Communication timeouts/lockups with Quantum 3.02

pir8matt

Hey there, ever since updating to 3.02 I've had issues with timeouts when trying to edit with Axe-Edit 3.7.2, and also the unit has been locking up, even when not connected to USB.

My unit is an Axe-FX II MK II.

I searched for posts with folks having similar issues but nothing turned up.

Anyone else having similar issues at all? This is a new experience for me. The unit locked up at a gig recently and required a reboot in the middle of a set. Hoping there's an update on the way that might address it.

can you describe what you were doing when it locked up? high CPU presets? editing in Axe-Edit? swapping presets? is it always on the same preset?

any details you can add will help, even if you don't think it may be important. i don't think we've heard of this happening to others.

Hi man the problem also happens to me after modifying parameters for several hours. fractal Seguramebte modify it in future updates. I hope that, I could not fix it otherwise .

Hi man the problem also happens to me after modifying parameters for several hours. fractal Seguramebte modify it in future updates. I hope that, I could not fix it otherwise .
how exactly are you modifying things? are you using Axe-Edit? are you saving shorty after modifying?

how exactly are you modifying things? are you using Axe-Edit? are you saving shorty after modifying?
If my friend ax edit latest version and use my unit also last version , and usually Apparate time out and I reset my ax to take CONECCION again , if anyone knows is subject please give some clue , thanks.

I get timeouts and connection failures all the time whenever I do a lot of preset moving around (move/swap/copy) with Axe-Manage. Given the warning that comes up every time you start Axe-Manage, I've always assumed it just wasn't stable. If I stay out of Axe-Manage, it's rock solid for me.

RR

I get timeouts and connection failures all the time whenever I do a lot of preset moving around (move/swap/copy) with Axe-Manage. Given the warning that comes up every time you start Axe-Manage, I've always assumed it just wasn't stable. If I stay out of Axe-Manage, it's rock solid for me.

RR
are you starting the move processes then waiting? or are you playing through the unit or adjusting front panel while you wait?

I have connection time-outs when click on amp block, and do editing on the amp block using latest Axe edit on Mac. It takes more time to respond, than before. I use a MK I with latest FW

Last edited:
I have connection time-outs when click on amp block, and do editing on the amp block using latest Axe edit on Mac. It takes more time to respond, than before. I use a MKII with latest FW
when you say "connection time-outs" are you actually getting an error that says that? or is it JUST taking longer than before?

Note that I also have seen this behavior with Quantum and AE. I theorized it could be because of my USB cable but I am a bit worried it could be a more general issue. I posted a pic of the AFX locked up in the other similar thread. Screen goes blank a couple of lights are lit. The lights are not consistent but whatever is lit when it is locks stays lit.

Last edited:
Note that I also have seen this behavior with Quantum and AE. I theorized it could be because of my USB cable but I am a bit worried it could be a more general issue. I posted a pic of the AFX locked up in the other similar thread. Screen goes blank a couple of lights are lit. The lights are not consistent but whatever is lit when it is locks stays lit.
does the screen ALWAYS go blank?

there are several very different issues being discussed in this thread now. maybe they're related, maybe their not. any details that anyone can provide about what's happening to them will help figure this all out. something like:

Model: Axe-Fx II Mark II
Current Firmware: 3.02
Current Axe-Edit Version: 3.7.2
Other gear plugged in (MFC-101, MIDI controllers, etc):
Computer OS and version: Mac OS X 10.11.3, Windows 10
Issue with details:

honestly, if everyone did that with every "troubleshooting" post, things would move a lot faster around here :)

I'm thinking the OP's issue may be simultaneously moving or editing block, saving blocks while playing or adjusting the AXE. I've only had a dead lockup 2 times and it was always because I was doing multiple things and playing through the AXE.

+1.
But I remember only that connection timeouts were when I worked in Axe-Manage Presets. Last time it was not disconnect but continious squeak with clipping after swapping 3-4 presets. Sqeaky clippning didn't disappear until I reboot the unit. Axe Fx II Mark I.

And the logic of refreshing presets after swapping or moving seems some strange and not clean. (I'm programmer on C++, it's only my subjective feeling)

Last edited:
+1.
But I remember only that connection timeouts were when I worked in Axe-Manage Presets. Last time it was not disconnect but continious squeak with clipping after swapping 3-4 presets. Sqeaky clippning didn't disappear until I reboot the unit. Axe Fx II Mark I.
this can happen while communication is in progress and you adjust something on the front panel or try to add another command in edit. This specifically is not new, and not a bug, just to clarify.

The common thread in my case is that none of this ever happened to me until after this most recent firmware update. Its also happening to a friend of mine that recently updated who I sold a second MKII I had to.

The answer to most of Chris' questions is 'yes'. I typically only run one preset, and its a fairly high CPU one (above 80%), but its also the same basic patch I've been running for almost 2 years now. I'm having the issue when AE is connected via USB and I try to change presets, or move presets to a new position, but I also get lockups just selecting presets from the front selector with no USB connected whatsoever.

Example, yesterday at practice I had my singer select a patch one increment up from my standard use patch. It selected it fine, but when I tried to have him move it back to the original position, it was unresponsive (as in, it would not increment up or down), and then the front screen went solid green. I had to switch the power on/off and wait for it to reboot.

When using AE, it now takes several tries before it 'sees' the unit. I get 'connection timeout' error messages. Once it does connect, I'll sometimes get disconnected when trying to change presets using AE, which has also resulted in the front screen going solid green, and requiring a reset.

Again, its worth pointing out that this is all post-3.02 behavior. Prior to that update, my Axe II was rock solid and AE worked reliably as well. I considered it might be a bad USB cable and bought a new one just to eliminate the possibility of issue there. Said cable works fine with my AX8/AX8 edit so I don't think thats the culprit.

Do you have a link to the other thread? Maybe an admin could combine the threads. As I mentioned, I searched for similar issues but came up empty handed.

Back
Top Bottom