Bypassing a block by engaging another with footswitches

hiim_kyle

Hey guys,
I have a simple but perhaps complicated question for you:

Im trying to arrange 2 of my footswitches to operate like 2 preset switches would operate on a delay pedal.
On one switch I have a quarter note delay and on the other a dotted eighth delay.
When I have one or the other footswitches engaged, and I engage the other, I would like the opposite footswitch to be bypassed.

For example, Im playing a part with the quarter note delay and immediately want to switch to the dotted eighth delay, I select the correct footswitch to active the second delay and the first one would become bypassed.

Essentially, I never want both delays to ever be on at the same time!

Also worth noting, scenes wont work because I have drives that may or may not also need the delay. If I have each delay set to a scene, in order to switch the delay off I have to switch scenes and reengage the oppropriate blocks. Too much to do during a performance. On the other hand, I would need a bunch of scenes with combinations of drive 1, drive 2, with or without delays.

What about using block X/Y? This is what I have been doing. I find it can be a mess sometimes during performances. Did I hold the switch long enough? too long? Oh no, I disengaged the block by accident. CHAOS!

I cant figure out how to do this, Im thinking maybe control switches would be the answer but I havent quite nailed down a way to accomplish this.

Let me know if you guys have any ideas! Thanks in advance!

ps. the real answer would be to be able to assign block X/Y to footswitches! If any fractal guys see this, It would be the handiest feature of all time!

Also worth noting, scenes wont work because I have drives that may or may not also need the delay. If I have each delay set to a scene, in order to switch the delay off I have to switch scenes and reengage the oppropriate blocks.
If scene revert is disabled the state of your drive block would be remembered when you go back to the scene.

If that still won't work for you I'm pretty sure you could assign a control switch as a modifier for both delays' bypass state and accomplish this. Set one up as on at the min value and the other on at the max value.

If scene revert is disabled the state of your drive block would be remembered when you go back to the scene.

This is true. However, In the event Im in the "non-delay" scenes using distortion and I want to switch on a quarter note delay, I have to switch scenes and then reengage the distortion, assuming it wasnt on when I last left that scene. That, or add more switches controlling the delays independently. It just gets complicated imo.

If that still won't work for you I'm pretty sure you could assign a control switch as a modifier for both delays' bypass state and accomplish this. Set one up as on at the min value and the other on at the max value.

I fooled around with Control Switches and I can get them to turn each other on and off but I wouldn't be able to have both off simultaneously as you can only affect each bypass mode with one modifier. I may be mistaken.

Thanks for your response!

If I wanted to do this, I would use two control switches - one set to the bypass state of both delay blocks, which would control which delay block is active. I would use the other switch as a "delay mute" switch - for instance by assigning it to the "fx input" on both delays so that it mutes the input signal on both delays simultaneously. This way it would allow either delay to spill over, when you turn off the delay.

If I wanted to do this, I would use two control switches - one set to the bypass state of both delay blocks, which would control which delay block is active.

Yes, this is the way I'd do it too. John Petrucci's rig works something like this.

Under any circumstances the switches only have two states if you don't want to use the press and hold function - on or off, you can't use one switch to toggle three states (off, dly 1, dly 2)

Back
Top Bottom