Confused on the Marketing direction of Atomic Amps???

Tremonti

Fractal Fanatic
Just wondered why Atomic amps puts a tube 50 watt in there active wedges and cabinets but uses solid state for the mono block?

Also...why is the mono block not a rack-able?

Not saying anything...just very curious as this just seems off and very strange????

If he made a rack able stereo poweramp I know he would have a ton of buyers.....

From the Atomic site:
The Reactor FR Mono Block 50W Power Amp is... Driven by one 12AX7 and two EL-6L6GC vacuum tubes.

I looked at all of the specs and they are the same for both the active cabs and the MB, so just wondering why you think the MB isn't using tubes?

My bad...I thought it was solid state.....ok.....guess just wonder now why this wasn't made to fit a rack? Seems like he is missing a big audience of buyers. Again...nothing against Tom or Atomic....just curious as to why something so obvious was decided against?

If they wanted to go the rack mounted route it would have meant a lot more design work. The monoblock is very similar to the amp module from an active FR wedge. That means to bring it to market they only had to come up with the cabinet design and change the rear panel controls slightly. I think that let them hit a good price point.

Agreed on the price point note above!

However...

An Atomic rack mounted 50watt stereo power amp that is bridgeable for 100watts, interesting!!
A nice aesthetically designed 2U rack mount unit that would go nicely with the Axe-Fx.
Hmmm, maybe that's something Cliff can work on after the foot controller is done?

Tom is a smart man and I would be willing to bet good money that he has a host things that he is developing for the Atomic line including a rack mount power amp.

Spoons said:
An Atomic rack mounted 50watt stereo power amp that is bridgeable for 100watts, interesting!!
A nice aesthetically designed 2U rack mount unit that would go nicely with the Axe-Fx.
I believe it would be a big seller. The only competition in that segment and at that price point is currently the Carvin TS100 - which, by multiple sources, has some QC issues.

i'd love to see it rackable, but i'm not crazy about returning to the frustration of the tube world. If it was a rackable solidstate that could push some serious watts I think the millions of "what power amp do i need" threads would disappear lol.

It's such an uneasy feeling when researching solid state devices that cater to PA systems it's like they are speaking another language sometimes. There's never any confirmation from other guitar players on quality, maybe sometimes you hear some bass players give their 2 cents, but it seems like we are in a weird niche that nobody is really tending to in the market other then the Atomic mono block. I hope at some point in the future Fractal release a few variations on their poweramp. One like they currently have to drive monitor volumes and one with a ton of power to drive some 4x12s to carry a room if needed.

Ventanaman said:
...the Carvin TS100 - which, by multiple sources, has some QC issues.
Not exactly sure where you have heard that from, some don't like it because it is transparent and doesn't color the tone like their Mesa power amps do. I have a LOT of Carvin gear, including a TS100, and never had any problems with any of it. Absolutely all the Carvin gear I have is solidly built right here in the USA and sold at very reasonable prices.

I will say that Carvin is not for everyone, just like the Axe-Fx, Line 6 and Rocktron is not for everyone.

rsf1977 said:
i'd love to see it rackable, but i'm not crazy about returning to the frustration of the tube world. If it was a rackable solidstate that could push some serious watts ...
I agree with this statement. I'll probably end up using a Carvin DCM2000L and a good set of FRFR speakers if the need comes up that I gotta have stage volume blowing my hair around, LOL! Right now I go direct almost all the time.

rsf1977 said:
i'd love to see it rackable, but i'm not crazy about returning to the frustration of the tube world. If it was a rackable solidstate that could push some serious watts I think the millions of "what power amp do i need" threads would disappear lol.

It's such an uneasy feeling when researching solid state devices that cater to PA systems it's like they are speaking another language sometimes. There's never any confirmation from other guitar players on quality, maybe sometimes you hear some bass players give their 2 cents, but it seems like we are in a weird niche that nobody is really tending to in the market other then the Atomic mono block. I hope at some point in the future Fractal release a few variations on their poweramp. One like they currently have to drive monitor volumes and one with a ton of power to drive some 4x12s to carry a room if needed.

I agree with you - I have no desire to go back to tube power, and it seems contradictory to me that the Reactors are tube powered, but Harry Kolbe is a tube guy, and the company existed before they joined forces with Fractal. It is what it is, but IMO a USA built SS reactor would be a better compliment to Axe-FX.

Don't be intimitaed by using PA amps - you get a lot of cost and performance benefit from going this route - just go with a good name like QSC, Crest, Crown, or Stewart.

JR

Back
Top Bottom