
a) Five basic sounds across the bottom row of buttons: Clean, Edgy, Crunchy, Lead, and Acoustic.
b) FX on/off across the top row
c) Wah and Volume pedals on the right hand side, with Tuner on zero volume.

I use the same IR mix, and four different setting of the same Amp type, across everything. I have access to variety, but constantly swapping doesn’t help the listeners ear.

1- ods clean
2- ods breakup (same channel with a drive)
3- crunch : HBE v1
4- distortion : HBE v1 (same channel but with modifiers)
5- full lead : scene 4 + drive and effect
6 - crunch lead (scene 3+ drive and effect)
7 - breakup lead (scene 2 with different drive)
8 - clean lead (scene 1 + drive and effect)

Same irs for all (60-61 gb and v30)except différents low cut and high cut on clean and breakup scenes.

4/5 hours shows with any style ever created lol.
Care to share the preset? I'm interested in this approach, as I've had lead volume difficulty across different scenes in live performances.

I make switches 1-6 scenes and 7-9 effects. I get through 3 hour gigs with one preset.

1. Sparkling clean (Shiva clean)
2. Mid gain rhythm (TC50 blue)
3. Mid gain lead (TC50 blue)
4. High gain lead (TC50 red)
5. High gain rhythm (TC50 red)
6. Acoustic patch for piezo
7. Chorus on/off
8. Phaser on/off
9. Overdrive on/off. Set for Tubescreamer clean boost for scenes 2-5, but bluesy tone for scene 1.

Back
Top Bottom