Carvin DCM1540L + 1x EV12 Passive :- Clipping issues

eoinbrett

So my FRFR setup has arrived before my first Axe 2.

I've done extensive testing with the FRFR system with Amplitube 3.5 but setup clips at very low volumes on crunch/distorted/fuzz/"thick"/low-end oriented presets on AT3.. This isn't subjective "low volumes", I mean some crunch presets clip at a ridiculously (objective) low volumes. Worth knowing that I'm new to the FRFR world, but I did a fair amount of research on the amp and speaker before purchase, and I'm very familiar with AT 3.5.

The Axe has been delayed in transit ( I'm in Ireland and it's coming from the USA) . My return window for the amp+speaker is closing fast, so I've come in my hour of need to kneel and seek council from the definitive FRFR/Modelling resource. (I mock not, ye guys/gals are!)

Speaker and Amp Specs ( I'm running the setup single channel @ 8 Ohms )

Amp:- Carvin DCM1540L

1 CHANNEL RMS continuous
- 8 ohms: 475 watts
- Frequency Response: +-.5 dB 20 Hz - 20 kHz
- THD< 0.03% @ 50% output, <.1% 20-20 kHz @ 90% output
- Output Topology: CLASS A/B

Speaker :- 1 x Electro-Voice ELX112 Passive 12" Loudspeaker

- Power Handling: 250W Continuous, 1000W Peak
- Freq. Response (-3dB): 82Hz-18kHz
- Freq. Range (-10dB): 55Hz-20kHz
- Crossover Frequency: 2.1kHz

Gear Variations
On the quest to solve the problem I've tried to rule out all other factors that might be causing the clipping.
Outright I can say:- it's not the Amplitube input or output levels/ computer interface / slow computer causing clipping (CPU @20% max, high buffer+ latency settings)

LTD+EMG Active pickup / Epiphone LP -> Focusrite Scarlet 2i4 -> Laptop -> Carvin - > EV 12
LTD+EMG Active pickup / Epiphone LP -> DI Box -> Focusrite Scarlet 2i4 -> Laptop -> Carvin - > EV 12
After reading online about guitar clipping issues with the Scarlet :
LTD+EMG Active pickup / Epiphone LP -> Behringer UCA222 -> Laptop -> Carvin - > EV 12
LTD+EMG Active pickup / Epiphone LP -> DI Box -> Behringer UCA222 -> Laptop -> Carvin - > EV 12

XLR between DI Box -> Interface and Speakon for Carvin -> EV12 .... Everything else connections 1/4" Mono jack

Tomorrow I will test the variations with a bass amp instead of Carvin -> EV12.... if it's good would rule out anything else bar the Amp+speaker that could be causing the clipping!

Final things:-
  • I asked two Carvin guys did they think a speaker @250W RMS would be ok for the 475W amp. They confirmed it would.. however I didn't cite any other info on the speaker...
  • I played some Metal through the speaker.... Maxing out the laptop volume and gain on the amp I could get up to 105 Decibels without clipping. It did sound strained at that volume though.
  • If you haven't noticed, I don't have a mixer....
  • Clipping is more evident on the neck pickup

Can I ask ye guys/gals what ye reckon is the cause of the clipping? Amp too overpowered for speaker, crossover frequency of speaker too high?
Should I return the speaker, and if so what other mid-priced (400$) passive could you recommend ?

Whether you can help or not I really appreciate you taking the time to read this!
All the best :)
Eoin

I don't know the problem with your setup, but I have a Carvin 1504L going into two CLR passive wedges and I'm getting only clear power. The CLRs are rated at about the same as those EVs.

Try a completely different source ( like a CD player or something) and see if you can lose the noise.

Gear Variations
On the quest to solve the problem I've tried to rule out all other factors that might be causing the clipping.
Outright I can say:- it's not the Amplitube input or output levels/ computer interface / slow computer causing clipping (CPU @20% max, high buffer+ latency settings)

Can you elaborate on how you have proven that these are not contributing to your problem?

The 250 rms would translate to 500 watts program so you would be fine there. What are the levels/ dials on your 1540L set on? Now with the Axe Fx2 I sometimes seem to run out of headroom in the bass area with the 1540L but I wouldn't say I am at a quiet/low level, been thinking of moving to the 3000L just for the extra headroom. I use 2 Xitone cabs and the 1540L. Let me know what your dials on the 1540L are set on. Also have you tried playing from the computer to any other source beside the the Carvin and EV? Seems to me there is a low end / level issue. Your ratings are fine between the speaker and power amp though. Also are you seeing the clip light on the 1540L come on? Let me know.

For sound cave practice 1504L set at 12...vary to taste with Axe II output knob.

Gigs, 1504L set at noon, vary to taste with A2 output knob. Window rattling sound levels and VERY clear.

I think you have some other problem. More power ain't gonna fix it.

Thanks for the replies guys
Just so ye all know ; my Axe 2 is still in transit and I'm testing the FRFR setup with Amplitube 3 lest I need to avail of the now rapidly closing return window for the speaker.

The 250 rms would translate to 500 watts program so you would be fine there. What are the levels/ dials on your 1540L set on? Now with the Axe Fx2 I sometimes seem to run out of headroom in the bass area with the 1540L but I wouldn't say I am at a quiet/low level, been thinking of moving to the 3000L just for the extra headroom. I use 2 Xitone cabs and the 1540L. Let me know what your dials on the 1540L are set on. Also have you tried playing from the computer to any other source beside the the Carvin and EV? Seems to me there is a low end / level issue. Your ratings are fine between the speaker and power amp though. Also are you seeing the clip light on the 1540L come on? Let me know.

The setup can clip on some presets even as low as a 1/5 of the way up (9o'clock) on the Carvins dial. At this gain on the amp, the 40% power light on the amp isn't even flashing .. So no clip light.. I measured clippings at 84 Db on one crunch preset.
Yes so I outputted into my friends bass amp last night, keeping all the other variables the constant (Guitar -> Berhinger UAC 222 -> Laptop (Amplitube) -> Bass Amp )
I was really hoping for clipping , but there was none ; it sounded great. This points the finger at the EV/Carvin pairing.

Confusing the issue more ; I've played mp3s from my laptop through the Carvin+Ev... Playing Dream Theatre and maxing the laptops volume and the Carvin's gain out, I got 105 Db on my phone.... There was hints of clippings at this volume, and it sounded quite strained.

Can you elaborate on how you have proven that these are not contributing to your problem?
So the chain is :
Guitar -> Interface - > Laptop for Amplitube -> Amp + Speaker
I tried two guitars, two interfaces, and two sound producing devices ( bass amp vs. carvin+EV) and only variation that stopped the clipping was with the Bass amp instead of Carvin+EV.
So unless I'm missing something (and being a FRFR newb I could very well be) the guilt of clipping gets laid on the Carvin+EV.

So today is my last day to return the speaker... And I think I might, because I don't think I have another option.

Last thoughts
  • I'm not using a mixer. Since I have no controls for bass/treble on the speaker, could the lack of a mixer be causing this?
  • Anyone know much about idea guitar crossover frequencys for an FRFR? The EV12's crossover is 21000Hz, which seems rather high.

Thanks again guys

So the chain is :
Guitar -> Interface - > Laptop for Amplitube -> Amp + Speaker

Shot in the dark here but it could be the fact that your using the laptop output that's causing the issue. Line level (-10) outputs are quite a bit lower then Nominal (+4) so your having to hit the front of the amp with a lot more input to get volume hence reaching clip earlier. I would try a small mixer so you can convert the signal to give the right input signal I bet money you will have a bigger smile when you hear it.

Back
Top Bottom