Conceptual rig build - how do you approach….

sick pickle

Inspired
Hey everyone!

I am currently playing in a Rush tribute band for fun. Using the FM9 gives me all possibilities. However I am running into option paralysis on how to approach rig building.

My current approach was to build a kitchen sink preset that covered all eras and tones using amp channels and drive block channels. I wound then copy the preset for specific songs and make specific modifications. However this brings complications as you program for 40 years of tones and lots of configuration possibilities.

Another approach I thought was to build 3 main tone presets - to represent the three main eras of the band. Same thing would apply here - I could copy one of them and dial in specific things like delay times or whatever.

Maybe I am overthinking it - but how would you approach this? I thought the three separate presets would be easier to conceptualize as you just think “what were the main few pieces Alex used during this time”.

Looking for some insights on passionate “rig builders”.

I'd recommend building one tone/preset first. Get the sounds you want far a particular era/song/album. When you've hit the end of the road with that one, build a different preset for another era. You can combine them later if that's a possibility, but you may find them too disparate. Divide and conquer.

I agree... start one tone/album/era at a time. Cross-check to see what Lifeson's actual rig was for said era/recording, and start with the amp/cab alone and see how close you can get to the main timbre. Then once you're in range, start to dissect whatever songs you plan on covering within that time framework, and start to add the various flavors. Rinse, repeat.

Try categorizing the Rush tones into a small number of groups that focus on the key differences in the tones, and create presets for each one. Then subdivide each preset into a set of scenes that cover typical uses of that preset. Finally create songs and song sections that reuse these presets and scenes. Different sections in the same song can reuse different presets and scenes. Then when you update a scene or preset, all the songs that use it will inherit the changes, significantly reducing your patch management challenges.

Back
Top Bottom