Can't afford a Klon? Grab a Bad Monkey!

Better get this on the wishlist for modelling ASAP! I used the monkey for years as the OD for my little mini rectifier stack and thought it was just fine, but the tendency of people to pile on trends instead of using their ears to find their good tone will never cease to amaze me.

Worse than the Josh Scott produced hype is the ensuing hype that follows. Just because over zealous reverb.com guys are asking $600 doesn't mean that's what they're selling for. To wit, as I write this, nine have sold today, Mar 16 and all sold for between $125 and $225. Yesterday, 16 sold, all for between $139 and $235. A significant mark up to be sure but not the stratospheric number being tossed around and talked about. Nonetheless, unchecked, irrational GAS can be a horrible thing.

Last edited:
I got a bad monkey years ago after seeing Phil X play one on the old frettedamericana videos. I don't know what happened to it though.

I know this thread is about JHS and youtube videos' effect on market prices, but...

Just a reminder that the estimable @Burgs posted the famous Klon/Bad Monkey shootout 13 years ago. That video itself was the focus of many TGP debates about the Klon, and preceded most (all?) of the Klon comparison (not demo) videos (e.g. Taylor Barefoot's shootout/KTR reveal). I wrote about those videos and how they were referenced in online discussion as part of my PhD dissertation regarding Youtube and other online forums changing the nature of "guitar culture."

I know this thread is about JHS and youtube videos' effect on market prices, but...

Just a reminder that the estimable @Burgs posted the famous Klon/Bad Monkey shootout 13 years ago. That video itself was the focus of many TGP debates about the Klon, and preceded most (all?) of the Klon comparison (not demo) videos (e.g. Taylor Barefoot's shootout/KTR reveal). I wrote about those videos and how they were referenced in online discussion as part of my PhD dissertation regarding Youtube and other online forums changing the nature of "guitar culture."
That's actually super interesting. Fixing to go dig that up to get through this last 45 mins of work, lol.

Hmmm... I have one in a box somewhere.

Anyone want to give me $600? I'd be willing to do a 50% discount for forum members... A bargain at $300! :)

Seriously, let me know if you want to make a reasonable offer.

Back
Top Bottom