Can anyone recommend learning resources for Fractal controllers?

Beexter

Inspired
I'd really like to learn how to get the most from the internal controllers available in the Fractalverse - particularly the ADSR controllers.
They seem very powerful but despite searching, I've been unable to find any videos or articles that detail how to use them and what they are capable of.

Has anyone come across anything worth sharing?

I'd really like to learn how to get the most from the internal controllers available in the Fractalverse - particularly the ADSR controllers.
They seem very powerful but despite searching, I've been unable to find any videos or articles that detail how to use them and what they are capable of.

I've not messed around with the ADSR at all. I would typically turn to Cooper Carter or Leon Todd for some free advice though. Here's an interesting CC video regarding the ADSR to maybe give you some insight and inspiration. You might also gain insight by doing a deep dive on some factory synth-type presets.

@fcs101 - thank you! That CC video was really helpful.

I think there's definitely scope for more videos on the power and flexibility of controllers. In the linked video, Cooper even referenced the fact that the ADSR controllers are extremely powerful, yet misunderstood and underused.

The ability to fully customise controllers is a real USP for Fractal and I think more content on how to get the most from them would be really beneficial.

I haven’t tried this myself. But I saw ADSR this and that awhile back. So I looked it up. There are videos on the tube on ADSR. It’s not only a FAS thing so you can learn from other videos. They can help you understand it anyhow. I wasn’t sure what I’d use it on to tell you the truth but I’ll get around to it.

@simeon - thank you! Really helpful in helping to understand some of the capabilities and applications for the controllers.
Despite your informative, in-depth video (thanks again for taking the time to share your knowledge in a straightforward way), I suspect it is still scratching the surface of what can be done. It seems like our own imagination is the limiting factor ( and some of us clearly have broader imaginations than others!)

This is such a powerful feature with almost limitless possibilities and from my experience, only Fractal seem to offer this level of control.

I'm surprised that there aren't more articles/ videos covering this as it expands the capabilities of the Fractal units massively.
Thanks again for all the replies so far.

Cooper Carter’s Masterclass. Worth every penny.

ADSR is all about creating the “envelope” of a sound. This terminology mostly comes out of the synth world. That’s how I know and knew about it and understand the concepts and mistakingly assumed everyone dealing with sophisticated tech would also. As far as step by step instructions for the Fractal the @simeon video is gonna be pretty much it or as mentioned the Cooper Carter class. Although, messing with some VST plugins in your DAW that are versions of early analog synths will help get the concept. As far as specific parameters on the Fractal I did the “trial and error” approach. But that’s just me. Until I do it myself and figure it out this sort of stuff never sticks permanently.

Thanks to everyone for the replies.

I'm still trying to get my head around the difference between the envelope controller and the ADSR but hopefully studying the linked videos and articles will help to clarify.

One of the things I'm trying to do is pick a note on the guitar and have it sustain indefinitely - kind of like an e-bow effect. Using the reverb or delay hold doesn't produce quite the result I'm after.
I thought the ADSR controller might have been the answer, given the ability to increase the volume and time of the sustain phase but I clearly still have a fair bit to learn as the note won't sustain for the duration of the ADSR curve, even with the sustain volume maxed.

Thanks to everyone for the replies.

I'm still trying to get my head around the difference between the envelope controller and the ADSR but hopefully studying the linked videos and articles will help to clarify.

One of the things I'm trying to do is pick a note on the guitar and have it sustain indefinitely - kind of like an e-bow effect. Using the reverb or delay hold doesn't produce quite the result I'm after.
I thought the ADSR controller might have been the answer, given the ability to increase the volume and time of the sustain phase but I clearly still have a fair bit to learn as the note won't sustain for the duration of the ADSR curve, even with the sustain volume maxed.
Ah ha, that is a slightly different thing. Try doing a search for “note freeze” on FM3 or Fractal, etc. it may be what you’re wanting. It’s not exactly like holding the note when played immediately because you’re holding the sampled note of the delay or reverb block, but it’s darn close and cool.
Check this video and preset out:

https://axechange.fractalaudio.com/detail.php?preset=9587

And just to clarify, having a decay phase is sort of inherit with an envelope. Even a synth would have what they call a sample and hold function. Because sustaining (processing) a note infinitely and then playing something on top gets a bit more complex. I have to admit I don’t know the absolute limits of the FM3 synth block, but even a dedicated synth with lots of dedicated processing and polyphony would start to drop notes as it ran out of polyphony.

Oh and you would want to crank the release and decay more so than the sustain, but even then it will have limitations. Maybe someone can answer. Is it possible to use a control switch to hold the release with a foot switch until you let off?

Last edited:
on a Synth yes, but you're dealing with an oscillator as a source which can sound indefinitely and has no shape on its own so to speak. quite the opposite to a string which has sort of an ADSR implemented by nature...

@Beexter
One other little bit of inspiration. Keep trying different things. I’m not at my FM3 right now and not always the best at explaining things, but the FM3 and all of Fractal are so powerful for doing cool stuff like you want. It seems you have the desire and even if you can’t quite get what you’re wanting you will learn so much in the process. When you get to the point of frustration take a break and come back and explore some more.

Out of box stuff is pretty cool. Like where in the video of @simeon on the Pitch Looper patch used the sequencer to create a slow LFO type effect because the square wave function of the actual LFO was unable to be set at a slow enough rate.

on a Synth yes, but you're dealing with an oscillator as a source which can sound indefinitely and has no shape on its own so to speak. quite the opposite to a string which has sort of an ADSR implemented by nature...
Of course - that makes complete sense now.
@Beexter
One other little bit of inspiration. Keep trying different things. I’m not at my FM3 right now and not always the best at explaining things, but the FM3 and all of Fractal are so powerful for doing cool stuff like you want. It seems you have the desire and even if you can’t quite get what you’re wanting you will learn so much in the process. When you get to the point of frustration take a break and come back and explore some more.

Out of box stuff is pretty cool. Like where in the video of @simeon on the Pitch Looper patch used the sequencer to create a slow LFO type effect because the square wave function of the actual LFO was unable to be set at a slow enough rate.
This is it - the Fractal kit is so powerful in this regard - it's my lack of knowledge and understanding that is the weak link but the responses to this thread have been really helpful in improving that side of things!

Back
Top Bottom