Cables recommendation

Bought bulk cable from BTPA years ago and made a bunch of cables for 4CM when kitting out my old Boogie Mark IV and pedalboard based rig. The same cables have now been through my Axe II and now my Axe III. Still as solid and quiet as ever. Good stuff.

Mine are boring black, but I do have a soft spot for tweed cables.

I bought one of the same last year in Admin Matt approved orange ;)

Replaced the George Ls I'd been using for years.

I need to buy another just to have a good backup. Purple next time!
I have three braided cables — one blue, one green, and one purple — to keep the Axe III, the FM9 and the FM3 separate during beta testing. Otherwise, I just use basic black and braidless. They lie flat on the stage better than the braided ones do.

You have 2 cables going into a stereo jack.

You use a Y cable that takes 2 mono inputs and combines them into a stereo output.
I’m having a Hell of a time finding a dual female XLR to TRS adapter from a reputable manufacturer. Can you assist me? I found one on Amazon in 10-foot length, but I am completely unfamiliar with the manufacturer ( “Disino” ). It seems rather foolish to spend almost $6K on an FX unit and FRFR cabinet only to connect them with shit-quality cables.

I’m having a Hell of a time finding a dual female XLR to TRS adapter from a reputable manufacturer. Can you assist me? I found one on Amazon in 10-foot length, but I am completely unfamiliar with the manufacturer ( “Disino” ). It seems rather foolish to spend almost $6K on an FX unit and FRFR cabinet only to connect them with shit-quality cables.
I'd honestly just use Dual TS female to TRS male if it were me. Then you can use whatever length instrument cables you need.

Seconded. I have a really nice instrument cable with the "silent plug" on the instrument end. Top notch quality!
Third-ed. Just got a couple. Silent plug is cool. Quality gear.

Only thing I'm not 100% sold on is the cable itself, it has opinions, won't lie flat unless you arrange it just so. Not a deal breaker by any means, just a bit annoying.

Last edited:
I'd honestly just use Dual TS female to TRS male if it were me. Then you can use whatever length instrument cables you need.
Oh, really? When I looked at the back of the AFX it appeared that the outputs were in XLR. I’m at the GF’s place tonight so I can’t reference the unit, but that’s what I seem to remember. So I have the option to go dual TS to single TRS and still be in stereo? If so, are those breakout cables easier to find?

Last edited:
Oh, really? When I looked at the back of the AFX it appeared that the outputs were in XLR. I’m at the GF’s place tonight so I can’t reference the unit, but that’s what I seem to remember.
Output 1 has both XLR and 1/4", Output 2 is XLR only and Output 3/4 are 1/4" only.

I use a Mogami Platnum patch chord and Mogami Gold cables to connect my studio monitors. My USB and TRS cable connecting my Mission pedal are generic but do not effect sound. Mogami cables are somewhat pricey, but they come with a lifetime warranty - I recently bent the tip of my patch chord and was able to exchange it for a brand new one.

After reading all of this I also read the Gemini2 UM. If you’re using the Input1 TRS connection there’s zero point in using the AFX3 XLR (balanced) outputs as you’ll be unbalancing them at the Gemini2 TRS stereo input. Were I you I’d call up BTPA, tell them what you’re connecting and how long you want the cable set to be and be done with it. They’re smart and will build exactly what you need, as I’m certain they’ve already done it a bazillion times —or at least quite a few. 😁

Unless, of course, you enjoy soldering cables and are really good at it. Like me.

Third-ed. Just got a couple. Silent plug is cool. Quality gear.

Only thing I'm not 100% sold on is the cable itself, it has opinions, won't lie flat unless you arrange it just so. Not a deal breaker by any means, just a bit annoying.
Resurrecting this, because I actually do find these pretty annoying.

I swear someone posted about cables that are specifically built to lie flat on stage, from some big maker IIRC. Poster said they work well.

Anybody have any idea which those night have been?

I swear someone posted about cables that are specifically built to lie flat on stage, from some big maker IIRC. Poster said they work well.

I have been using the same Canare cabling with Neutrik jacks for the last 7 or so years and they still roll out cleanly and lie flat…

Worth saying I’m am very intentional in rolling them correctly though to avoid twists forming.

I have been using the same Canare cabling with Neutrik jacks for the last 7 or so years and they still roll out cleanly and lie flat…

Worth saying I’m am very intentional in rolling them correctly though to avoid twists forming.
Ditto on coiling cables, from years as a sound person.

But just my minimal walking around with a guitar on ends up with these not super kinked, but not sitting flat either. I could live with it, but what if I don't have to?

There are cables with a flat cross-section. They lie flat on the stage — as long as they’re running in a straight line. But as soon as they turn a corner, they lie on edge, making a wonderful trip wire, so you can plant your face on your gear. :(

Back
Top Bottom