copy out 1 to out 2 ? OTHER I/O Questions?

boardwlk17

Power User
I run my axefx2 out 1 foh,frfr,headphones global cab sims on and out 2 goes through fx loop block bypassing the cab block for power amp into Marshall cabs
In my I/O-audio
Main input- analog in 1
Input 1 mode-left only
Input 2 mode-left only
Output 1 -stereo
Output 1 boost/pad-0 db
Output 1 phase-normal
Output 2 mode-stereo
Output 2 boost/pad 0 DB
Output 2 phase-normal
* copy out 1 to out 2-off how should this be set?
Spdif/ads select- SPDIF ?what's this for?
USB/DIGI out sourse- output 1

MIDI-Any special settings I need to know about?

CTRL-
Input vol-none
Out1 vol-none
Out2 vol-12
Bypass-13
Scene incr,decr-- pedal?
Scene select-- 34 ?
You have flange,rev,gate,ect -bypass and numbers 55,60,63
So you can bypass fx what would you use this for?

output mode 1,2 are stereo-phase normal-0db Boost
PEDAL
Pedal type-continuous?
Preset incr,start,end and pedal Cal?
X/Y quick jump assign- amp-1 there both set to amp 1
What's this for?

Copy out 1 to out 2 don't know if I have this set right?
And can I change output 1 from stereo to mono for FOH if the pa is mono
Without effecting my patch that goes stereo into matrix and marshall cabs through fx loop block
The rest of the stuff trying to see if everything is set right and learn some more.

Copy Out1 to Out2 doesn't do anything if you have an FX Loop block in your preset. Otherwise it duplicates the signal arriving at output 1 to the Output 2 jacks with its own volume.

Here's this from the Wiki:

Audio Parameters
Routing and format parameters appear on the AUDIO page of the I/O menu.

MAIN INPUT SOURCE (ANALOG (IN 1)/USB/SPDIF-AES)
This selects which one of several input sources should be routed to the Input of the grid. “ANALOG (IN 1)” selects the front INSTR input jack or the rear INPUT 1 jacks, based on the setting of INPUT 1 LEFT SELECT (below). When “USB” is selected, the Axe-Fx II will process signals sent from the AXE-FX II OUT 0 and AXE-FX II OUT 1 audio outputs of the connected computer. When “SPDIF/AES” is selected, the digital inputs of the Axe-Fx II will be used.
INPUT 1 LEFT SELECT (REAR/FRONT)
When “ANALOG (IN1)” is selected as the Main Input Source (above), this determines whether the front INSTR input jack or the rear IN1 LEFT/MONO jack should be used as the LEFT channel of the input signal. This option defeats the jack that is NOT selected.
INPUT 1 MODE (LEFT ONLY/L+R SUM/STEREO)
This determines whether the signal received at INPUT 1 will be processed in stereo or mono, and, if in mono, whether the “LEFT ONLY” or a sum of both channels should be used. For typical “Guitar In/Processed Stereo Audio Out” applications, use default settings: MAIN INPUT SOURCE to ANALOG (IN1), INPUT 1 LEFT SELECT to FRONT, and INPUT 1 MODE to LEFT ONLY.
INPUT 2 MODE (LEFT ONLY/L+R SUM/STEREO)
This determines how the Axe-Fx II handles signals received at the balanced INPUT 2 (“FX RETURN”) jacks, setting whether they should be processed in stereo or mono, and, if in mono, whether the “LEFT ONLY” or a sum of L+R channels should be used. The outputs of the connected device and the nature of the source material will determine which setting is best.
OUTPUT 1 MODE (STEREO/SUM L+R/COPY L>R)
This determines how OUTPUT 1 signals will be processed after the output mixer of the grid. This control makes it easy to use the same Axe-Fx II presets in a variety of stereo and mono performance or recording environments. The decision to use SUM L+R or COPY L>R should be based on the source material.
OUTPUT 1 BOOST/PAD (0-18 dB)
Firstly, this is NOT a boost intended for use during musical performance, as you might find on an amp or pedal. Rather, this parameter is designed to boost signals to the OUT1 D/A converters so they can operate as close to full-scale as possible, while simultaneously padding converter outputs to lower the noise floor. To set this control, increase the boost/pad amount until hard playing on a loud preset causes the front panel OUT1 CLIP LED to light. Then reduce the Boost/Pad setting a few dBs to prevent further clipping. Note that the BOOST amount is also applied to outgoing DIGITAL or USB signals.
OUTPUT 1 PHASE (NORMAL/INVERT)
This determines whether signal at the OUTPUT 1 jacks will be normal or phase-inverted relative to its state at the output of the grid. This lets you compensate for inversions elsewhere in the signal chain. Note that this inverts BOTH channels of the stereo pair.
OUTPUT 2 MODE (LEFT ONLY/L+R SUM/STEREO)
This determines how signals will be processed after leaving the output mixer of the FX LOOP block, or after being created as a COPY of OUT 1 (see below). This control makes it possible to use the same FX-LOOP-block-based presets in either stereo or mono conditions, or to use OUT 2 to create a mono copy of the stereo signal appearing at OUT 1.
OUTPUT 2 BOOST/PAD (0-18 dB)
See OUTPUT 1 Boost/Pad, above.
OUTPUT 2 PHASE (NORMAL/INVERT)
See OUTPUT 1 Phase, above.
COPY OUT 1 TO OUT 2 (OFF/ON)
This switch causes OUT 2 to be fed by a copy of OUT 1 instead of the signal from the FX LOOP block. Its use is suited to a wide range of applications such as feeding amps and a recorder at the same time, sending identical signals to Front of House and Stage monitors while retaining separate front panel knob level control over each, using the Axe-Fx II simultaneously with both Stereo and Mono systems (see Output 1/2 Mode above), and more.
SPDIF/AES SELECT (SPDIF/AES)
This switch selects whether the S/PDIF or AES digital inputs and outputs are active. Only one may be active at any time.
USB/DIGI SOURCE (OUTPUT1/OUTPUT2/INPUT)
This selects the signal that will feed both the digital outs and the “AXE-FX II IN 0“ and “AXE-FX II IN 1“ inputs of a computer connected via USB. A USB 2.0 compliant host will also have a dry input pair, making it possible to record the MAIN INPUT signal of the Axe-Fx II at the same time as the source selected here.

If the PA is mono, you may just want to leave the Axe in stereo and just give one cable to the mixer - setting it to a mono mode can cause phase cancellation.

Here's this from the manual:

Mono Summing vs. Splitting – When you need to run the Axe-Fx II in MONO, several options determine how otherwise stereo signals will be processed:
a. Half-Stereo: By leaving the Axe-Fx II in stereo and connecting only the left main output to a mono input, you get “half-stereo.” This works fine, with the caveat that the right channel will not be heard! Panning will impart volume changes, and the Ping-Pong Delay and other wide effects will need adjustment to be heard somewhat as intended. Tone may also change if panned cabs or amps have been used.
b. Summed Mono: By choosing “SUM L+R” mode for either OUTPUT 1 or OUTPUT 2, the two channels are added together and the resulting signal produced at both LEFT and RIGHT jacks. This has the advantage of including all sounds intended for both stereo channels, but short delay or phase differences between channels can result in strange artifacts or even total cancellation. This setting is best when you’re confident that the presets you’ll be playing have been designed for, or tested, in a SUMMED MONO listening environment. The Enhancer block and other short delays could be problematic (including very short reverbs or the room simulator in the CAB block). PHASE REVERSE switches should also be set to “OFF” when using this setting.
c. Dual Mono: By choosing “COPY L>R” mode for either OUTPUT 1 or OUTPUT 2, you get a dual mono signal. The sound will be identical to that of half-stereo, with the same limitations, except it will be produced at both the left and right jacks. Use this setting when you want two mono outputs without the problems typically caused by summing L+R.

The Control page shows what CC midi numbers are used for bypassing effects using a controller like the MFC or other MIDI devices. leave that page alone.

The Pedal page is for a pedal connected to the Axe rear pedal jack. if you don't have one, no settings here are used.

Here's some info from the manual:

9.5 Pedal Parameters
The PEDAL page of the I/O menu contains parameters to set up and use an expression pedal or switch through the PEDAL jack on the rear panel of the Axe-Fx II. Simply connect the device, set its type, and perform a calibration if using a continuous-type expression pedal. The PEDAL function may be assigned to any of the items listed in the CONTROL page of the I/O menu (p. 139)
Any type of external switch may be used, as long as its contacts make and break the connection between tip and sleeve on a regular 1/4”1⁄4” guitar cable. Expression pedals should have a linear resistance taper and max resistance of 10kΩ to 100kΩ, and must be used with Tip-Ring-Sleeve (TRS) cables.
INPUT/OUTPUT PARAMETERS
PARAMETER
PRESET INCR
OFF/ON
PEDAL CAL
Description
When this is turned ON, a connected at the PEDAL jack may be used to increment presets.
To calibrate an expression pedal connected to the onboard PEDAL jack, first select this menu choice, then:
Press ENTER.
Move the pedal through its full range of motion several times. Press ENTER again when finished.
Switches, unlike pedals, do not need to be calibrated.

X/Y assign?
Here's some info from the manual:

9.6 X/Y Quick-Jump Assign
The QUICK-JUMP page of the I/O menu contains two parameters: X QUICK-JUMP ASSIGN and Y QUICK-JUMP ASSIGN.
In addition to their functions for X/Y Parameter switching (p. 36) the X and Y buttons are used for one-touch access to two edit menus of your choice. The EDIT menus of the blocks specified here will be opened instantly when you press X or Y in any screen of any menu except EDIT (including MODIFIER and SAVE/LOAD GLOBAL BLOCK) or STORE.

Chris, while we have you on the line ... first of all, thanks for all the great information, videos, and help that you provide to forum members, much appreciated.

Secondly, I need to get straight on balanced versus unbalanced inputs - maybe you or some other forum member can help,

My understanding is that:

1) Unbalanced signals are hi-impedance and are usually carried by 2 terminal conductors (e.g 1/4" - TS)
2) Balanced signals are low-impedance and are usually carried by 3 terminal conductors (e.g XLR or 1/4"- TRS)
3) You never want to send an unbalanced signal into a balanced input
4) You never want to send a balanced signal into an unbalanced input
5) You can convert an unbalanced signals to a balanced signals using a DI box
6) You can't convert balanced signals into unbalanced signals

What has me confused are applications (e.g your 2 guitar into one Axe video ) that seem to put an unbalanced signal into a balanced input - like when a TS guitar cable is plugged into the rear Input 1 which requires a TRS cable and balanced signal.

If you want to put an unbalanced signal into Inputs 1 or 2 shouldn't you use a DI box to convert the signal to balanced or perhaps risk damaging the electronics?

and

If you want to run the unbalanced out 1 and 2 into a balanced input (e.g mixer ) don't you need a DI box to convert?

Any insights are appreciated before I blow my Axe up with wrong connections ....

1) Unbalanced signals are hi-impedance and are usually carried by 2 terminal conductors (e.g 1/4" - TS)
2) Balanced signals are low-impedance and are usually carried by 3 terminal conductors (e.g XLR or 1/4"- TRS)
3) You never want to send an unbalanced signal into a balanced input
4) You never want to send a balanced signal into an unbalanced input
5) You can convert an unbalanced signals to a balanced signals using a DI box
6) You can't convert balanced signals into unbalanced signals

i've never heard anyone really say "never" in #3 and #4, but by design you are correct.

What has me confused are applications (e.g your 2 guitar into one Axe video ) that seem to put an unbalanced signal into a balanced input - like when a TS guitar cable is plugged into the rear Input 1 which requires a TRS cable and balanced signal.

If you want to put an unbalanced signal into Inputs 1 or 2 shouldn't you use a DI box to convert the signal to balanced or perhaps risk damaging the electronics?

and

If you want to run the unbalanced out 1 and 2 into a balanced input (e.g mixer ) don't you need a DI box to convert?

Any insights are appreciated before I blow my Axe up with wrong connections ....

you won't blow anything up with guitar level signals and line level outputs. there's no high current/voltage going on. you do have to be careful when dealing with Phantom power and/or Amp outputs and Speaker cables as these carry a high voltage and current to power things (mics, speakers, etc).

i'm not and engineer or electrician, so i don't know what's really going on when i use a TRS cable out of the unbalanced outputs then to an XLR, but it works well.

a DI box is mostly used before a PA mixer to change the impedance of a signal from hi to low to allow for longer cable runs with less interference. a side-effect is that the signal usually goes from unbalanced to balanced. you generally never use a DI box to go into the axe fx or any other effects device.

if you use the unbalanced outputs and hear noise or you are doing cable runs longer than 18 feet, then it may be better to use a DI box. but it's mostly to avoid noise and interference rather than avoiding damage.

as for the Unbalanced guitar cables going into Balanced inputs, it works - i was gonna explain some stuff like TRS and TS etc, but it works. you won't damage anything.

Hi guys.

I'm sorry I'm digging out this old post, but I am new to the Axe2 (converting from a Standard)
I'd love to keep my setup basically the same (Output 1 to FOH and Output 2 to my Atomics) but I have a problem

- I cannot seem to find the "COPY OUTPUT 1 TO OUTPUT 2" feature.

Please help me.
I'm on firmware 18.07 now but for the love of god cannot find that setting.

THX

Hi guys.

I'm sorry I'm digging out this old post, but I am new to the Axe2 (converting from a Standard)
I'd love to keep my setup basically the same (Output 1 to FOH and Output 2 to my Atomics) but I have a problem

- I cannot seem to find the "COPY OUTPUT 1 TO OUTPUT 2" feature.

Please help me.
I'm on firmware 18.07 now but for the love of god cannot find that setting.

THX

Look for ''OUTPUT 2 ECHO'', it was changed some times ago

Oh... alright.
I'll check that!
I thought that was some kind of Output Delay feature in case the FOH was a big amount later than the on stage monitors.
Thank you!
What exactly will I have to set it to?

Back
Top Bottom