Chase Bliss Automatone vs Axe Fx

Tiger1016

Inspired
I was curious if anyone has had deep experience with the Chase Bliss Automatone and the Axe Fx. Where there things with that you love about the Auto that you were not able to sufficiently or easily enough recreate to your satisfaction within the Axe? Were you able to dial in a very similar feel and character that the Auto has within your Axe?

I am not one to chase a faithful recreation of any particular piece of gear, aside from my obsession with Wizard amps, which is why I own 4 of those, but the unnecessary quantity of these amps is also a kind of collector fanboy kind of thing. Anyway, when I dig in deep to the comparison videos with the Auto and how it is dialed in to sound like the most known and tried and true fuzz and drive pedals, I tended to like the Auto more. It seems to have its own character that was consistently present even as the faders were drastically moved around. There seemed to be relatively more dynamics, depth, clarity, and headroom in the Auto than the baseline reference pedals to my ears and it had its own thing going on in the midrange that really spoke to me. This tonal characteristics of the Auto would be enough of a selling point for me, but then the (almost) unparalleled tone shaping abilities of the Auto add an (almost) untouchable next level of flexibility and creativity for the obsessed tweaker types.

With all of the above said, the Axe III, which I already own, is obviously unbelievably capable, so I was wondering if the particular character and feel be coaxed out of our beloved Fractal units as well. The Axe can get close to pretty much anything, but I have failed to get it to make me happy enough when I tried to get it to recreate my Wizard amps, because there is a unique things going on with their dynamics, depth, punch, lack of compression, and midrange grind while still having a pleasant and approachable vintage tone kind of vibe, and this is the experience that has lead me to this point with this question. I am 6 year Fractal user so I am reasonably adept at deep dive editing and tweaking in the Axe, but I have not really gotten deep into the weeds of advanced parameter editing with the Fractal Drive blocks yet nor any hands on experience with the Automatone yet.

So my general question is if Auto users were able to dial in a very very similar feel and character as the Auto in their Axe or if you found that the Auto just had its own unique thing about it that was just too difficult to dial in the right way or easily enough within the Axe. Also, if you figured out any tips or tricks on the advanced editing to pull this off, that would be incredibly helpful as well! Finally, FWIW, I am interested in fuzz tones first and drive pedal tones second.

Never heard of it, so I can't help answer your questions, but it definitely looks cool.
I'm also among the folks who'd love to see some Benson amps in the Axe, so there's that too.

I have a Chase Bliss Automatone and I love it -though it's definitely overkill and someone more skilled than I am could probably reproduce those sounds on the Axe Fx III. That said I think that the Chase Bliss preamp is so easy to dial in AND to adapt to playing situations that I wouldn't want to miss it. In front of the Axe it sounds great and I find it much easier to dial in tones.
Hope that helps a little

I had an Automatone for a while. Great pedal, very cool, and if I were using a traditional board, it'd 100% be on there. What I found to be most useful on it was the mid controls- being able to dial in the mid center, and then eq that up or down was the key to being able to get so many different sounds out of it. It had a lot of headroom and clarity to it, which is probably what I liked best about it. The thing is, the Axe Fx has exactly those same mid controls- you can set the mid frequency in the expert page of the drive block, and then just set the mid level, and it does exactly the same thing. The Automatone's mid circuit was pretty noisy- the moment you hit that button that engaged the mid controls, there's this background hiss, and the Axe has none of that. The Axe also have the graphic eq, if you want to get even more granular. I eventually moved the Automatone on, because I was getting what I wanted out of the Axe drive block, with less noise. YMMV, of course, but for me, it turned out to be an unnecessary thing.

Back
Top Bottom