Button pushed!

Mewcenary

As per some of my other threads, I'm going to try the 'level up' from the Line 6 HD500. The HD500 is a great device, but part of me regrets the floor form factor most of the time as 95% of the time I want it sitting pretty on a desk while I tweak the controls.

So I thought about chopping and changing for the HD Pro but.... looked at what else was out there.

Right now, it's between the Axe FX 2 and the Kemper. I'm impressed with Fractal's no-quibble 15 day return policy so have ordered one on that basis (On that notice, VERY impressed with g66 -- they called me back within 10 minutes on Boxing Day to confirm my order !!).

I'll be trying out the Kemper at a local store to me over the next few days.

In the UK, a bit of a price difference between the two units! Both seem VERY capable units. In particular (and FOR ME because I don't want this to turn into one of those horrific debates):

AXE LOOKS GOOD BECAUSE:

* Rackmount, sleek, sorted!
* 'Does everything' in terms of effects (inc, pitch shift and harmonies, missing from Kemper).
* USB interface (I love this in the Line 6 stuff, the whole using the device as a sound card. I use it heavily for practicing, jam tracks etc.)
* Mature platform already, constant updates.
* Pedalboard (MFC-101) exists (Although not getting this yet).

KEMPER LOOKS GOOD BECAUSE:

* Sci-fi look is pretty neat, even if it isn't rackmount.
* IMHO, the future of this sort of thing (profiling v modelling).
* Easier to dial tones in (as if in front of an amp).
* £700 cheaper!!

I'm expecting BOTH to sound great. Both are being used by name artists in all sorts of capacities.

Looking forward to reporting back with my thoughts!

If you like the HD500 you will love the Axe FX I think.

Have a search on the line 6 preset site, I believe there used to be a patch for it so you can use it as a foot controller for the Axe FX.

I too was in the HD500 boat and jumped for an AxeFx Standard. It was such a brilliant move and have upgraded to the II as well.

The big thing is are you using an your current HD as everything or only effects into an amp?

I respect the Kemper and have even dicked with one at my friends house so having nothing negative to say about how it sounds I will say that they are probably close to setting the Guiness record on longest product ever in BETA. I love Fractal's support and speedy updates, especially when there is a problem. It is truly second to none so good choice and welcome!

Both are great units. I upgraded from the HD500 (which I used happily from the start, got one of the very first ones made) last July to the Axe-Fx II. Best decision I ever made. It gets more amazing every day, literally. Between the constant updates and my own learning, it's a growth process. But from the start, it sounded vastly better than anything I ever owned. I programmed and gigged live with mine after less than 30 minutes of tweaking (using the HD500 for MIDI control until my MFC arrived two weeks later). I didn't have to make a single "on the fly" edit all night.

There are choices out there. Namm show will reveal even more new digital stuff, or at the very least, already existing products with newly added features.

Exciting times. Choices are a good thing. Keeps everyone on their toes & innovating!

Back
Top Bottom