Celestion F12-X200 speaker

That's ridiculous.
I basically used a sheet and a half of birch plywood to build two cabs. They were $60 a sheet back in March. That same sheet is $100 now. These lumber prices are just absurd. I honestly don't see how contractors or cabinet makers are even staying afloat now. It's crazy.

Reactions: JTI
I basically used a sheet and a half of birch plywood to build two cabs. They were $60 a sheet back in March. That same sheet is $100 now. These lumber prices are just absurd. I honestly don't see how contractors or cabinet makers are even staying afloat now. It's crazy.
So two cabs is ~$300 with of wood. Factoring in $100 max for hardware, connectors, paint or other covering, that's ~$400 in materials.

Paying someone $450 for construction is more than I wish, but given the time it'd take me to do less of a quality job given my lack of experience (not zero but still), their price isn't clearly way wrong IMO.

How much were the loaded cabs someone posted about again?

So two cabs is ~$300 with of wood. Factoring in $100 max for hardware, connectors, paint or other covering, that's ~$400 in materials.

Paying someone $450 for construction is more than I wish, but given the time it'd take me to do less of a quality job given my lack of experience (not zero but still), their price isn't clearly way wrong IMO.

How much were the loaded cabs someone posted about again?
1.5 sheets did two cabs so that's still only $150. It may very well take two full sheets tho cuz I bought two but also cut up an old poker table made out of the same stuff to make a couple panels. I had half a sheet left over.

Hardware (2 cabinets)
(parts express.com):
Grill hardware $7
Grills $20
Handles $13
Rubber feet $12
1/4" barrel jack $5
Speaker mounting hardware $9
Exohyde $35
Exohyde rollers $15
Total $116

That's not including a couple short pieces of 4" green pvc, small can of bondo, nails, sandpaper, epoxy and glue...all of that stuff I had already. I also used screws I had lying around to mount the speakers and saved there too.
So yeah...$350-$400 is a good DIY ball park figure at today's lumber prices. A little less if you are resourceful.
Loaded cabs $600 each.
https://reverb.com/item/37276866-vboutique-usa-frlr-1-x-12-w-celestion-f12-x200

Last edited:
1.5 sheets did two cabs so that's still only $150. It may very well take two full sheets tho cuz I bought two but also cut up an old poker table made out of the same stuff to make a couple panels. I had half a sheet left over.

Hardware (2 cabinets)
(parts express.com):
Grill hardware $7
Grills $20
Handles $13
Rubber feet $12
1/4" barrel jack $5
Exohyde $35
Exohyde rollers $15
Total $116

That's not including a couple short pieces of 4" green pvc, small can of bondo, nails, sandpaper, epoxy and glue...all of that stuff I had already. I also used screws I had lying around to mount the speakers and saved there too.
So yeah...$350-$400 is a good DIY ball park figure at today's lumber prices. A little less if you are resourceful.
Loaded cabs $600 each.
DIY is clearly a lot cheaper. I may just do it if I dont like the speakers with the Boogie Thieles.

Hardware (2 cabinets)
(parts express.com):
Grill hardware $7
Grills $20
Handles $13
Rubber feet $12
1/4" barrel jack $5
Exohyde $35
Exohyde rollers $15
Total $116

Loaded cabs $600 each.
https://reverb.com/item/37276866-vboutique-usa-frlr-1-x-12-w-celestion-f12-x200
Oh that was for two cabs, my bad.

The actual speakers are what, $175 each, so $350 for two, plus $400 for materials for two cabs, total $750 DYI, vs $1200 done.

Would you pay someone $450 to source that stuff and put it together? Would I?

Oh that was for two cabs, my bad.

The actual speakers are what, $175 each, so $350 for two, plus $400 for materials for two cabs, total $750 DYI, vs $1200 done.

Would you pay someone $450 to source that stuff and put it together? Would I?
With what I saved on materials I already had and bought speakers from amplifiedparts.com for $150 each with a free shipping coupon code. I built 2 loaded cabs complete with a cheap Behringer amp for $650 total.

Now that I think about it I only bought 1 sheet and cut up that table. I still got 1/2 sheet left. 1 full one may do it...be close tho
Let's see... the rough sizes are 14x16, 16x22, & 14x22. You need 2 of each for one cab. Yeah, you can make 2 cabs from only 1 sheet, and still have enough for corner gussets, or whatever they're called.

Let's see... the rough sizes are 14x16, 16x22, & 14x22. You need 2 of each for one cab. Yeah, you can make 2 cabs from only 1 sheet, and still have enough for corner gussets, or whatever they're called.
Was hoping you would chime in. 😁
I just started butchering a table without figuring it all out.😉 So yeah...$850+shipping for two empty cabs is still freaking highway robbery even with high lumber prices. Have you started on your cabs yet?

Last edited:
I just started butchering a table without figuring it all out.😉 So yeah...$850+shipping for two empty cabs is still freaking highway robbery even with high lumber prices. Have you started on your cabs yet?

They are $450 ;)

I swear last week they were $359 unloaded for the F12-X200 spec'd cab. I was looking and on the hunt
when I was considering going that route. Did the prices go up that fast, or am I losing my mind?? :)

I swear last week they were $359 unloaded for the F12-X200 spec'd cab. I was looking and on the hunt
when I was considering going that route. Did the prices go up that fast, or am I losing my mind?? :)
Lol....dude makes me realize how burnt I am trying to remember all the details of the build I did in March. 😂 I was sourcing shit from Amazon, parts express, my neighbors garage, my accumulated junk, the music store and craigslist for the amp. The hardware prices I listed are correct. Looked it up today.
Hardware (2 cabinets)
(parts express.com):
Grill hardware $7
Grills $20
Handles $13
Rubber feet $12
1/4" barrel jack $5
Exohyde $35
Exohyde rollers $15
Total $116

A DIY build is for sure WAY cheaper

Not yet.

It can be enough of a savings to do many things yourself, IF you start young, because you need the tools. Buying tools for just a project or 2, or even a few, probably isn't worth it. But when you amortize the cost of those tools over their useful lifespan, and you use them enough to justify the cost, then yeah, definitely.

I'm in carpentry, so I have those tools. But I also do automotive-type work on my own shit too. Some of the tools I own, transfer to automotive use, like having a cordless impact driver. I use that tool almost daily, but I also just used it to replace a bumper on my truck. And these days, being able to order parts from the convenience of your desk..., priceless. (Of course shopping going more and more in that direction is a double-edge sword, since it runs 'brick-&-mortar' stores out of business, so it becomes harder and harder to "try before you buy," like, GUITARS!!

But I digress.

DIY: you don't have the costs that a business does: Insurance (many types), overhead, taxes, and of course, labor costs. And keep in mind, your time is not free. But if you save $200 doing something yourself, you just have to figure out, based on how many hours it takes you, if it's worth it to you. And it doesn't always simply come down to the money aspect, because if it's something you just want to do yourself, because you enjoy it, then maybe the savings won't really factor in to your decision to DIY.

But make no mistake, these shows on TV make it all look easy, and hardly ever show you all the details and little tips, that if you don't know them, could really make a DIY project a lot harder than you initially think, especially if you are either not very handy to begin with, or have very little experience. And YT videos are hit or miss. Some people know what they're doing, but are horrible at explaining things, some talk too damn much, and some really have no business at all making a "how-to" video in the first place. And then, there are the good ones. But in order to tell them apart, you need to know a certain amount about the subject to begin with, yourself, I feel.

It can be enough of a savings to do many things yourself, IF you start young, because you need the tools. Buying tools for just a project or 2, or even a few, probably isn't worth it. But when you amortize the cost of those tools over their useful lifespan, and you use them enough to justify the cost, then yeah, definitely.

I'm in carpentry, so I have those tools. But I also do automotive-type work on my own shit too. Some of the tools I own, transfer to automotive use, like having a cordless impact driver. I use that tool almost daily, but I also just used it to replace a bumper on my truck. And these days, being able to order parts from the convenience of your desk..., priceless. (Of course shopping going more and more in that direction is a double-edge sword, since it runs 'brick-&-mortar' stores out of business, so it becomes harder and harder to "try before you buy," like, GUITARS!!

But I digress.

DIY: you don't have the costs that a business does: Insurance (many types), overhead, taxes, and of course, labor costs. And keep in mind, your time is not free. But if you save $200 doing something yourself, you just have to figure out, based on how many hours it takes you, if it's worth it to you. And it doesn't always simply come down to the money aspect, because if it's something you just want to do yourself, because you enjoy it, then maybe the savings won't really factor in to your decision to DIY.

But make no mistake, these shows on TV make it all look easy, and hardly ever show you all the details and little tips, that if you don't know them, could really make a DIY project a lot harder than you initially think, especially if you are either not very handy to begin with, or have very little experience. And YT videos are hit or miss. Some people know what they're doing, but are horrible at explaining things, some talk too damn much, and some really have no business at all making a "how-to" video in the first place. And then, there are the good ones. But in order to tell them apart, you need to know a certain amount about the subject to begin with, yourself, I feel.
Agree with @TSJMajesty 110% on all points...even cutting basic square panels... square... can be harder than you think without the correct tools and a little know how. Even the basic tools I used to build this project are by no means cheap if you don't own them or can't barrow them. To me the coolest part about this project, other than saving a crap ton of money, is knowing I made these and they aren't half bad. 😜🤘

Lol....dude makes me realize how burnt I am trying to remember all the details of the build I did in March. 😂 I was sourcing shit from Amazon, parts express, my neighbors garage, my accumulated junk, the music store and craigslist for the amp. The hardware prices I listed are correct. Looked it up today.
Hardware (2 cabinets)
(parts express.com):
Grill hardware $7
Grills $20
Handles $13
Rubber feet $12
1/4" barrel jack $5
Exohyde $35
Exohyde rollers $15
Total $116

A DIY build is for sure WAY cheaper

Haha! I am all on board with resourcefulness and reuse like that. If there is a next time
feel free to hit up my garage. :)

Last edited:
So if I was going to have Home Depot cut these out, what's the spec I should be looking for for the plywood?

Interior grade 1/2"? (Haven't seen the plans yet.) Baltic Birch I doubt they have. Something else?

That's ridiculous.
Something odd with that 850$ for 2 unloaded as they'll do 2 fully loaded , with different tolexes and weaves for 1K$ ... still not cheap .. not so bad .. While I'm fairly handy and have the tools I also work 60 hr weeks so .. time is money :)... ( I'm actually looking at the Barefaced double tweeter version... because I have more money than sense :) .and I'm so anal retentive that my own work doesn't meet my quality standards..

Back
Top Bottom