Cant get good sound-some amps/high gain/just not happening

symphx

Fractal Fanatic
Hi all, try as I might, I cant get a real good thick gain sound with
1) Das Metal-Ive lowered bass used filters added drive pedals

2) Cant get any decent Brown sound van halen type, its very very low gain, and drive pedals dont thicken it up, def. no eruption sounds here,

3) struggling with CAE lead/rhythm, this sounds like a sickly sick high gain amp when Mark Day uses the real one, I get weak average non sustained gain with it

4) even 6505 isnt blowing me away, where it does on my peavey vypyr tube 120 it shreds.

I feel like many of the amps are just missing a real serious gain stage, Ive hit boost, used saturation, adjusted input trim added stomps and just dont get that real real gain, Im surprised the friedman hbe is so heavy and I love it, but cmon need some more. the real peavey 6505 has like 5 preamp stages; I dont feel like Im getting it.

Gain is not a problem,increases the value of the imput trim in advance parameters...all the gain of the world!!!!!

I'm still struggling with my high gain patches as well...

Kick up the saturation switch, turn down the gain (2.0-3.0), kick up the master to around 5.0, kick up the depth to between 3.0-4.0 (this gives it girth)... and if it needs a little bit more high end kick up the presence and/or kick up 4k and 8k by 3db... it gets much better... still not where I want it but much better.

For me I've been playing around with the MV Location and I really like the "in ya face" feel and sound of Pre-Triode but I can't seem to get it to sound anywhere as "gainy" as I want... it's way too clean but it's got that "umpphff"...

Last edited:
Have you tried Mark's patches he posted? He is known as always having "too much" gain for most folks. That sounds right up your alley in the amount of gain. His newer patch he posted on the forum has more gain than his patch included with the axe if i recall. Could be a good starting point?

I'm still struggling with my high gain patches as well...

Kick up the saturation switch, turn down the gain (2.0-3.0), kick up the master to around 5.0, kick up the depth to between 3.0-4.0 (this gives it girth)... and if it needs a little bit more high end kick up the presence and/or kick up 4k and 8k by 3db... it gets much better... still not where I want it but much better.

For me I've been playing around with the MV Location and I really like the "in ya face" feel and sound of Pre-Triode but I can't seem to get it to sound anywhere as "gainy" as I want... it's way too clean but it's got that "umpphff"...

yep Ive been wondering and trying different locations of things, tone block location pre post mid, saturation button, triodes diodes biases

Have you tried Mark's patches he posted? He is known as always having "too much" gain for most folks. That sounds right up your alley in the amount of gain. His newer patch he posted on the forum has more gain than his patch included with the axe if i recall. Could be a good starting point?

but of course, and like I said friedman hbe may be the best gain I can get but its a one trick pony so to speak, would like a lot more amps I can play with, would really like the 5150/pv6505 to shred ,

thanks for the thoughts keep em coming, anyone got a rrrrrrreal good van halen sound, like both brown and modern, still cant get EVH dialed in, which is so ironic given this things capabilities.

The Brown Sound on II isn't as good as on G1, but I like the EVH circa 1982 one.
PS EvH didn't use that much gain....

Do you always use the right cab for the selected amp?

Try the Boost switch for more gain.

Last edited:
This Axe II is a subtle beast. There are some glorious sounds to be had but I find my Gen I tweak fingers need to be sent on vacation. In a way it is discouraging because a learning curve is at Hand here! No pun intended. It's like trying to find the toy buried in the cereal box. You know its in there but struggle to find it. When you finally do, your grinning like a 4 year-old from ear to ear. I am sure many members will post there path to the promise-land in the months that come.

Last edited:
I only have an ultra but my maiN tone comes from the 5150 keep the master around 3 to 3.50 hit the front of the amp with a ts808 or mod. With my pickups my gain stats around 2 or 3. Use a v30 based cab ownhammer works for me than put a peq in front and cut out what you don't need. I cut from 125,250,500 hz I also use a blocking eq. Could never wish I had more gain

Back
Top Bottom