Cable question for Atomic FRFR

Ben Randolph

Power User
I just got back my Atomic FRFR tube cabs from repair and am piping the unbalanced Output 2 from the Axe2 into them. Output 1 is going into my Equator D8 monitors. The setup sounds nice, big and glorious. The Atomics really give that warm low end and punchiness that my rig needs.

I'm running instrument cables into the Atomics. I would imagine this is okay, since it should be no different than running into a combo amp, but just so I'm not making a mistake, are instrument cables, not speaker cables, the preferred method of running into the Atomics' unbalanced input?

Just being paranoid. I don't want to do anything that could inadvertently damage my equipment!

Instrument cables are for carrying audio only.
Speaker cables are for carrying electricity from a power amp to a speaker cabinet.

It sounds like you have active cabinets, so the power amp to speaker arrangement is handled internally then.

I still use them as external speakers to a GT1000FX.

I'm not 100% sure, but I believe I once put the speaker cable into the audio input of one, then wondering why I had no sound, and... unbelievably it seems no harm was done :)
(or maybe I haven't tried them "normally" since then... :mrgreen)

Thanks guys, it appears that I'm doing everything fine, but I just wanted to make sure. I read about how people damage their gear by incorrectly running instrument cables when they should be running speaker cables and vice versa. Its like drunk driving, I suppose. You can do it 100 times with no ill effects, then comes that one time where disaster strikes!

Thanks guys, it appears that I'm doing everything fine, but I just wanted to make sure. I read about how people damage their gear by incorrectly running instrument cables when they should be running speaker cables and vice versa.

Nothing will break if you accidentally use a speaker cable, but most power amp failures are from people using an instrument cable.

Back
Top Bottom