Cover band guys!

dkenin

Inspired
Anybody in a cover band have presets by songs?

I'd love to start exchanging songs based by song for those of you guys working on the weekends doing the bar circuit. I don't know if people would have use for song specific presets at the Axe Change, but for the guys that need to recreate somebody else's sound it would be nice to exchange some songs!

Anyway, when I get home I'll give you guys a couple of the ones I use out live.

Thanks,

Dave

Sounds good, I am about to start gigging again after a seven year break.
It will be interesting to see the songs other guys are doing. I will post my attempts when we decide on the final set list.

I am in a cover band and I only use a couple of presets (with multiple scenes) to cover about 200 songs in our book.

There are really two ways to approach this

1. Drive yourself crazy by trying to create a preset per song
2. Approach your rig like you did your analog rig and pedalboard

I use the second method. After a few gigs I guarantee you will have those couple of presets dialed in like a pro and sound great!

I'm in three covers bands and have a separate preset for every song. However, I use the global amp settings, which I believe don't get saved with the .syx file. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong). I also run into an Atomic 50/50 and speakers, no FRFR. I therefore don't know how useful other users would find my presets...

I'm in three covers bands and have a separate preset for every song. However, I use the global amp settings, which I believe don't get saved with the .syx file. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong). I also run into an Atomic 50/50 and speakers, no FRFR. I therefore don't know how useful other users would find my presets...

All the global block settings should be in the system file when you do a system backup from Fractal-Bot. To recreate your settings at the time of the dump you need both the system.syx file and the bank(a|b|c).syx file.

All the global block settings should be in the system file when you do a system backup from Fractal-Bot. To recreate your settings at the time of the dump you need both the system.syx file and the bank(a|b|c).syx file.
Why do you need a bank file? Not the preset file?

Personally I do not unless it's something that is a signature of the song. I have a good clean tone, a marshall crunch tone, a half gained recto, full on recto and a lead patch. I can cover everything with these. We do a song by Incubus called dig, that is a pretty effected song, so I have a preset for it, but that's the only one.

I play in a couple of cover bands, and I've been wanting to take the "preset-per-song" approach, at least for a handful of select songs. But I haven't gotten around to it yet - I've been getting by pretty well using just 4 patches.

That being said, I would welcome the idea of trying out and sharing song-specific patches assuming they were converted to use non-global blocks.

I am about to follow LVC's method. I have been trying the preset/song approach...to time consuming to look for the patch on a song list, and doing the "dance" on the pedal board. Just a couple of "signature" patches needed.
The FX is great, but not winning any brownie points with the band waiting for me to stomp up patches.
I have the lap top with a spread sheet open, sitting on top. Going to stop with that, leave the LT for NI's Amplitube / external sound card for a gig spare in the event my FX craps out.

Some songs I used shared patches others have there own. The custom patches are usually stuff I use the GR-55 synth for. I normally program my patches so the scenes are in sequence for the song. No pedal dance for me, just press the next scene pedal for each change.

ahhh good point, you could go insane switching tones, but the authenticity can be achieved at a much higher level with the AXE FX. I remember I used to have a patch that had the Ray Gun from Rebel Yell. Also some Pink Floyd patches need their own spot. I have one just for sublime (JC 120 and Rectifier), chorus, flange, wah, and compression for some of those upstrokes.

Maybe somewhere in the middle, type of music, genre etc.

I have a patch for country, tons of compression, tremolo, EQ that turns my guitar into a tele, reverb, for a paisley and urban tune.

My funk clean is different than my pop as well.

I am about to follow LVC's method. I have been trying the preset/song approach...to time consuming to look for the patch on a song list, and doing the "dance" on the pedal board. Just a couple of "signature" patches needed.
The FX is great, but not winning any brownie points with the band waiting for me to stomp up patches.
I have the lap top with a spread sheet open, sitting on top. Going to stop with that, leave the LT for NI's Amplitube / external sound card for a gig spare in the event my FX craps out.

I tried the other method and it did not work for me. For the folks that can do that god bless them.

I have 5 basic patches (4 plus one wildcard) and I probably do about 80% of the tunes with one patch with 5 scenes.... and to be honest about it -- I can probably go all night with one patch with the 5 scenes.

All I can say is thank God for scenes ... I can barely walk these days let alone do the pedal dance!

yeah, we play 60-70 songs a night and i cover it with one patch and x/y settings in the amp and fx blocks....and that's everything from dwight yoakam to jason aldean to keith urban to zz top to bon jovi to travi tritt to johnny cash (you get the picture).

I also play in a few cover bands, but don't try and match each song , 2 long sets usually , around 50 -55 songs!I have around 10 or 12 patches I use 2,cleans -3 crunch -2 or3 Driving Rock , a heavy patch and a couple song specific patches, Get them in the ballpark and Cover a lot of ground ! But this is a great idea!!

i take the same approach. we have about 60 or 70 songs in total, but only do 1hr45m a night, usually. most are handled by 6 or 7 patches and then i have a few more for specific tunes. i use externals to switch stuff off and on as needed to get the variety.

Back
Top Bottom