Connection issues from PC to Axe Fx 3

I have been fighting an issue for a while now even after going from win 10 to 11 pro. Fractal bot was unable to update firmware on my axe. I Tried updating usb firmware, changing cables, changing ports with no luck, but it always worked on my laptop running windows 8.1, so when updates would come, I would just hook the axe up to the laptop and the update would get done. The other day I read a thread on here that helped big time with my issue. The cable I was using from my pc to axe was a 3.0 cable hooked up to the 3.0 usb on my pc. To act on what the thread said I ordered a $10 2.0 25ft cable from amazon and just installed it, I hooked up the 2.0 cable to the usb 2.0 on my pc to the axe fx 3 and everything works fine, guess the axe fx 3 doesn't like 3.0 cable or 3.0 usb ports (I did try the 3.0 cable on the 2.0 port, and it didn't work, only the 2.0 cable worked). I know this has been an issue for some and I just wanted to post this incase it could just help someone else.

Was the cable that didn't work also 25 ft ? Maybe that was the problem...who knows.....I think the longest supported is 15', so
I guess if your new one is working, then I guess you got lucky....you know what they say....don't look a gift horse in the mouth! laugh.gif

I was having issues with USB 3 ports and an FM3. Had not had issues with the Axe FX 3 but who knows. There is something going on there for sure.

Edit: Also agree with above poster that the USB protocol has length issues.

Since running the AxeIII here in the studio (several years now) there has never been any issue with the usb connection. All ins and outs of the Axe are in use, the Axe is serving as an audio interface. Excellent sound, excellent performance, perfect collaboration with Axe-Edit - no wishes left here.

We use an “active” usb cable (https://tripplite.eaton.com/usb-2-0-high-speed-a-b-active-repeater-cable-male-25-ft~U042025) which overcomes the 15’ USB length limitation with not only my Axe-Fx III Mk II Turbo, but a number of other USB equipment (Eleven Rack, Focusrite audio interface, a MIDI adapter, etc,) that are located more that 15’ from the iMac in one of our studios. We have never experienced any issues using this cable. I can’t guarantee that this solution will work for you, but, if you must run your USB cable more than 15’ but it might be worth trying.

Last edited:
I have an M1 Macbook with Thunderbolt 4 ports. If I use a USB C to USB A cable it won’t connect. I tried two cables. But! Using a USB A to USB A cable with an A to C adapter works fine.
Also no issues going from my docks USB A port.

I'm not... But most people don't have active cables.

All I know is the USB 2.0 spec is 3m max for standard cables.
In one of our studios the layout requires longer runs of cables, both audio and digital, due to it’s physical layout. We’ve never had a problem with any piece of USB equipped gear when active cables up to 30 feet in length were used. In addition, we have used these active cables to connect USB gear from on-stage Mac laptops to rack gear located off-stage n the wings over 15 feet away during live gigs. So, we find the active cables quite useful.

Was the cable that didn't work also 25 ft ? Maybe that was the problem...who knows.....I think the longest supported is 15', so
I guess if your new one is working, then I guess you got lucky....you know what they say....don't look a gift horse in the mouth! View attachment 120721
Yes it was 25ft , but it was a 3.0 cable , need to use a 2.0 cable, my last 2.0 cable i used was 2 20ft 2.0 cables jumped together

Back
Top Bottom