Can We Stop Calling It A Home Studio?

I don't mind the suggestion, as "home studio" can conjure up several questions... OTOH, I can't find an example where it would be important to me to know if something was made on a laptop or in a full-blown studio in someone's home. Often the quality or the person will be a giveaway. If Vince Gill tells me it was made in his home studio, it's unlikely to be a laptop.

Also, the charm of language for some is how many words go back 100 years and meant something different. Leave etymologists their hobby ;)

I don't mind the suggestion, as "home studio" can conjure up several questions... OTOH, I can't find an example where it would be important to me to know if something was made on a laptop or in a full-blown studio in someone's home. Often the quality or the person will be a giveaway. If Vince Gill tells me it was made in his home studio, it's unlikely to be a laptop.

Also, the charm of language for some is how many words go back 100 years and meant something different. Leave etymologists their hobby ;)
I’m not an originalist and everyone’s hobby is fair game.

To be clear, I’m interested in the process of recording not necessarily the location. For example, what microphone was used what was the signal chain, outboard effects or plug-ins…

The reason being is that I may want to recreate the sound or learn a new recording/production method or just like nerding out on technical details.

Obviously, the topic is an important subject that deserves some introspection considering how polarizing it is. I honestly didn’t expect people to react so strongly about this topic.

Last edited:
To be clear, I’m interested in the process of recording not necessarily the location. For example, what microphone was used what was the signal chain, outboard effects or plug-ins…
My point was also that your new word will not automatically include all that info.
And as many people like expensive toys (which often they don't know how to use), the guy with the laptop needs to be cross examined as much as the full studio team, I'd say...

I live and work in Los Angeles so there more than a few 'studios' around. Some are in buildings zoned as commercial, some in houses, some in apartments. I've seen 'studios' in commercial buildings that are nothing more than gear in a room, and 'studios' in homes in Malibu, Topanga etc that would be considered world class.

I appreciate the discussion but am not overly concerned about what you call your studio space. All I care about is if we can get the work done.

Here was my idea of a 'home studio' in the 1980s
NED Synclaier.jpg

Tom Scholz made history with his 'home studio' in the 1970s
TS Boston Studiojpg.jpg

I live and work in Los Angeles so there more than a few 'studios' around. Some are in buildings zoned as commercial, some in houses, some in apartments. I've seen 'studios' in commercial buildings that are nothing more than gear in a room, and 'studios' in homes in Malibu, Topanga etc that would be considered world class.

I appreciate the discussion but am not overly concerned about what you call your studio space. All I care about is if we can get the work done.

Here was my idea of a 'home studio' in the 1980s
View attachment 139001

Tom Scholz made history with his 'home studio' in the 1970s
View attachment 139000
Thank you for these wonderful photos.

I guess I feel put off a little when someone presents their work and before I even listen to it they’re like,”this was done in my home studio”. It’s almost like they’re saying don’t be too critical of this because it’s not done in a professional environment.

I would rather just listen to the recording and vibe on it based on the merit of the work.
It would be like me giving you a demo and saying” I made this with my Harley Benton and didn’t change the strings”. You would never know what I played the song with and if it was good it wouldn’t matter.

Last edited:
I don’t really care about the verbiage used to describe the working environment, but I do take pause when somebody selects a two measure pattern from a factory library, pastes it onto a track 150 times, then calls themselves a “producer”.

I don’t really care about the verbiage used to describe the working environment, but I do take pause when somebody selects a two measure pattern from a factory library, pastes it onto a track 150 times, then calls themselves a “producer”.
Now that’s another topic ripe with discussion, maybe kick off a thread?

There wouldn’t be much discussion for that one, mostly just a bunch of old farts with their arms crossed and muttering their agreement. We don’t make beats, dawg.

😝

eric cartman fight GIF by South Park

I like makin’ beats … nsk nsk nsk

Back
Top Bottom