Connecting a subwoofer ?

DLW

Inspired
Please move this if its in the wrong section.

I picked up a low cost subwoofer on local Craisglist that was designed as a match for my monitors and wanted to know the correct way to hook it up to the AXE III. I got it for $75 and just wanted to mess around with adding it. I just picked up a bass guitar and will mess with that when not playing regular guitar. I thought maybe adding the subwoofer that it would handle and do bass better. Maybe?

I will already have a pair of monitors hooked up to output 1 L and R.

For the subwoofer is it best to use two cables to the subwoofer and go into output 2 L and R? Or is two unnecessary and all you need to use is only one output from AXE III to the subwoofer?

Thank you!

Usually a good subwoofer that is designed to go with a certain set of speakers has the ability to take the stereo in signal from any interface and has a stereo pair of line level outs to connect your monitors to.

The sub itself won't be stereo but will sum the signal, then apply a crossover to the signal for it and your monitors.

Here is a picture of the Kali sub. You will see that it has stereo ins and outs on it.

James

Attachments

• WS12-Kali-Audio-Subwoofer-Features-Hero-720px.jpg
    WS12-Kali-Audio-Subwoofer-Features-Hero-720px.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 13
The sub has four inputs…left right center and sub.

It has three outputs….left right and center.

So is it best then if possible to to go AXE III left and right output 1 into sub left and right input then from sub left and right out put into the input of my left and right monitor thus having the sub crossover optimized like it was designed(copied lol) etc(I know very little about crossover just real basic concept)? Or would it work the same just AXE L and R output 1 to monitors and AXE L and R output 2 to sub?

The monitors are Behringer Truth 2031A’s and the sub is the Behringer 2092A. This was the matching sub for the monitors. I just happened to find one on local CL for $75. I am well aware that there may not be a lot of love for Behringer gear and that there may be something lacking compared to Adam, Genelec and other high quality monitors. At the time I opted to also buy my son an AXE III also vs getting high end monitors. I will upgrade in time as needed if needed. There are a lot of reviews that say good things about the monitors but that may be for general mixes and not for use with a guitar modeler/processor. We shall see.

I also picked up a used Friedman ASM-12 with Tuki padded cover off CL for $400. So I was wondering about going AXE output 1 L and R to monitors and Output 2 L to sub and R to the Friedman and just use the Friedman by itself when wanting that sound and feel and volume. Maybe even try the Friedman and the sub to see how it sounds for guitar or if I am playing a bass guitar. Just sort of in the what options do I have, how do I hook it all up correctly and what cables do I need to buy point.

This is going to be at my work desk at home with the monitors facing a smaller nook off the larger family room and facing my chair and the sub in front of the desk facing sideways and the Friedman facing the opposite way of the monitors out into the bigger room in theory for like having a regular amp/cab feel etc. so I can sit on the couch and jam for long periods with the FC-12 with a long cable to place on the coffee table for options of preset tones to use without getting up and messing with the actual AXE unit or a laptop. Basically so I can sit on my ass for hours on a comfy couch and get lost in playing guitar for hours for when I do not want to it at my work desk.

The Friedman and maybe the sub might end up at my brother-in-law’s house who plays drums if I decided to dump my tube amps. But I want to mess with it at home and make sure its the right choice before dumping the amps and leaving the Friedman and maybe sub over there for good.

Any input on any of this appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited:
You have 2 options.

1 is to find a monitor controller that takes a stereo output and sends a mono sub output to the behringer sub input.

2 is to take the stereo out from the AX3 to the stereo in on the sub, then take the stereo out to your monitors.

There is nothing wrong with Behringer gear if it works for you. I for years, used a pair of nearfield monitors no one heard of, but they worked for me. I used the Audix Studio 1As since they came out in the early 90s when I built my studio. I retired them last year when the 10th amp in one year died, powering them. I moved to the Kali IN8 monitors last year.

If the Behringers do what you need then don't worry about it.

James

Reactions: DLW
I wouldn’t overthink it, just run a stereo signal from the AX3 into the sub and then connect the monitors to the left and right outputs on the sub.

Reactions: DLW
Back
Top Bottom