Copying Scenes to an different Preset?

VegasDude

Hi there folks! Brand new user here. I was trying to look for a way to create a Preset with Scenes from various other presets and have not been able to find a way. Is there, in fact, a way to copy a scene from one Preset to another Preset? Without making an entire copy of the Preset? I'd like to mix and match Scenes from other presets into a new singular Preset.

Thanks!

No, the scene is linked to a preset: in another preset you can have different blocks, shunt and grid positioning... "cloning" the preset is just one particular use of the preset (I do have different copy of a preset, with different scenes and channel).

Each preset is an individual, static 'rig'. Blocks and their order in the grid cannot be added/removed or changed using scenes.

The Axe III manual explains what scenes are, what they can do and examples of how to use them:
Page 9- Intro to Scenes and Channels.
Page 43- Scenes and Channels.

Is there […] a way to copy a scene from one Preset to another Preset? Without making an entire copy of the Preset? I'd like to mix and match Scenes from other presets into a new singular Preset.
Blending scenes between presets requires that all blocks in each scene be added into the destination preset, in the same order in the layout, and the channels in each block be enabled or bypassed correctly, and the parameters adjusted accordingly to the channel’s settings.

Look at two similar presets. If the blocks vary in their order the software could not determine how you wanted them to be arranged when it was done, but we know it wouldn’t sound right. If two of the same blocks existed, what is the software to do with channels that are conflicting?

The software can’t make those decisions with any sort of reasonable success rate. And what will people do when it fails?

It requires us to analyze the presets, find the commonalities in the blocks, then dive in and find how each channel is used, then begin combining them together. It’s a tough enough thing for us to do, it’s not something that software can do with any sort of reliability.

For continuity of effects, I created a 'master' preset with all my favorite effects, and then made four copies, only changing the amp, cab and drive blocks. I essentially have the same virtual pedalboard running into four different amps, giving me clean, edge of breakup, overdriven and high gain tones. I set up my FC-12 so that 2 of the foot switches give me access to all 4 amps (presets) and with all the effects blocks being identical, there's minimal latency and no hiccups. I also set up the delay and reverb blocks to spill over so that when you switch presets the tails don't get cut off. Hope this helps.

Blending scenes between presets requires that all blocks in each scene be added into the destination preset, in the same order in the layout, and the channels in each block be enabled or bypassed correctly, and the parameters adjusted accordingly to the channel’s settings.

Look at two similar presets. If the blocks vary in their order the software could not determine how you wanted them to be arranged when it was done, but we know it wouldn’t sound right. If two of the same blocks existed, what is the software to do with channels that are conflicting?

The software can’t make those decisions with any sort of reasonable success rate. And what will people do when it fails?

It requires us to analyze the presets, find the commonalities in the blocks, then dive in and find how each channel is used, then begin combining them together. It’s a tough enough thing for us to do, it’s not something that software can do with any sort of reliability.
Thinking on this, I can see now, architecturally, how this would not work. Bringing in scenes from other presets would break the bank in terms of processing power to include all of the different blocks from the different scenes. That makes total sense. Thanks for joggin' the ol noggin'! :)

For continuity of effects, I created a 'master' preset with all my favorite effects, and then made four copies, only changing the amp, cab and drive blocks. I essentially have the same virtual pedalboard running into four different amps, giving me clean, edge of breakup, overdriven and high gain tones. I set up my FC-12 so that 2 of the foot switches give me access to all 4 amps (presets) and with all the effects blocks being identical, there's minimal latency and no hiccups. I also set up the delay and reverb blocks to spill over so that when you switch presets the tails don't get cut off. Hope this helps.
It does. I've been racking my brain on foot controller strategies to minimize inefficiencies. There's so much flexibility here! I'm moving towards something similar. But I think the setlist option mentioned above is probably what will really do the trick.

I'd start by thinking about what parts of the preset you want to copy from that scene. Is it basically the amp and cab(s)? The drives and other before-the-amp effects? Post amp effects?

I have a template preset with the set of effects I commonly use. It's easy to copy an amp and/or cab channel from another preset into an amp and/or cab channel of that template, if that's the pieces I want to grab.

Same with effects, except that there's more chance of the whole routing arrangement being different. In that case you may be able to add the needed set of effects in some desired locations, possibly reusing some of what's already there, or not, gotta compare the two presets to see. You may also need to tweak your FC layout(s) or per-preset switches to control the new blocks.

Bottom line is that you need to figure out what pieces you need to move over, and hand knit them into the destination preset in appropriate places.

It's often doable, but there's no shortcut to doing the thinking and the work.

Don't be surprised or disappointed if you end up re-thinking that strategy over time as you gain more experience and come up with more fun "will it do that?" ideas. I know many of us here have gone through multiple iterations of foot controller strategies.
I can easily get behind that. I don't know how many times Ive built the same patch over and over. Finding other and to me, new ways of using the available resources. Have owned the fx3 for 4 years now, and still learning a lot. And I tweak generally about 3 + days a week.

This is actually what I find the most impressive with the unit!

I can easily get behind that. I don't know how many times Ive built the same patch over and over. Finding other and to me, new ways of using the available resources. Have owned the fx3 for 4 years now, and still learning a lot. And I tweak generally about 3 + days a week.

This is actually what I find the most impressive with the unit!
Amazing! I've already had 3 iterations!!

Back
Top Bottom