Clean tone like Ozzy Osbourne

Zakk Wylde played on that album.
So i‘d say, go with british amps. The tone on the song has a little bit of breakup, so don‘t clean it up too much.
As for cabs..try aiming for what Zakk played or use your ears.

Maybe you wanna also try a bit of chorus.

Have fun, trust your ears.

I don't want to doubt Matt's excellent ears, but Zakk is well known as a Rotovibe junky and in the solo and the end section of the song it seems pretty obvious to be that effect, fairly fast (although a couple spots it slows).

Doesn't mean it couldn't be both in different sections but that's where I'm leaning...

I don't want to doubt Matt's excellent ears, but Zakk is well known as a Rotovibe junky and in the solo and the end section of the song it seems pretty obvious to be that effect, fairly fast (although a couple spots it slows).
Yes, but a Rotary (Leslie) and a Rotovibe pedal are two very different things. A Rotovibe is kinda like a UniVibe with a treadle for speed (sort of). It has its own cool sound that I really with we had a model of. There have been work arounds posted, but they always seem to be missing a little something. Close enough for gigs, but not as lush and 3D as the real thing.

The clean tone sounds more like fast chorus or detune. Rotovibe alone is more phasey sounding. Could be a combination of the two. Some of Zakk's clean tones like on "See you on the other side" are definitely layered effects.

He uses a stereo chorus pedal along with the rotovibe. In fact, he usually runs a stereo live rig, and leaves the chorus on all the time, or if needed has his tech bring it in & out from behind stage. I'm saying a JCM800 2203 base tone, roll the volume back for cleanish, and have a stereo chorus on , then hit it with a rotovibe and you're there. Also, the Rotovibe has a chorus and vibrato mode. That song sound like he might be using the vibrato mode - it has a nice warble to it.

3:13 or so , he's talking fx

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom