Cables...do you think they make a difference?

shasha

Fractal Fanatic
We got in to a big argument over on another forum so I thought that I'd bring it over here and try to create a bunch of discord at Fractal Audio as well. :mrgreen

In all seriousness though most of us are tone chasers or at least tone tweakers. From what I can tell from discussions there are two basic camps of guitarists, those that absolutely buy into guitar cables as being part of the tone and those that believe that it's snake oil and that as long as you can hear it then it is working fine.

From a personal perspective I had been using the same relatively pricey cables for years on end. I don't recall the brand and after this you'll probably understand why I chose to forget about them.

I had a friend over and we were jamming and as happens many times like that we ended up moving stuff and cables got mixed up and misplaced.

So I went to play the next day on my setup in my makeshift studio, grabbed a cable, plugged in and it was pure sonic torture. Everything was harsh and tinny and bright. At first I thought that there was a problem with my pickup, then suspected a bad tube in my preamp, but none of that made sense. I did some troubleshooting and figured out that it was this cable he had left at my place causing this.

Now remember, I wasn't thrilled about this sound at all.

So I went online and started doing some reading up on cables and got smart enough to be very dangerous, meaning that I am qualified to use wrong terminology and mislead millions of people with my haphazard conglomeration of Wikipedia and forum fueled expertise.

Long story short...I know, too late, I learned a bit about cable capacitance and it's impact on tone. Turns out that I had been EQ'ing to compensate for the high capacitance of my old cables in order to overcome the high end roll off. So in fact his cable wasn't at fault; it was my cables that were sucking my tone to death causing the change in sound.

Of course not everything on the internet is factual (actually most of it isn't), but I decided to try to demonstrate this phenomenon in a very simple clip.

The clip is recorded with my telecaster in the bridge position (volume and tone dimed) direct into the AxeFX, analog out into a Saffire DSPPro24 at 44.1kHz with zero post processing, no level adjustments or anything. The trickiest part was actually playing the same exact thing over 7 times without varying pick placement, attack or anything so I decided to keep it extremely basic and repeatable. My picking hand is locked in position with my pinky between the selector and volume pot and the pick is right above the bridge pickup's height adjustment screw.

The only variable in the entire path are the cables. The selection consists of a modest collection ranging from cheap to relatively cheap cables. There are no Mogamis, Canarys, George L's, Whirlwinds, Monsters or anything of the sort. They're all about the same price level and overall grade and the only difference between each that kind of weakens the accuracy of this test is length.

Capacitance is additive so the longer the cable, the greater the capacitance. Cable length varied from one 5' cable, one 15' cable and the rest were right around 10'. So yes, it's not a straight up A/B/C test with all things being absolutely 100% equal.

But this isn't about which one sounds best or anything like that so the names are irrelevant and the lengths only support the impact of capacitance. Basically these are the cables I had on hand and if you don't like the way it was done than do your own. :D

The only thing that I am trying to demonstrate is that even within cables aimed at the same price point (which remember is modest) that even then capacitance effects tone. None of these are in the ultra low capacitance range of the higher priced cables so the fact that you can hear any difference at all I think emphasis just how much difference you could potentially experience.

I'm not selling anything, I have no agenda other than to exchange information with others and I'm kind of in the middle ground of the two camps that I described earlier. I know that cables make a difference in tone, but I'm not convinced that a $500 chryogenically treated, oxygen free, 10,000 strand cable with 2pf of capacitance per for rated at 200GHz with zero attenuation is necessarily a good thing to own.

Price vs performance, finding the point of diminishing returns, practicality and avoiding the ridiculous are probably what I am shooting for in a good cable or anything for that matter.

And to be honest a little bit of capacitance does color your sound in what could be a positive manner to some. If you really want to do some reading from an actual expert you can go here and try to download the document written by Bill Lawrence (word of caution, it only works in Office 2010 or Open Office). Capactive reactance and the effect of resonance frequency are explained much better than I could do here.

Last edited:
Reactions: jon
What I look for in a cable in order:
1. Durability
2. Price
3. Flexibility
4. Capacitance

When I'm not running wireless I have a Gepco XB20UB 15' cable terminated by Lava Cable with Neutrik connectors.

I discovered that cables make a HUGE difference a while back during a similar jam. I've since found that there ARE diminishing returns, and that the $100 monster cable isn't going to sound a whole lot better than a $25 planet waves. Both will sound DRASTICALLY different from a free 'guitar center' set of cables tho. Night and day difference. Generally, just stay away from cheap cables, that's all. They WILL suck!

This is exactly why lots of patches from others sound so bad on mine setup and why mine patches sound so bad on others! This is à bigger issue than different humbuckers or hands.

Very good subject!:mrgreen

Do you hear a difference?

YES That's because of capacitance variations between cables.​

NO Buy new monitors or get your ears checked.​
:razz
I'll go with a slightly different choice: "YES, I do hear a difference." I'm convinced that parasitic cable capacitance is the cause, but there's nothing in the test that indicates that, one way or another.

Some of the differences are more subtle than others, but they're audible even though, on my crappy PC speakers, your droning high-E string dominates the chords and distracts me from the higher-frequency differences.

I'll go with a slightly different choice: "YES, I do hear a difference." I'm convinced that parasitic cable capacitance is the cause, but there's nothing in the test that indicates that, one way or another.

Some of the differences are more subtle than others, but they're audible even though, on my crappy PC speakers, your droning high-E string dominates the chords and distracts me from the higher-frequency differences.
It's a droning A string. :lol:

Cool that you can hear it on PC speakers; I just bought some monitors a few months ago and can hear it, but I can hear stuff in songs I've been listening to for decades that show up with them. Wasn't real sure how it would translate across other systems.

The only audible difference is capacitance. Don't believe any of the nonsense about directionality, "micro-distortions", skin depth, etc. If you truly want the lowest capacitance possible then use a short cable into a buffer.

The reason capacitance is audible is that it forms a low-pass filter with your guitar electronics. The more capacitance the lower the cutoff frequency. Pretty simple.

Personally I look for durability over all else and use 10 footers.

Cable manufacturers would like you to think there's more going on. There isn't. And please, for the love of Peter Griffin, don't get suckered into buying special power cords.

+1. and +1 for the power cord thing as well. Make sure your power cord is rated for the device you're going to be using it with tho.

Another thing I had the experience of finding out was that SPEAKER CABLES make a difference too! :eek: Happened twice...once in the studio and once when I got my vox night train. On both occasions, there was just something missing....couldn't tell what it was, and when we changed SPEAKER cables, a whole world opened up. On both occasions, the speaker cables were thin and you could tell they weren't heavy duty (including the one that CAME with the night train wtf! :S), so i'm guessing they just couldn't pass the current needed. On both occasions, the tube amps got hotter than normal, and the cable itself was slightly warmer to the touch. I use planet waves cables and speakons, and nothing else now.

The only audible difference is capacitance. Don't believe any of the nonsense about directionality, "micro-distortions", skin depth, etc. If you truly want the lowest capacitance possible then use a short cable into a buffer.

The reason capacitance is audible is that it forms a low-pass filter with your guitar electronics. The more capacitance the lower the cutoff frequency. Pretty simple.

Cable manufacturers would like you to think there's more going on. There isn't. And please, for the love of Peter Griffin, don't get suckered into buying special power cords.
Thanks for the input here. I sat down with one my local experts (who has no real knowledge of guitars beyond that they exist) and he worked out the math for me.

Of course he's one of those guys that gets really animated and starts drawing stuff and pulling out formulas and will make exclamations like "well you can't forget about the Q factor when talking about capacitive reactance and resonance" and other things that I will now have to read up on some more. Most of this stuff makes sense in my head in terms of relationships to eachother and overall picture, but the specifics are going to take some extra work on my part.

I'm just happy to have something new to research.

to quote another thread:

http://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/31989-Huge-Cable-Upgrade

Differences due to guitar cabling are audible, because guitar pickups are extremely high-impedance sources and therefor sensitive to shunt capacitance. Differences in speaker cabling - assuming adequate wire gauge - are inaudible and cannot be reliably identified when the listener has no knowledge of which cable he is listening to. Differences in properly-designed (i.e., shielded twisted pair) line level cabling are also not detectable by human hearing, no matter how golden the ears.

Audio mythology, no matter how widely propagated, is still mythology.

The best (most transparent) guitar cabling is that with the lowest shunt capacitance. You can always reduce shunt capacitance by shortening the cable. The greatest differences among different cables for other uses all relate to reliability (quality of connectors, insulation, etc.) and ease of use (flexibility).

Personally I look for durability over all else and use 10 footers./QUOTE]

Same here; reliability is an issue too. I average 80-100 live gigs a year and use Planet Waves cables which seem to work well.

I have to disagree here.
I have several low capacitance cables, they are all bright.... but they all sound different.

My favorite, Vovox Sonorus has a very clear and strong bass response that all the others lack..... if you were here and played it for a few minutes I'm sure you would hear it right away.... my very skeptical guitar tech got convinced as soon as he played the first note.

I believe it has to do with the type of load on the pickup. (not only capacitance)
It changes the way the pickup behaves.

:|

Last edited:
I have to disagree here.
I have several low capacitance cables, they are all bright.... but they all sound different.

My favorite, Vovox Sonorus has a very clear and strong bass response that all the others lack..... if you were here and played it for a few minutes I'm sure you would hear it right away.... my very skeptical guitar tech got convinced as soon as he played the first note.

I believe it has to do with the type of load on the pickup. (not only capacitance)
It changes the way the pickup behaves.

:|

Although they are all low capacitance they could still be various values.

And you are right, the math shows that it's a capacitance interacting with the inductance and resistance of the pickup.

From Bill Lawrence's paper on cable and sound:
Cable and Sound:

Cables, by themselves, don't have a specific sound but you can alter the sound of your guitar dramatically. To give you a better understanding, let me explain the basic function of pickups and cables:

1. A pickup is a cored inductor that converts the mechanical energy of the vibrating strings into an electrical signal. A pickup has inductance and resistance.
2. A cable is a tubular capacitor that transmits the signal from the pickup to the amplifier. A cable has resistance and capacitance.
In combination with a high impedance system, like a pickup, the resistance of the cable is too low to influence the signal;
but in a low impedance system, like a speaker, the resistance of the cable is essential.

The sound of an electric guitar depends mostly on the frequency, the intensity and the bandwith of the resonance. The resonant frequency (Fr) is the result of the interaction between the Inductance (L) of the pickup and the Capacitance (C) of the cable.

Fr = 1 / [2pi X L^ ½ X C^1/2]

With this simple equation, it's easy to calculate the Fr when the values of the L and C are known. However, to calculate the shifts, the bandwith and the intensity of the resonance, which depends on the Resistance (R) of the circuit, requires some extensive knowledge of electrodynamics, but you can hear the shifts by slowly turning down the volume control of your guitar.

There is neither good nor bad inductance or capacitance, and when it comes to sound, we all have different preferences—what Charly calls a fat, creamy blues sound, Johnny may call it a dull or muddy sound. Till the early '60's, most cables were between 8 and 10 feet long and had an average capacitance of some 300 pico farad. Combined with a Strat Pickup having an average inductance of 2.4 Henry, the resonance was around 6000 Hertz. Then came these spiral cords with a capacitance of 2.4 nano (2400 pico) farad shifting the resonance of a strat a little above 2000 Hertz.

You might ask, “How does the effect my sound?”

Due to the resistance of a pickup and the load resistance of the controls, we increase the bandwith of the resonance, causing an output boost in the vicinity if the resonance. If the resonance is above 5000 Hertz, it's barely noticeable and may increase the sparkling highs, especially with 500 K'ohm controls. Shifting the resonance to lower frequencies results in increasing brightness and at about 3000 Hertz, you'll get that famous “ice pick” sound, especially with the bridge pickup. Below 2800 Hertz, the harshness slowly disappears and below 1000 Hertz, the sound gets muddy. Try it... turn your tone control to zero and with a .022 micro farad cap, the resonance will be at 700 Hertz; with a .05 micro farad cap, it's at 450 Hertz. Now replace the cap at the tone control with a 2.4 nano farad (.0024 micro farad) cap, turn the treble and volume of your amp above 8 and you might get a bit closer to some of Jimi Hendrix's sounds; but don't forget he also used some cable with a much higher capacitance. However, just recently I saw somebody offering a 12 foot cable with a very high capacitance for above $300 and promising the Jimi Hendrix sound. Capacitance is capacitance, and you can get the same effect with 2.4 nano farad cap for less than 50 cents.

The higher the inductance and the higher the capacitance, the lower the resonance.
This explains that the same pickup can reproduce a sweet tone, a bright and harsh tone or a compressed and muddy tone-- it all depends on the capacitance of the cable and the load of resistance of the controls.

As a player, I've always preferred cable with a very low capacitance because I could tailor my sound using additional caps, inductors and resistors in the circuit. For that reason I introduced low capacitance cable in 1978. (At that time, George L was my exclusive national distributor for my products). Today, there are quite a few good and inexpensive cable avaailable with a relatively low capacitance.

It would be nice if all cable makers would publish the capacitance to allow you to select the right one for your needs.

Bill Lawrence

Reactions: jon
Thanks for the input here. I sat down with one my local experts (who has no real knowledge of guitars beyond that they exist) and he worked out the math for me.

Of course he's one of those guys that gets really animated and starts drawing stuff and pulling out formulas and will make exclamations like "well you can't forget about the Q factor when talking about capacitive reactance and resonance" and other things that I will now have to read up on some more.

That's because the Q factor is of critical importance! ...if you're designing nuclear reactors & such. For audio, it's so much simpler... Does this cable sound better than that one? Yes? Does it sound $100 better? No? Then don't buy it. For some stuff I actually prefer the higher capacitance cabling because it's a bright guitar strung with bright strings plugged into a bright amp using a bright cab loaded with bright speakers played on a bright stage on a bright sunshiny day, and it all gets a bit ear-stabby without some high frequency roll-off.

Anyway, the point is that people can get so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they don't stop to think if they should
Ian_Malcolm_jurassic_park.jpg

When I used passive pickups with no buffer, cable choice could affect the sound. I now use a buffer (or a Roland GK board, same thing) connected directly to my guitar output, so none of this matters much. I'm now concerned with shielding, durability, and price.

Funny thing is that I now sometimes use an EQ to achieve a result similar to cable capacitance. The Axe makes this easy. For old-school rock or jazz, having the highs preserved before the amp isn't always desirable.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom