Change effects order for foot switches

Intheband

Inspired
I would have thought that the effects in the foot switch would line up to the ones in each preset, but apparently not. I looked in the manual but could not find anything about assigning effects to specific foot switches. Any help? I want to press effects, then have the ones I use most from left to right. Thanks.

Look for per-preset switches. You can have a different order/arrangement of switches for every preset. I believe the default layouts for FM9 include a per-preset layout.

Note that while the default is to have different layouts for Scenes and Effects you can mix any switch functions in any single layout if you wish.

I would have thought that the effects in the foot switch would line up to the ones in each preset, but apparently not. I looked in the manual but could not find anything about assigning effects to specific foot switches. Any help? I want to press effects, then have the ones I use most from left to right. Thanks.
What manual did you look at?

The Footswitch Functions Guide should cover all of it.

Switches are switches, and you can define what each switch on each part does.

Effects control switches know nothing about the presets unless you've assigned per-preset switches.

If you assign a switch to control an effect and the effect is in the preset, it's controllable... If not, the switch will still be there but does nothing.

What manual did you look at?

The Footswitch Functions Guide should cover all of it.

Switches are switches, and you can define what each switch on each part does.

Effects control switches know nothing about the presets unless you've assigned per-preset switches.

If you assign a switch to control an effect and the effect is in the preset, it's controllable... If not, the switch will still be there but does nothing.
To expand on this a little, switches configured to control something that doesn't exist on this preset won't do anything, like @unix-guy said, but they'll also be completely dark. It's like the space is still there, but there's nothing in it, which is functionally true.

Make sense?

The Effects layouts are great if you always use the same effects in your presets. I don’t do that so I quickly switched to defining FC per-preset assignments, which then are displayed by the Per-Preset layout. The advantage is that the order we define them is the order they display in the Per-Preset layout, and if you don’t want a particular effect to have a footswitch then don’t define it.

And, we can still define control-switches, or anything else we normally do, and they still appear in the correct order in that particular layout. And you can use them as overrides on any other layout if you want. For instance, you could define a control-switch to toggle the “Fat” setting on the preamp in the Amp block, and have it appear in the Scenes layout by overriding a switch definition, and also in the Per-Preset layout which effectively would replace the factory “Effects” layout.

Using the Per-Preset layout required rewiring how the stock layouts work, to switch to the Per-Preset layout instead of Effects.

It’s really powerful, but might take some experimenting to wrap your head around it. It took me a bit of experimenting but now I love the flexibility and power available to us. We’re here to help if you decide to go down that path.

Last edited:
It’s really powerful, but might take some experimenting to wrap your head around it. It took me a bit of experimenting but now I love the flexibility and power available to us. We’re here to help if you decide to go down that path.
This.

Per-Preset footswitches give you glorious control and flexibility. I use them differently form @Greg Ferguson. I spend most of my time on the Scenes layout. When I need a switch to do something besides change scenes, I use a Per-Preset Override to redefine a footswitch that would otherwise call up an unused scene.

This.

Per-Preset footswitches give you glorious control and flexibility. I use them differently form @Greg Ferguson. I spend most of my time on the Scenes layout. When I need a switch to do something besides change scenes, I use a Per-Preset Override to redefine a footswitch that would otherwise call up an unused scene.
I’m on the scenes layout usually because I have layout links to it from the Presets layout’s switches, but rewired my “Effects” switch to go to the Per-Preset layout and used a custom label so it still said “Effects” to help my friends understand what it’s doing.

That’s what impresses me about this system. It’s extremely well thought out and flexible.

Back
Top Bottom