Can't use my Axe-Fx in my 5150's fx loop

saxxamafone

Inspired
Hey all

Not sure if I have this setup right.
Can't seem to get my axe to work in my 5150's fx loop...it keeps overloading, volume decreases...just sounds bad.

I have the axe set to rear input
poweramp disabled
cab sims disabled

I seem to have to turn the axe volume right up to get any kind of fx going (this produces more noise too)

Anyone successfuly running their axe in an amp's fx loop?
maybe it's just my amp's fx loop is poor?
pedals seemed to sound better in front of the amp VS in the loop too

1- have you tried it just with Shunts (so NO FX) first?
2- You have Input to left, rear and also plugged in the rear left input/output?
3 - Is the FX-Loop of that amp serial or parallel?

will continue......

How do you have it [wired] hooked up ?
Normal would be Output1 into effect return on amp.
However, a quick look at the 5150 OM indicates the following:
Only non-gain effects devices (chorus, reverb, delay, etc.) should be used in the effects loop.
You may need something plugged into the 1/4 input jack to activate the effects loop if you are not actively playing thru the amp. You may also need to set your output1 to L+R Sum since there's only a single 1/4 jack on the 5150 return.

You might see if that fixes anything - but make sure you have output levels turned down first.
Don't want to damage ears or blow the effects return on the amp !

There's a good chance the levels are not properly set somewhere in the chain. How is everything hooked up? Guitar -> 5150, and Axe in the loop?

thanks for all the suggestions fellas

i'll give all of this a go and report back

i'm running a very simple chain..guitar > head > axefx (in fx loop) > cab

saxxamafone said:
thanks for all the suggestions fellas

i'll give all of this a go and report back

i'm running a very simple chain..guitar > head > axefx (in fx loop) > cab

In that case, first thing is to setup a neutral patch like dongrosh suggested with all shunts. Turn output knob on the Axe to zero, and start adjusting the input knob so it peaks red occasionally when strumming hard. Then bring the output knob up to a point where the volume is about the same with or without the Axe-Fx in the loop. Now, you have a unity-gain setup where the Axe-FX is not adding or removing volume to your amp, nothing should be clipping, so your tone should be roughly the same as well. Let us know if you can get to this point.

Back
Top Bottom