Can you use an External Midi Controller to Toggle Scene?

stm113

Power User
So as the title says I am curious if an external midi device like the Hotone pictured below can be used to toggle scenes? On my Per Preset layouts I like for FS 1 to toggle between scenes 1 & 4. 1 being my dry rhythm and 4 being my Lead. Most of the time I am going to a lead from the Rhythm tone and returning to it after so its easy, plus with it being the first switch on the bottom corner its an easy target on a busy and sometimes dark stage. Plus it allows me to get the 4 scenes I use on each preset in 3 switches, freeing the rest up for 6 effects to be switched on or off.

I have been thinking of adding a small midi controller like the Hotone to my set up to free up the other 3 switches and being able to add a little more functionality. Does anyone know if that is do-able?

1680876562964.png

I just spent some time learning how to do patch and scene changes via MIDI from Pro Tools. You can assign PC (Program Change) values to specific patches and scenes. It is in the SETUP->MIDI/Remote->Mapping page. I did find that using it for scene changes was a little slow to respond, perhaps because it is changing the preset as well every time. I saw a reference in the manual about using sysex commands for scene changes, but did not have the patients to figure out how to send them from Pro Tools. Hope that helps.

I just spent some time learning how to do patch and scene changes via MIDI from Pro Tools. You can assign PC (Program Change) values to specific patches and scenes. It is in the SETUP->MIDI/Remote->Mapping page. I did find that using it for scene changes was a little slow to respond, perhaps because it is changing the preset as well every time. I saw a reference in the manual about using sysex commands for scene changes, but did not have the patients to figure out how to send them from Pro Tools. Hope that helps.
That is scene change not scene toggle... A little different.

Also, PC Mapping is not a great general purpose solution although for some use cases it's the only choice.

You can also send a PC followed by an appropriate CC to change scenes.

So as the title says I am curious if an external midi device like the Hotone pictured below can be used to toggle scenes? On my Per Preset layouts I like for FS 1 to toggle between scenes 1 & 4. 1 being my dry rhythm and 4 being my Lead. Most of the time I am going to a lead from the Rhythm tone and returning to it after so its easy, plus with it being the first switch on the bottom corner its an easy target on a busy and sometimes dark stage. Plus it allows me to get the 4 scenes I use on each preset in 3 switches, freeing the rest up for 6 effects to be switched on or off.

I have been thinking of adding a small midi controller like the Hotone to my set up to free up the other 3 switches and being able to add a little more functionality. Does anyone know if that is do-able?

View attachment 118990
There is not a midi controllable scene toggle option, however you may be able to program a switch on the Ampero to send the correct alternating CC data values to do what you want.

I have no experience with that controller so can't offer much help.

Not a help on the actual matter, but I have this controller for my FM3, mainly because of it’s small size.
One thing that I dont like, is that it - to the best of my knowledge - can not do Hold without the Tap function being executed first, and that irritates me.

cheers
Søren

Back
Top Bottom