Can you hear a difference?

Can you hear a difference?

• Total voters

ML SOUND LAB

Cab Pack Wizard
Vendor
Sorry for the title, it's not meant to be a rebellion but it's just continuing the same subject in another poll.

We actually went on and bought a two channel Dual Rectifier because the first comparison gave us GAS for real amps.

This is not 100% apples to apples and I'll start with that. Our Recto is Rev G and the two channel Recto in the Axe-Fx is Rev F if I'm not mistaken. Here's a video demonstrating the difference: Mesa 2ch Rectifier RevF vs. RevG Rackto (HQ comparison clip) - YouTube

However that Recto sim was closest to our Rev G so I started tweaking a totally new preset. The same EQ settings didn't sound good but what I did was try and get extremely close with the EQ and then tone match them to sound the same. I think I got really close. So in this clip there are two different signal chains.

1) EBMM BFR JP6 + Mesa Dual Rectifier Rev F sim from Axe-Fx II + tone matching that forces the preamps to have the same EQ balance + 100% colorless IR of the mic position used in the other clip.
2) EBMM BFR JP6 + Mesa Dual Rectifier Rev G + 4x12 V30 + SM57 raw signal.

So far we were surprised at how much the old Recto sounded almost like a Mark series amp. None of that boomy low end you get from the newer Rectifiers. Great!

So let's start the voting! :)

I hear difference, but I can't tell if it's in the playing. It's very difficult to find a seam. Main difference is that palm mutes have more tone / body in the first half. Is it the amp, or is it the position of your muting hand over the strings.. I can't tell.

And what's the weird ringing feedback in the first half of the clip? It almost sounds like it's under the entire first half while playing is going on.

Second is the Axe. And I don't really care which is which. Both are good. I responded that I can hear a difference, but that's only because there wasn't much of an attempt to make them the same.

I really don't get into this poll syndrom. "How old is the paper on the actual speakers"?
How worn is the output tubes? Which kind of input tubes, rectifiers (or diodes if).

Collect five amps of the same build - and they will sound different.

I can hear a difference, much more so in this "can you hear a difference" poll vs. Cliff's poll. Obviously, as you said, it's not completely apples to apples. I can hear a weird hollowness in the 2nd clip. I've never liked tone-matched patches and my guess would be the "tone match" block in the AXE is creating some of that weirdness, therefore I'm guessing the 2nd clip is the AXE.

Yeah. Well I guess I wasn't too successful with getting the tones sound the same then since everyone's getting it right. There's just a depth in the real amp that I'm having a hard time getting with the Axe-Fx. Also exactly what mrMagenta said:

I hear difference, but I can't tell if it's in the playing. It's very difficult to find a seam. Main difference is that palm mutes have more tone / body in the first half. Is it the amp, or is it the position of your muting hand over the strings.. I can't tell.

What happens when I palm mute is completely different. The depth control didn't get me there either. I guess it just shows that EQ is not everything.

First sounds filler and has a nice fat.... ahem.... bottom. The second sounds brighter and would probably suit a mix better.

I can't tell which one I prefer more.

Ha. I don't hear a difference here :D And it amazed me in the other poll that people didn't :D

edit: After taking the poll it's even funnier: most people do hear it :D

Sounds like you did a tone match using recordings. A Live tone match is easier and yields much more accurate response, especially in the low frequencies.

Now that I've bought the rev g dual we can try the live tonemach for the first time, definitely gonna try that too.

But maybe later since the recto went straight to amp tech to mod the loop from parallel to series so I can 4CM my axe fx with it.

About todays tests... I didnt find the feel of axe fx near as good as real thing when played though dual rec power amp...it's some sort of attack thing or something thats "still" missing, but the actual sound was pretty close..

For me depth was always the case but I understand that things take time for Cliff to realise and implement. Im personally happy how far Cliff went but i also would like Kemper to be slayed for its imperfections which i think are far greater than our black box.

Last edited:
Yes, I can hear a difference, in fact more than one. First part has more bottom, more breathe, second half is kind of sterile, maybe less distortion, less low freq aliveness.

Back
Top Bottom