Classic input gate weirdness

Guitarjon

Fractal Fanatic
This could be user error but I've been getting some weird "artifacts" while using the input gate on the classic mode. I was reamping some DI tracks from the USB (digital) source through a tube amp/load-box setup in one of the loops. The DI signal was going into input one with the classic gate. Ratio set to noon, attack and release to the fastest settings and threshold up pretty high, around -40db's ish although I was also getting artifacts with less extreme settings.

I basically noticed some weird top-end fizz and "smearing" of the notes, especially with palm muted chugs. I though it was the amp at first so I started trouble shooting. When I turned off the gate the sound immediately was better again and more dynamic. Could this be a bug or am I just dialing it in wrong? For some of my DI's I just want a tight sound with some of the hand/string noises gated out, that's why I had the threshold set to -40 or so. I never noticed anything strange before.

This was on the Axe Fx III MKI btw.

Without hearing an example, my first thought is it's set too fast. Try bringing release up to 20ms or so. Idk what "noon" is for ratio offhand but I rarely go above 3 myself; I'm usually happy when gain reduction hits about -30 to -40.

Dialing it in wrong.

It's is not recommended to set both attack and release to fastest values. For "metal" start with attack around 2ms and release around 100ms. Try a ratio of 3-4. Adjust threshold to taste.

If you turn attack and release all the way down the detector will "chatter" and modulate the input. If attack is set short, then release should be long and vice-versa.

Most dedicated noise gates have quite long release times. I.e., a Decimator has a nominal release time of around 330ms.

Back
Top Bottom