Can you use the USB interface for 44.1k recording?

Record to 48, then let your DAW take care of downsampling to 44.1 when the time comes. Unless the original track absolutely must be 44.1...which I doubt.

Actually, it must. All of my projects are at 44.1k. (as is everything I record, and the VSTis I use)

However, with the Axe-FX II's converters, and my ULN8, I'm really not too concerned. ;)

It would be handy if the sampling rate for the USB interface could be changed in the AXE-FX. I have some projects in 44khz that I would like to re-record guitars.

+1 on an option for 44.1ksps.

This may be a larger issue if the internal DSP is tied to the 48ksps rate. FYI, I have a Yamaha MLAN system (O1X mixer, 2 i88 I/Os and an ES8 keyboard, changed the word clock to 48 ksps to be happy with AX2 via SPDIF)..

It would be handy for sure. But, conversion done with software has much better quality than conversion done with hardware. Thus Cliff hasn't included such a feature to axe-fx hardware, and also the conversion would be way too heavy to be done in real time with axe's firmware. So options are to use analog outs, or record 48k digital and convert to wanted sample rate in your daw.

+1 on an option for 44.1ksps.

this has been discussed at length.
short version: 48kHz is the Axe's internal sampling frequency. To output anything else the signal would have to be resampled (like many other manufacturers do) internally.
Cliff feels that this is inferior to software resampling algorithms.
Once again: quality over quantity.

@DonPetersen: Which is absolutely fine. I did not know if the USB interface had SRC built in. That being said, I probably would take the converters of the AFX2 and my ULN8 over sub par SRC. The ability to record a dry track was the part that appealed to me. However, I've been micing up guitar rigs for quite some time, and it really helps you learn your tone and aide in getting things right the first time, in terms of how that track will sit in the mix.

@DonPetersen: Which is absolutely fine. I did not know if the USB interface had SRC built in. That being said, I probably would take the converters of the AFX2 and my ULN8 over sub par SRC. The ability to record a dry track was the part that appealed to me. However, I've been micing up guitar rigs for quite some time, and it really helps you learn your tone and aide in getting things right the first time, in terms of how that track will sit in the mix.

right.
to me the whole reamping idea is very overrated.
get a sound that works, track with it, double, triple with another or even the same sound - move on.
to quote Jimmy Douglass: "No one has to make any decisions now, and consequentially, nobody really knows or thinks about what they really want. It's digital. You can always change it later."

I know this is an old post, but I think it's worth a bounce. I don't think it's fair to stipulate that everyone should have to re-work every recorded project they have because the Axe refuses to change sample rate to match the said projects, and if you're working with freeze edits like I am (200 tracks with full orchestra), then you cannot get the project itself to change it's sample rate to accommodate the Axe FX. If it is an ASIO/WDM soundcard too, as I believe it is, then it should accept the most common sample rate out there. It's not like we're wanting 32bit 192khz, 44.1khz is a pretty standard bitrate. Splintered Soul's entire album is being done on Pro tools at 44.1khz, 24 bit, because with our amount of tracks going down, it's too much to ask of the system at a higher bitrate. But I'm now going to be excluded from all the benefits of the Axe FX's USB due to it's inflexibility in sample rate :(

Even if there were no others to choose from, 44.1khz and 48khz are plenty for anyone.

I feel the same about 48k USB but we can't expect it to just happen or if it's even possible. Everything I've done is at 44k and I won't resample all my tracks just to have a digital AXE input. You'll be hard pressed to tell the difference in a mix if you just take the balanced analog out straight into some good converters instead of going digital.

I feel the same about 48k USB but we can't expect it to just happen or if it's even possible. Everything I've done is at 44k and I won't resample all my tracks just to have a digital AXE input. You'll be hard pressed to tell the difference in a mix if you just take the balanced analog out straight into some good converters instead of going digital.

Yep it does look like the only solution, but it won't stop me grovelling :)

Merry christmas my friend

Hi Chris

As Kev said above go analogue. I must say I use SPDIF at 48K and record all my tracks at this rate at 32 bit, however I remember Cliff posting a year or two ago that he felt the analogue output was way better than digital on the AxeFx due to limitations on most digital soundcards - jitter rate etc.

Best Wishes

48khz is only a problem if you want to reedit older projects or have to work in an enviroment where the samplerate is fixed to something different. im just using 48khz in all of my upcoming projects and am fine .. reamping flexibility over usb is just to powerfull to go without it!

48khz is only a problem if you want to reedit older projects or have to work in an enviroment where the samplerate is fixed to something different. im just using 48khz in all of my upcoming projects and am fine .. reamping flexibility over usb is just to powerfull to go without it!

Yes, reamping is the one thing that does make it hard not to start using 48k. I like to work at finding the right tone for track up front and just go with it but we do change our minds..... don't we? I consider the cab one of the biggest tone shaping components so most of the time I will record a seperate track without the cab so I can use the Rewire MixIr to try different cabs during the mix.

Thing is, you don’t need to use the USB to reamp. If you have a 4x4 AI, you should be able to reamp simply by connecting the Axe’s appropriate in’s and out’s to the AI via ¼” jack cables.
I think what a lot of folk are missing here is not how reamping is done, but why it’s done, and also that it is a two step process:
1 – record the dry and monitor with your favourite tone – but you don’t have to record it, and in fact it’s maybe better not to record it cos you’ll most likely erase it anyhow...
2 – playback the dry tone whilst routing it to an amp / fx-unit [the reamping processes itself] and record that wet tone.
The whole point is that you can fine tune the wet tone whilst it is sounding in the mix.
If it’s not possible to audition the wet signal [that is being ‘played’ by the recorded dry signal] within the mix the whole process becomes a little pointless.

Thing is, you don’t need to use the USB to reamp. If you have a 4x4 AI, you should be able to reamp simply by connecting the Axe’s appropriate in’s and out’s to the AI via ¼” jack cables.
I think what a lot of folk are missing here is not how reamping is done, but why it’s done, and also that it is a two step process:
1 – record the dry and monitor with your favourite tone – but you don’t have to record it, and in fact it’s maybe better not to record it cos you’ll most likely erase it anyhow...
2 – playback the dry tone whilst routing it to an amp / fx-unit [the reamping processes itself] and record that wet tone.
The whole point is that you can fine tune the wet tone whilst it is sounding in the mix.
If it’s not possible to audition the wet signal [that is being ‘played’ by the recorded dry signal] within the mix the whole process becomes a little pointless.

True and can be done if you have 4 outs. I use a Lynx IIC which is a 6 in 2 out.
Also, you are doing a lot more D/A-A/D conversions that way than if you stayed digital using USB reamping.

Back
Top Bottom