Continuous airy hiss on headphones

For anyone curious. Apparently the Axe-III has a different kind of output circuit, and using the built-in power amp on the Mo-Fi isn't necessary. So, mystery solved.

Thanks, Charlie w/ Fractal support!
Ahah! So that’s the culprit. Yes, there’s plenty of output on the Axe III’s headphone jack. Combined with the Mo-Fi’s built-in amp, it could blow your head off. :eek:

The amp on the Mo-Fi's is designed for use with consumer stuff like iPhones and such with really low output drive strength. The headphone amp in the III is a pro-quality amp designed to drive low-impedance pro headphones. It's not designed for use with things like headphones with built-in amps and IEM amps.

The amp on the Mo-Fi's is designed for use with consumer stuff like iPhones and such with really low output drive strength. The headphone amp in the III is a pro-quality amp designed to drive low-impedance pro headphones. It's not designed for use with things like headphones with built-in amps and IEM amps.

Thank the gods I can simply turn it off on the mo-fis. 'Cause I really love those cans.

I'm researching for a first pair of cans.
I am just starting to vaguely understand it. when I look at a pair.. and see the price... I still need a individual amp to power that. Unless they have a built in amp.
But the Axe 3 has a built in headphone amp...or output circuit that powers it... I'm not worried about which one I just wonder I don't need to buy headphone amp if I pick up a set of cans that don't have a built in amp?
Can it handle 600 ohm? If not, what can it handle?

I'm researching for a first pair of cans.
I am just starting to vaguely understand it. when I look at a pair.. and see the price... I still need a individual amp to power that. Unless they have a built in amp.
But the Axe 3 has a built in headphone amp...or output circuit that powers it... I'm not worried about which one I just wonder I don't need to buy headphone amp if I pick up a set of cans that don't have a built in amp?
Can it handle 600 ohm? If not, what can it handle?

You'll want cans with lower impedance. 600 ohm is very high. For example, my backup headphones are AKG k271s, 55 ohm.

You'll want cans with lower impedance. 600 ohm is very high. For example, my backup headphones are AKG k271s, 55 ohm.
First impression is bigger is better.. and 600 ohm seemed like a nice one time lifetime kind of purchase. Decided that I didn't need to take it that far, an unusual move. Seen in a forum comment 250 ohm works on the 3 , and went with forum opion with a reasonable price range.

Back
Top Bottom