Couple of questions before purchase an Axe-Fx

Hi fellas. I'm planning to get an Axe-fx after hearing all of the hypes about it and these smoking demos from you guys. The problem is I can't afford it without selling my Mesa Mark IV which kinda does the job for me right now but pretty limited with 3 channels. Not to mention the whole rig is heavy to lug around. Before making the final decision can you guys tell me how does the Axe-fx compare to a real tube amp? Can it behave like a real tube amp when cranked? I mean, does the sound get better and kinda "kick your head off" when played in a really really loud situation? I'm gonna get a power amp and a cab to run it through BTW. Much appreciate any info. Thanks!

I'd sell something else to fund your AxeFx. The AxeFx may well replace your Mark IV over time but it takes some experimentation to find the sound you are looking for. If you sell the Mark IV first, it may be too much pressure. I've sold nearly all my analog stuff but not until the dust had built up a bit. Just my opinion . . . .

cheers,

Thanks Jed for the advice. There's nothing now can fund the Axe-fx, except for a loan that I don't like to have. But thanks anyway
Any comments on the crank bit?

BoogieEngineer said:
Before making the final decision can you guys tell me how does the Axe-fx compare to a real tube amp? Can it behave like a real tube amp when cranked? I mean, does the sound get better and kinda "kick your head off" when played in a really really loud situation? I'm gonna get a power amp and a cab to run it through BTW. Much appreciate any info. Thanks!
To answer this question you have to know how the axe-fx (and any tube amp) works.

A tube amp sounds "cranked" when the master is up high. On the Axe-fx you can crank the master without having the volume at "ear splitting" levels. On a tube amp you would have to have it up at a really high volume to get that sound.

Of course, cabs play a factor too.

Let me put it this way. If you have a real JCM800 with the master at 2 oclock next to the axe-fx with the master at 2...and you set them to the same db level... They will sound about the same through the same cab.

The Axe-Fx responds like a tube amp.

You get all the sag, damping, thump, warmth and depth you expect from a tube power section - plus, you get control over those individual parameters. You can tweak any of those, as well as advanced values like Bias, B+ capacitance and bright-cap values - without firing up your soldering iron.

You can use the Axe-Fx with either SS or tube power amps, but either way you go, make sure you have lots of clean power. You want plenty of clean headroom to let the Axe-Fx sing.

james... said:
BoogieEngineer said:
Before making the final decision can you guys tell me how does the Axe-fx compare to a real tube amp? Can it behave like a real tube amp when cranked? I mean, does the sound get better and kinda "kick your head off" when played in a really really loud situation? I'm gonna get a power amp and a cab to run it through BTW. Much appreciate any info. Thanks!
To answer this question you have to know how the axe-fx (and any tube amp) works.

A tube amp sounds "cranked" when the master is up high. On the Axe-fx you can crank the master without having the volume at "ear splitting" levels. On a tube amp you would have to have it up at a really high volume to get that sound.

Of course, cabs play a factor too.

Let me put it this way. If you have a real JCM800 with the master at 2 oclock next to the axe-fx with the master at 2...and you set them to the same db level... They will sound about the same through the same cab.

xrist04 said:
The Axe-Fx responds like a tube amp.

You get all the sag, damping, thump, warmth and depth you expect from a tube power section - plus, you get control over those individual parameters. You can tweak any of those, as well as advanced values like Bias, B+ capacitance and bright-cap values - without firing up your soldering iron.

You can use the Axe-Fx with either SS or tube power amps, but either way you go, make sure you have lots of clean power. You want plenty of clean headroom to let the Axe-Fx sing.
Thanks guys. That's the answer I expected. I've heard this dude on another board saying the Axe-fx can get thinner when the volume is really loud and that was turning me off a bit.
Firstpenguin said:
Are we talking about the axe-fx alone, or do you mean the whole kit and kaboodle (speakers, foot controller, ect)?
Does the footcontroller have something to do with loudness?? I was just talking if I were to run the Axe-fx straight into a power amp and a cab

being that that the mk4 has been discontinued i would hold on to it just because of that...that amp has alot of history.. i still have my early 90's small logo dual rec...i was tempted to sell but if i would have sold it and not liked the axe i would have been out of alot.. i bit the bullet and saved... and it does sound good cranked, and i have a ss power amp...it does sound better with a tube power amp if you play at those volumes where you can take advantage of it...
bottom line if i were you i would not sell the boogie..

As for the Axe-FX sounding thinner at higher volumes, I suspect whoever made that comment is someone that doesn't understand that you have to tweak your patches to the environment and at least in the ballpark of the volume at which you expect to play. Getting all your patches the way you want them in the bedroom and then trying to crank them up when your gigging won't cut it. But if you spend some time dialing in your patches in for gigging in a gigging environment, there's nothing thin about it. It can make your butt-hair buzz.

I hope BoogieEngineer doesn't mind me jumping on his thread with a slightly different angle...

About 99% of my electric playing is in my home studio (yeah, I know)...

How have you guys/gals found the AxeFX as an alternative to recording with a real tube amp through a good speaker simulator (I use a Sequis Motherload)? Are they comparable sonically? Or is it just that the AxeFX is simply more convenient?

Thanks in advance for any advice: I keep getting as far as "Add to cart" then pausing...

hughmcevoy said:
How have you guys/gals found the AxeFX as an alternative to recording with a real tube amp through a good speaker simulator (I use a Sequis Motherload)? Are they comparable sonically? Or is it just that the AxeFX is simply more convenient?
You may find that the Axe-Fx's speaker cabinet emulations are preferable to the Sequis Motherload.

As you know, the Axe-Fx uses 1024-point impulse response (IR) technology to provide highly-accurate models of 39 different cabs. There's also room for you to upload ten of your own favorite IRs to the User slots.

Many people prefer the sounds they get with IRs to the sounds produced by simple resonant filtering.

BoogieEngineer said:
Thanks guys. That's the answer I expected. I've heard this dude on another board saying the Axe-fx can get thinner when the volume is really loud and that was turning me off a bit.

Just one person's observation and, without knowing his proficiency with the unit, I would guess that he just hasn't properly EQ'd the Axe for high volumes. It's no different then a tube amp... you usually have to play around with the tone controls when playing very loud vs playing more softly, so why should it be any different with the Axe? :cool:

mwc2112 said:
BoogieEngineer said:

Just one person's observation and, without knowing his proficiency with the unit, I would guess that he just hasn't properly EQ'd the Axe for high volumes. It's no different then a tube amp... you usually have to play around with the tone controls when playing very loud vs playing more softly, so why should it be any different with the Axe? :cool:
I agree. This makes it really great then. Can't wait to order one!

BoogieEngineer said:
Thanks Jed for the advice. There's nothing now can fund the Axe-fx, except for a loan that I don't like to have...

Here's your solution:

1. Get the loan!!
2. Buy the Axe-Fx
3. Try it out for the 14 day trial period.
-If you like the Axe-Fx and feel like it can replace your Mark IV, then sell the Mark IV and pay off the loan right away.
-If you don't think the Axe-Fx can replace your Mark IV, then give the Axe-Fx back and get your money back and pay off the loan right away.

In either situation, you get to try out the Axe-Fx without losing any money other than a one month interest payment (7% anually x $2500 = $15 a month) and the shipping cost to send the Axe-Fx back (although Fractal may pay this, I don't know). You have to try it out for yourself before making a big decision. This is the way to do it without it costing you much money at all and not having a big loan over your head. Use the loan for what it is created for and don't think of it as a long time repayment. Make the loan work for you.

BTW - you guys are all great ambassadors for this impressive device.

I just wanted to let you know: after posting a couple of times and reading all the friendly & open advice, I bit the bullet and placed an order for an Ultra today.

I'll let you know how I get on... ;)

Ummm - Id say use the money back trial time.

No idea how quick Mk 4s sell in the states, but Id get the loan if possible to tie you over.

FWIW, I bought the axe before selling anything off. I could use it just as an FX unit if I didnt like the amp sounds.

As it is my VHTs history. After 2-3 weeks playing, I put a patch together to replecate my amp (and yours is modelled in the axe - mine wasnt). In a blind test, a mate of mine (who uses an Orange Thundderverb) couldnt tell the difference.

Guys, appreciate your advice but my IV's gone now so there's no turning back :| . I'm in Australia and shipping the unit back and forth would cost a fortune.

Back
Top Bottom