Connecting Iphone and guitar at the same time

Tested this some more. Set everything to 0db in output mixer and fx loop. And than unplugged the Iphone and put it on an external mixer without changing the levels of the Axe and Iphone to see if it was the same or not. With the the Axe fx the Iphone was slightly softer compared the external mixer but not much. So indeed the Iphone has a low output.
My question on this: In my case is it better to boost the level 'knob' (by 20db) in the Fx loop block or the level 3 (in my case row 3 is the Iphone) of the the output mixer? I am confused by this and not sure what the difference is.

Does an Ipad have so much higher output volume than and Iphone? since you have to reduce by 10db for the Ipad and I have to boost by 20db. Thought the output levels of these would be somewhat the same, not a 30db difference....don't own an Ipad to test this.

Row 3 level control turns up all of row 3. Fx Loop level turns up only the Fx Loop input. I'd go with the Fx Loop level, in case you out anything else in row 3.

He was saying he turns his GUITAR down 10 dB to mix with the iPad signal. I believe you think he said he turns down the iPad, which isn't right. Turning up the iPad/iPhone is the better way to go.

He was saying he turns his GUITAR down 10 dB to mix with the iPad signal. I believe you think he said he turns down the iPad, which isn't right. Turning up the iPad/iPhone is the better way to go.

ok, sorry you are correct I didn't read that right...So I guess the headphone output volume of an Ipad is about the same as an Iphone then?

Is there a video on the Axe Fx fx loop block and how to connect everything and what all the 'buttons' do? (also how to connect the pedals and 4 cable method). It would be really helpful to some I think because it can be very confusing. There are a lot of levels to consider and sometimes it is confusing me what the exact difference is in all the level controls of the Fx loop block. Same goes for the Send and Return blocks.

I'm trying to get Pro Metronome to run through the Mk1 FX Loop and I'm having the same volume issue with both my Iphone 4s and my Ipad mini retina. I'm finding if I crank the row, the main, the level and the output levels all up to 20 db I can hear the click barely (both devices on full), but with a ton of noise. I'm wondering if the signal loss is because I'm using a TRS stereo 1/8"->1/4". Maybe we should be using mono cables?

Love to get this sorted, would be great for practice.

Edit:

CONFIRMED!

I found my 1/4"->1/8th" converter, plugged that into the ipad and went mono guitar cable out into the effects loop and the volume problem is greatly reduced. I'm sure it would be non existent if the 1/8" side were mono too.

Last edited:
I found my 1/4"->1/8th" converter, plugged that into the ipad and went mono guitar cable out into the effects loop and the volume problem is greatly reduced. I'm sure it would be non existent if the 1/8" side were mono too.

Do you have a picture or link of that cable or converter? These numbers don't say anything to me.

I use a normal headphone jack going to two tulips. Like this one but with two jack attachments on the tulips to be able to plug in input 2:
http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-Audio-Cable-Splitter-1-Mini/dp/B00004Z5CP

They also have these but I don't know if that is better or if that works?:
http://www.shopclues.com/brand-new-...e-adapter-for-all-apple-ipod-iphone-ipad.html

Last edited:
So I am working with the Iphone in the Fx loop (Input 2) and it's working fine (besides the low level for which I haven't find a solution yet)...

Now I want to use my Eventide H9 in the Fx loop as well. Is it possible to use both the H9 and the Iphone in the Fx loop at the same time? I was thinking to run both mono: H9 in input and 2 output 2 (L) of the Axe and the Iphone directly in input 2 (R).
Another option would be H9 in input 2/ouput 2 L of the Axe and the Iphone directly in the right input of the H9.

Is either of these options possible? I want to make absolutely sure it can't harm anything before I am going to connect anything. Or is there a better way so I can have both stereo? or only the H9 stereo and Iphone mono?

You won't harm anything with just headphone and line level signals. You will harm things if you start plugging amplifier outputs into your axe or h9, but not audio devices like an iPod.

You say you didnt find a solution for the low level. Did you turn the FX loop block Level up, even to +10 or 15 dB, even more?

You won't harm anything with just headphone and line level signals. You will harm things if you start plugging amplifier outputs into your axe or h9, but not audio devices like an iPod.

You say you didnt find a solution for the low level. Did you turn the FX loop block Level up, even to +10 or 15 dB, even more?

Yes I turn it up all the way (+20db) to get to a normal level. Was hoping for another solution so that I don't have to turn it up that high. Someone here mentioned another cable (see the discussion some posts above) but I am not sure if that is the problem. Haven't had the change to buy another cable and try that out.

What's wrong with turning it up that high?

Not much. Only thing is that you can't turn it up higher if you want (when using synths that have different levels for example). And maybe it also enhances the noise floor?
If I want to connect the H9 and the Iphone at the same time in the Fx loop it might become a problem with the level differences (not sure though)...

Any idea what might be the best option for me to connect the Iphone and the H9 in the fx loop at the same time?

Now I want to use my Eventide H9 in the Fx loop as well. Is it possible to use both the H9 and the Iphone in the Fx loop at the same time? I was thinking to run both mono: H9 in input and 2 output 2 (L) of the Axe and the Iphone directly in input 2 (R).
Another option would be H9 in input 2/ouput 2 L of the Axe and the Iphone directly in the right input of the H9.

Tried both options today. Option 1 (H9 input2 L on the Axe, Iphone input2 R on the Axe) doesn't work. No sound at all from the Iphone. Any idea why?
Option 2 (H9 on input 2L on the Axe, Iphone on input 2 of the H9) works. I guess option 2 is better anyway since I can use the H9 in stereo out and the Iphone in mono at the same time? Not sure about this...

Just to clarify - yes, I have to turn down the guitar (or up the ipad) in the Output mixer to get a decent mix. Generally, I'm cutting the guitar by 10 to 12 dB in the Output block. I posted about this a few months ago, and Cliff's response that this level difference is normal with consumer devices can be found here.

the level differences are simply down to the iphone headphone out going into inputs that expect to see line level. if you want to use the H9 and the iphone in stereo at the same time, then get a small mixer, plug both into that and then plug the mixer outs into input 2.

if you want to use the H9 and the iphone in stereo at the same time, then get a small mixer, plug both into that and then plug the mixer outs into input 2.

Good idea! Never thought of using my mixer in the Fx loop of the Axe. Not sure how you connect the H9 to the mixer without guitar plugged in the H9 and still have sound though. How would you connect it in this setting? (guitar in front input Axe, H9 and Iphone on separate stereo channels of the mixer and than the mixer to the Fx loop of the Axe)

just run out 2 of the axe into the H9 and then the H9 into the mixer. put the iphone into two more inputs in the mixer and then the outs of the mixer to input 2 on the axe

ok, thanks. Never was good in connecting things and the Fx loop always confuses me. Feel like a dummy with these things... :)

Back
Top Bottom