Can Axe Edit Track Real-Time Changes?

stringrazor

Inspired
I looked through the manual and forum but didn't see this subject (apologies if I missed it).

I notice that when working with a MIDI controller (an FCB in my case) and Axe Edit at the same time that changes triggered via MIDI within a patch (block enable/bypass, most notably) are not reflected on the Axe Edit display. When I used to work with a Johnson/Digitech Millennium amp and RPEdit, RPEdit had a "listen to MIDI" function that would reflect changes on the PC screen that were made via the foot controller or front panel. Can Axe Edit do that too?

If you assign a bypass modifier to any block it will enable AE's polling of bypass states. That could be an unused, disconnected block or anything you don't need to bypass (set modifier Min/Max to ON).

I'm not sure I understand. Are you saying, all I need is a single bypass modifier defined on any block and AE will poll the bypass states of every block in the patch?

Well, that works like a charm. It seems like a super secret handshake though. Is it documented someplace? Why/how does it work?

Yeah, RPEdit was a nice editor. The Johnson amp (still have it) was the best modeler of it's time, IMHO. Hybrid design used 2 12AX7 tubes in the preamp. Had one of the best, most flexible control pedal designs I've ever seen. Beat the stuffing out of the Line6 crap but they got buried by superior marketing.

I'd like to see Axe Edit made capable of setting up anything that can be set on the Axe2.

Well, that works like a charm. It seems like a super secret handshake though. Is it documented someplace? Why/how does it work?

One of the AE developers mentioned it here. I think it makes AE send a request for the bypass states 1-2 times per second, and the Axe responds.

I tried setting up a "bypass modifier" by selecting a modifiable parameter (e.g., level) and then selecting source as external 8 (there is no external 8 pedal) while setting the min/max values the same (for this exercise). I could not see the blocks become active/inactive when I depressed the appropriate footswitch on the MFC-101.

Do I have the right approach to a bypass modifier?

Thanks,

Nick

Back
Top Bottom