Cab-Lab 4 Release 🔈🧪

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do we do that with FractalBot, like moving regular old-style IRs?
Fractal-Bot can send the factory Dyna-Cab .syx file to the firmware which recognizes and installs them, but once installed Fractal-Bot can't modify or access them, it's just the transfer agent, it doesn't manage them. It doesn't install user Dyna-Cabs either, that's Cab-Lab's responsibility. It probably can backup and restore user Dyna-Cabs, but I haven't seen any conversations about that.

Thank you FAS for giving us a choice of units, so if we're trying to condense a combination of cabs in the hardware down into one mixed IR, the alignment is easy to duplicate by simply selecting mm in the Units drop-down.

Screenshot%202023-10-10%20at%209.30.40%20PM.png

It would be cool if, in SW Live Mode, since it's so connected to the hardware anyway, Cab Lab had the abiity to recreate the behavior of the cab block with its auto impedance setting for Dyna Cabs, so that, if you have a DynaCab in Slot 1, that automatically would load the matching SIC in Amp 1.

It would be cool if, in SW Live Mode, since it's so connected to the hardware anyway, Cab Lab had the abiity to recreate the behavior of the cab block with its auto impedance setting for Dyna Cabs, so that, if you have a DynaCab in Slot 1, that automatically would load the matching SIC in Amp 1.

That auto-selectable SIC might not exist if the pack has new speakers added it....

Thank you FAS for the free product.
Great looking user interface that even comes with a 'Medium Cool' skin, that's sooo cool lol.

Cheers 🍻

Has Fractal considered adding the ability to just export the mix as a .WAV? I think that would greatly expand the usefulness of this software because it would be no longer just for Fractal products but also for anything with an IR loader.

I thought maybe the "Save to Mac" button would do this but it just outputs apparently Axe-Fx compatible files.

No. You adjust things in Cab-Lab and then send the resulting IR to the hardware from Cab-Lab (or save the IR to your computer and use your favorite method to install into the hardware).

The DynaCab packs are not for hardware, only for Cab-Lab.
Is that your guess @unix-guy, or a known fact?

The Fractal ecosystem supports third party DynaCabs, so the tech exists to import them into the hardware, with their mic collections, and probably their SICs, though I'm not positive that last bit has been explicitly stated.

If that's the case, there's no logical reason (as far as I know) why these cab packs couldn't be handled that same way. It actually seems unlikely that Fractal's own offerings would be less full featured than future third party ones will be.

Fractal-Bot can send the factory Dyna-Cab .syx file to the firmware which recognizes and installs them, but once installed Fractal-Bot can't modify or access them, it's just the transfer agent, it doesn't manage them. It doesn't install user Dyna-Cabs either, that's Cab-Lab's responsibility. It probably can backup and restore user Dyna-Cabs, but I haven't seen any conversations about that.
Once they get to the hardware, it wouldn't be FractalBot that adjusts their parameters (position and distance), it would be the front panel controls or AxeEdit, like with the factory DynaCabs.

Is that your guess @unix-guy, or a known fact?

The Fractal ecosystem supports third party DynaCabs, so the tech exists to import them into the hardware, with their mic collections, and probably their SICs, though I'm not positive that last bit has been explicitly stated.

If that's the case, there's no logical reason (as far as I know) why these cab packs couldn't be handled that same way. It actually seems unlikely that Fractal's own offerings would be less full featured than future third party ones will be.
I think these cab packs are just expanded versions of what's already on the hardware, and I don't think we will be able to load these expanded versions on the hardware cuz it would require a lot more memory (more mics, the whole surface of the speaker vs just one half axis, etc.)

From a user interface design point of view, the Zoom tab vs the Align tab Zoom button are the opposite. Axe-Edit also has the same issue. "Zoom" button in Align tab is actually "Zoom out" whereas Zoom tab in Cab Lab is "see a bigger a view of a single cab slot".

I think the Zoom tab would be better renamed to something else, like "Detail" or something since it exposes more params for Dyna-Cabs. "Zoom" should be labeled "Zoom out" or just the button functionality reversed so it defaults to enabled state (zoomed in).

Also the Align tab should account for the max -10ms negative alignment. Now the graph starts from zero so negative alignment puts the IR outside the screen, making the visual less useful.

Last edited:
That auto-selectable SIC might not exist if the pack has new speakers added it....

Yeah, I was thinking, I guess I'm assuming really, that will change in the future, that either we'll have updates that include the new SICs every time new Dyna Cabs are released, or a method to install them ourselves would be provided.

Yeah, I was thinking, I guess I'm assuming really, that will change in the future, that either we'll have updates that include the new SICs every time new Dyna Cabs are released, or a method to install them ourselves would be provided.
+1 - For the Cablab4 Dynacab packs that match existing on-board DCs, we have access to the related SIC from Dynacab mode with auto-SIC on, which we can enter manually when using legacy mode with an exported Cablab4 DC IR mix (the DC mode auto-SIC value should still be correct if the Cablab4 mix stayed within the same matching cab). But, if we start to have new Dynacab packs for cabs / speakers not matching any cab / speaker in Dynacab mode on the hardware, it would be good if there were some automated way to transfer the related newly measured SIC value from Cablab4 to the active amp block being used in Axfx, or, at least have the measured SIC value available in Cablab4 (or noted in the DC Pack documentation) so that those of us who appreciate having the most accurate starting points can enter the correct measured SIC value manually when using an exported Cablab4 mix IR in legacy mode for new DC Pack cabs / speakers not matching any in standard DC mode.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom