Cliff - help with Buttery, please dude

simeon

Axe-Master
since v8, i can't seem to get my buttery patches sounding like they used to. the amp seems to have lost some of it's top end smoothness and sparkle. it sounds a little harsh to my ears now...

anything i can do to regain some of that really nice smooth high end with my on the edge of breakup tones?

many thanks

Have you tried tone matching a V8 recording? Can you regain what you seek by setting the amp sim type to V8? I've never thought of Buttery as "smooth at the top end" myself. It's always been an amp that bites when I dial it up. Let me revisit my patch I used for this clip tonight and see how it sounds with 9.02 -- I'd rolled through it during testing and nothing stuck out as sounding particularly different to me. But, mind you, I'd consider the top end on that patch to have bite to it. I did roll the hi-cut up a bit on that patch.

I don't disagree about the bite, in fact I'd describe it more as a sizzle. Exactly the reason I've been using it, but the quality of that sizzle seems to have changed to my ears. Not quite as pleasant as it used to be. I don't have any old recordings to compare it to, unfortunately...

well increasing transformer match and raising the pres freq seemed to help. i'd be interested to try some other stuff too, if anyone has any suggestions...

Try decreasing Transformer Drive, I'm not sure if Transformer Drive has changed but in v9 the default levels are too high for me (maybe something else has changed and this smoothes that out). Definition, on the last page, might help too.

i've never really messed with transformer drive, so i'll give that a go as well

v9 definitely seems gainer to me...even than v9 beta...

I'm actually really liking the buttery and other low-mid gain amps with 9.x. My main patches are usually built around the buttery, boutique, ac30tb, or wrecker models.

My Buttery preset is very simple. Drive 3.50, Bass 4, Treble 8, Master 9. Haven't noticed much of a difference between firmware versions.

Back
Top Bottom