Complete nuke and fresh restart

Guitarzan69

Inspired
I have seen many different options for a factory reset, and would love some advise as to how to proceed.

I have changed settings since purchasing new, 3 years ago. Then I was away from it within the last two years off and on. Back at it from 19 on. I made different pedal settings, global settings, amp and cab settings etc.

What I’d like to do is nuke the system and start fresh, 21. This will help me feel like all the deep settings I futzed with will be back to factory, not to mention getting the right sounds from the recent firmware.

Thanks in advance.

I have seen many different options for a factory reset, and would love some advise as to how to proceed.

I have changed settings since purchasing new, 3 years ago. Then I was away from it within the last two years off and on. Back at it from 19 on. I made different pedal settings, global settings, amp and cab settings etc.

What I’d like to do is nuke the system and start fresh, 21. This will help me feel like all the deep settings I futzed with will be back to factory, not to mention getting the right sounds from the recent firmware.

Thanks in advance.
Not a bad idea. I've found that I have an easier time dialing-in tones with the latest firmware, whether based on factory presets or those purchased from AustinBuddy, Axe-Change downloads, or starting from scratch.

I think, if wanting to start over, you could download and install the latest factory presets. I'd do a full backup first, just in case there's something I wanted to retrieve later.

1. Power down the unit and wait five seconds.
  2. Power on holding Edit until the boot-up progress bar first appears.
  3. Enter SETUP, open the Utilities menu, and page to Reset.
  4. Select the option RESET SYSTEM PARAMETERS. Do NOT accidentally select CLEAR ALL PRESETS!
  5. Follow the on-screen instructions to execute.

https://support.fractalaudio.com/article/28-axe-fx-iii-recovery-steps
Excellent.

So this procedure resets all global, amp and parameter settings etc? No need to reset anything else to be all square with 21.

Sounds easier than a full nuke.

Thank you

What would be the purpose or benefit of resetting all system parameters.
In utilities there is the option to reset these system parameters.
So, would the unit return to its state when it left the factory? Banks A, B, C and firmware?
Thanks in advance.

So this procedure resets all global, amp and parameter settings etc? No need to reset anything else to be all square with 21.

Sounds easier than a full nuke.
In utilities there is the option to reset these system parameters.
So, would the unit return to its state when it left the factory?
Holding down Edit when restarting tells the unit to ignore the user’s adjusted global settings in memory and instead use the factory defaults, in case something managed to become corrupted in the settings that prevents the unit from starting correctly. If the system boots fine there’s no need to hold down Edit.

At that point it’s the same step using the utility option to reset the system settings back to the factory settings.

Wiping the presets and reloading the Factory presets will then return the unit to the same state it was in when received. Well, except it won’t be in a cool box that says “Fractal Audio Systems” on the outside and gets the UPS guy all excited for you.

No te estoy dando ningún consejo, sólo te estoy indicando dónde puedes encontrar información sobre esto...

https://wiki.fractalaudio.com/wiki/index.php?title=Restablecer
¡Esta es realmente buena información!
Holding down Edit when restarting tells the unit to ignore the user’s adjusted global settings in memory and instead use the factory defaults, in case something managed to become corrupted in the settings that prevents the unit from starting correctly. If the system boots fine there’s no need to hold down Edit.

At that point it’s the same step using the utility option to reset the system settings back to the factory settings.

Wiping the presets and reloading the Factory presets will then return the unit to the same state it was in when received. Well, except it won’t be in a cool box that says “Fractal Audio Systems” on the outside and gets the UPS guy all excited for you.
Would this be like a hard reset or something?
And not simply reset the system parameters, from the utility menu...
It's right?

I’m not giving you advice, just pointing out where you can find some info on this…

https://wiki.fractalaudio.com/wiki/index.php?title=Reset
this sounds good! 👇
"When things do not sound like they should or do not work as expected, and you can't find a cause, execute the Reset System Parameters menu command in the Utilities menu."
"Doing a system reset and having that "fix" things does not surprise me at all. There are a variety of parameters that affect the overall sound that could be set incorrectly either by accident or by a bug in previous firmware. A system reset gives you a clean slate and ensures that the unit sounds as intended. The only drawback is that any changes you've made to I/O and MIDI control assignments will be lost."

Those are good reasons to try. Maybe time passes and the ear gets used to it. I've been thinking for a long time "this used to sound much better to me". Well I do not know. You'll have to try it.
Thank you very much to all!

Would this be like a hard reset or something?
The system doesn't have a "hard reset". We can override certain actions that the firmware takes during startup. Holding down the Edit button does one such thing, but it's a temporary workaround until the unit starts. At that point resetting the system from the Utilities menu just restores the original settings.

time passes and the ear gets used to it
The brain can become accustomed to many things that are not normal, and, yes, over time we'll think that something should be that certain way.

Sometimes people get used to a particular sound and think that it is right, and they need to step away for a while and let the brain "normalize" again. Occasionally people need to do that with their FRFR/monitoring system if it wasn't set correctly initially.

Ok guys, I've done utility, reset, reset system parameter, and it's really been reborn. It worked for me. I have also reloaded the factory presets from bank A, where they are mostly amp-only presets. really excellent result.
Whoever wrote this on Wiki is absolutely right.
"Doing a system reset and 'fixing' things doesn't surprise me at all."
thank you very much to all! You are the best!

Note that resetting the system parameters does not clear all system data: global blocks data in the AxeFx won’t be erased. Only way to do that, AFAIK, is to restore a clean system data file, taken from a factory fresh unit.

Note that resetting the system parameters does not clear all system data: global blocks data in the AxeFx won’t be erased. Only way to do that, AFAIK, is to restore a clean system data file, taken from a factory fresh unit.

Is there any reason to think the parts not covered by resetting system parameters would impact sound?

Seems like resetting system parameters is the best way to test if the system would sound better without losing quite as much info.

Am I missing something here? I often am... very willing to be corrected!

Only way to do that, AFAIK, is to restore a clean system data file, taken from a factory fresh unit.
I suspect removing the backup battery for a day would accomplish it. It might also remove everything from FLASH forcing a complete reinstall.

I’ve never felt like wandering down that path, but reloading the current firmware then restoring everything except the system and globals from a full backup from that firmware would help. Exporting the All-layouts file prior too for later reimporting should result in the system being current, all layouts, presets and cabs in place, and the global settings back to the defaults.

Back
Top Bottom