Cab-Lab 4 Version 1.00.02

Michael Pickens

FAS Software Engineer
Fractal Audio Systems
Cab-Lab has been updated to version 1.00.02.

This version includes new features and fixes and is available at https://www.fractalaudio.com/cab-lab-4/

RELEASE NOTES

VERSION 1.00.02
December 7, 2023

SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS
  • Mac version requires OS version 10.9 or newer
  • Windows version requires Windows 10 or newer

NEW IN THIS VERSION
  • The MAIN view's Cab Pack dropdown now alphabetically sorts the Cab Packs.
  • Sound changes as you move the mic are now automatically smoothed.
  • The "Master Level" knob is now available in standalone Cab-Lab when Audition is set to "SW Live Mode". In the standalone, the Master Level is saved to Cab-Lab's Global Settings as customers are more likely to use the standalone with the same audio device (ie, Axe-Fx). In the plugin, the Master Level is saved to the DAW's state information (the data saved by the DAW for each project) and allows for per-project Level independence and automation support.
  • Corrected a thread contention issue in the dynamic speaker control.
  • Corrected keyboard entry of Master Level value.
  • Changed the Master Level to display between 0 and 10 and changed the Master Level default value to 5.

For some reason, the 1960 TV cabs sound off to me now. If I create a blend of an SM7 and a 121 and push it out to an IR, it sounds like a blanket is laid on top of it. If I create a dynacabs version with the same exact settings, it sounds great. Anyone else? What am I doing wrong?

I found it. It is the SIC in the amp block. If it is set to auto, it picks the basketweave curve, but the curve is all wrong. If I manually select something the blanket is lifted. Is this an axe-edit bug, or is there something wrong with mine? Maybe this shouldn't be in this thread now?

When I installed it I now have a huge hum through my computer speakers that wasn't there before ! I've uninstalled the program and it's still doing it ?

What did the installation change in my computer audio settings ?

Update: When I don't touch anything the hum starts up .... When I change a setting it stops humming. Then it starts humming again after about 10 seconds. Even if I mute the volume it still humming ?

Last edited:
I found it. It is the SIC in the amp block. If it is set to auto, it picks the basketweave curve, but the curve is all wrong. If I manually select something the blanket is lifted. Is this an axe-edit bug, or is there something wrong with mine? Maybe this shouldn't be in this thread now?
I've noticed this as well. I made a TV cab and when I load it, the SIC which gets loaded when set to auto isn't for a TV cab. Glad I'm not the only one.

It says the "right" cab name, but the curve is jacked. As soon as I pick something else manually I'm good. I just can't use auto SIC, which kinda sucks.

For some reason, the 1960 TV cabs sound off to me now. If I create a blend of an SM7 and a 121 and push it out to an IR, it sounds like a blanket is laid on top of it. If I create a dynacabs version with the same exact settings, it sounds great. Anyone else? What am I doing wrong?
I don't think you're doing anything wrong.

It's one of those technical problems that are hard to find a good answer to; Cab-Lab creates a standalone IR, which is not the same as an internal Dyna-Cab being edited inside Edit and blended in the modeler. In the internal cabs, the speaker impedance curve is known for each speaker. For the packs and when using Cab-Lab the "correct" speaker impedance curve isn't known or at least it isn't exposed and adjustable, especially when multiple cabs have been blended into a single IR. Even the internal Cab-Lab in Edit doesn't know what to do when two cabs are blended so it defaults to the SIC for the first speaker.

It'd be cool if it, either the modeler, Edit, or Cab-Lab would blend the SIC for each speaker but we have no space for custom SIC in the modeler and the more calculations the modeler has to do when switching channels the longer it'll take, and fighting the gap when switching is a priority with users so it's not likely to happen. It eventually comes down to us having to step in and point the modeler in the right direction.

It might also be a rough edge that needs to be smoothed and that Fractal will begin adding additional SICs to the firmware updates to keep them in step with both the internal cabs and those that are in the external packs, but then what about SICs that are tied to cabs in 3rd party packs?

Screenshot 2023-12-08 at 12.56.29 PM.png

Last edited:
I don't think you're doing anything wrong.

It's one of those technical problems that are hard to find a good answer to; Cab-Lab creates a standalone IR, which is not the same as an internal Dyna-Cab being edited inside Edit and blended in the modeler. In the internal cabs, the speaker impedance curve is known for each speaker. For the packs and when using Cab-Lab the "correct" speaker impedance curve isn't known or at least it isn't exposed and adjustable, especially when multiple cabs have been blended into a single IR. Even the internal Cab-Lab in Edit doesn't know what to do when two cabs are blended so it defaults to the SIC for the first speaker.

It'd be cool if it, either the modeler, or Edit, would blend the SIC for each speaker but we have no space for custom SIC in the modeler and the more calculations the modeler has to do when switching channels the longer it'll take, and fighting the gap when switching is a priority with users so it's not likely to happen. It eventually comes down to us having to step in and point the modeler in the right direction.

It might also be a rough edge that needs to be smoothed and that Fractal will begin adding additional SICs to the firmware updates to keep them in step with both the internal cabs and those that are in the external packs, but then what about SICs that are tied to cabs in 3rd party packs?

View attachment 131145
It is not that the IR is selecting the matching SIC, it is that the curve is botched. If you turn off auto SIC, select a different SIC, then back to the one auto picked, the curve is fixed. This is clearly either a bug in the amp block, something is wrong with axe edit, or something is wrong with my afx3. I am assuming (dangerous, I know) that this is a software issue.

I am also convinced that this thread should be moved to somewhere more appropriate. I don't know if I can do that, but I don't know how if I can.

It is not that the IR is selecting the matching SIC, it is that the curve is botched. If you turn off auto SIC, select a different SIC, then back to the one auto picked, the curve is fixed. This is clearly either a bug in the amp block, something is wrong with axe edit, or something is wrong with my afx3. I am assuming (dangerous, I know) that this is a software issue.
I haven't noticed a problem with that in the cabs I've blended; They seem to track correctly even when I try to make Edit or the front-panel misbehave, but I'm sure Cliff will fix it if we can show how to duplicate it.

I am also convinced that this thread should be moved to somewhere more appropriate. I don't know if I can do that, but I don't know how if I can.
Create a bug post in the Axe Fx III Discussion forum.

This version is my first install of Cab Lab and I have the 4 cabs currently available. I'm running into an issue on MacOS Ventura where the cab controls stop having any effect on the audio after a short period of time. I am using SW Live Mode with an Axe FX III. Cab Lab is using my RME UCX II as the audio interface, with the input as SPDIF (output from Axe FX III to UCX II) and the output as the UCX II's channel 1 and 2. Those are my speaker outputs from the UCX.

At first everything works fine. I load a cab such as the 1960TV. I can hear the changes by moving the mic and selecting different mics. But after a minute or so - possible after changing the mic - the controls in the main window (mic position, etc.) have no impact on the audio. However, the lower left controls still have an impact. If I select the lower-left Bypass or Mute controls I hear them working. Bypass sounds like it bypasses the cab, and the mute control mutes the audio.

The issue is especially prevalent if I load a second cab using slot 2. When this happens I'm unable to hear any changes from the controls, even if muting/soloing only one of the cabs.

This version is my first install of Cab Lab and I have the 4 cabs currently available. I'm running into an issue on MacOS Ventura where the cab controls stop having any effect on the audio after a short period of time. I am using SW Live Mode with an Axe FX III. Cab Lab is using my RME UCX II as the audio interface, with the input as SPDIF (output from Axe FX III to UCX II) and the output as the UCX II's channel 1 and 2. Those are my speaker outputs from the UCX.

At first everything works fine. I load a cab such as the 1960TV. I can hear the changes by moving the mic and selecting different mics. But after a minute or so - possible after changing the mic - the controls in the main window (mic position, etc.) have no impact on the audio. However, the lower left controls still have an impact. If I select the lower-left Bypass or Mute controls I hear them working. Bypass sounds like it bypasses the cab, and the mute control mutes the audio.

The issue is especially prevalent if I load a second cab using slot 2. When this happens I'm unable to hear any changes from the controls, even if muting/soloing only one of the cabs.
What buffer size are you using? Maybe try increasing the buffer?

Cab-Lab 4 (version 1.0.2) crashes during AudioUnit validation and cannot be used.
Logic Pro 10.8.1
macOS: 14.2 (23C64)
Machine: MacPro7,1

I’ll give that a try. I’m using the smallest size 16. Haven’t heard any glitches but maybe it’s contributing to the issue.
I’m having the same problem exactly as you describe (iMac Pro with Ventura and using Dynacabs).
I was on 16 buffer as well w/no other audio glitches. I bumped incrementally but still seeing the problem. I think I’m at 128 now. The problem doesn’t happen every session. Some I can get through, others not.
I probably just need to go higher but wondering how things worked out for you?

Back
Top Bottom