...but for the sun

I feel like Ian Thornley decided people need to up their alternate picking technique!

I don't think he has done near as much before as on this album.

thanks for the tip gentlemen. had never heard of them... WOW that guys voice. sounds a lot like chris cornell and I wouldn't have guessed there were (at one pt anyway) two people in the world that could sing like that!

thanks for the tip gentlemen. had never heard of them... WOW that guys voice. sounds a lot like chris cornell and I wouldn't have guessed there were (at one pt anyway) two people in the world that could sing like that!
Definitely similar voices... However I think often makes some very interesting note choices that are decidedly not like Cornell at all.

On top of that, he is an outstanding guitarist!

was listening to the song albatros when I wrote that... he's def no 'clone' or anything. stylistically very different in a lot of ways. that breaking tone... man, just not a lot of folks who can belt like that. def adding to my list of 'need to listen more to'.

So good! Anyone figured out how to cop his tones yet? Some of these tunes have some giant balls on them.
He plays suhr a lot I believe, but I’ve had some success with a bit of fuzz into a kinda dirty plexi. Maybe a delay and reverb behind it depending on the song. That, and it gets a really different character if you tune to open D flat- at least I think that’s where locomotive is. The overtones change, and string bends sound a bit different. Lots of fun.
If you haven’t checked out big wreck at the suhr factory concert from 2015 on you tube, you should. One of the best live recordings I’ve heard. Bonus points for getting that mix with live amps and no one on stage wearing in ears.

Last edited:
He plays suhr a lot I believe, but I’ve had some success with a bit of fuzz into a kinda dirty plexi. Maybe a delay and reverb behind it depending on the song. That, and it gets a really different character if you tune to open D flat- at least I think that’s where locomotive is. The overtones change, and string bends sound a bit different. Lots of fun.
If you haven’t checked out big wreck at the suhr factory concert from 2015 on you tube, you should. One of the best live recordings I’ve heard. Bonus points for getting that mix with live amps and no one on stage wearing in ears.

Ditto that. That Suhr concert is fantastic and as you say that mix is stellar. They are on tour now as a 3 piece (the other guitarist sadly passed away recently). If you or new to them, the album "In Loving Memory of" is required listening and "The Oaf" is one of my favorites. But this new album, takes it up a notch. He's got riffs, a flair for pop hooks, and a voice and a player to boot. As I said in the OP, it shouldn't be legal to be this good....

Love Big Wreck. And some great songs on the new album.

Not to a fan of the production though. Too crowded, too compressed, too "distant", leading to ear fatigue early on.
Albatross still is their masterpiece.

I was waiting for the "but the bricked production" post - surprised to see only one.

This band is phenomenal and I have yet to hear any horror stories about Ian having an off day.

A local band is the direct support for this album tour, it should be pretty sweet.

I would be so happy if someone could get a preset that gives the opening guitar to VOICES. I have been trying by adding some lower octave from the pitch shift but can't get that fill the room sound he has. I tried all weekend but really have not come close at all.

His massive sound is created using an overdrive channel on his amp with a fuzz (Pigtronix or Suhr).

I would be so happy if someone could get a preset that gives the opening guitar to VOICES. I have been trying by adding some lower octave from the pitch shift but can't get that fill the room sound he has. I tried all weekend but really have not come close at all.

He uses a lot of different tunings so the pitch shift effect may not be best. I haven't tried this song but Locomotive for example is DGDGBD (low to high) I think

Back
Top Bottom