Not a Bug Bug? - Sound glitch with FW 7.0 and SPDIF if not sync'd with audio card

Hi,
I've installed FW 7.0 beta 1 and FW 7.0 on my FM9.
On beta this issue was gone, it was present in FW 6.0, now it came back on 7.0.
Basically, with every preset, if I don't sync the clock of my scarlett focusrite 8i6 with the SPDIF there are audio glitches resembling an high-hat / bit degradation

On my Axe FX3 FW 25.00 issue is not present (Axe FX 3 regular, bought long time ago).

If you don't set the FM9 to sync externally when the Scarlett is set to internal, you'll get seemingly random artifacts like you're describing. And of course you'll need to make two spdif connections, i.e. both ways, if you want to do that.

If you don't set the FM9 to sync externally when the Scarlett is set to internal, you'll get seemingly random artifacts like you're describing. And of course you'll need to make two spdif connections, i.e. both ways, if you want to do that.
mmm ok but firmware 7 beta and my Axe FX 3 don't do that... is that normal?

If you're asking if it's ok to not sync the devices properly, the answer is "no". Otherwise, you'll get random results, which might mislead you into thinking the problem correlates with firmware version, when it does not.

Ok thank you very much. So: since on the FM9 I've got only Internal/SPDIF and on the Scarlett is the same I just need one of the 2 set to "SPDIF" and I get stable results, correct?
1713445835663.png

Ok thank you very much. So: since on the FM9 I've got only Internal/SPDIF and on the Scarlett is the same I just need one of the 2 set to "SPDIF" and I get stable results, correct?
View attachment 138938
Word clock signal gets passed through the S/PDIF I/O. Since the FM9 has both S/PDIF IN and S/PDIF OUT, if you're running both of those from the unit to the interface, then you need to tell the interface whether to use its own clock, or to defer to the clock coming from the digital input (aka set the word clock on the interface to S/PDIF instead of "internal" or however Focusrite phrases it.)

Edit: To clarify, one needs to be set to internal, ideally the FM9 in this case, and the other needs to be set to S/PDIF.

Word clock signal gets passed through the S/PDIF I/O. Since the FM9 has both S/PDIF IN and S/PDIF OUT, if you're running both of those from the unit to the interface, then you need to tell the interface whether to use its own clock, or to defer to the clock coming from the digital input (aka set the word clock on the interface to S/PDIF instead of "internal" or however Focusrite phrases it.)

Edit: To clarify, one needs to be set to internal, ideally the FM9 in this case, and the other needs to be set to S/PDIF.
Ok that's how I solved the issue each time...
That always works for me as far as audio glitches goes, it solves that.
Dunno if in registration or other stuff I should do both the wirings IN/OUT of SPDIF.. I never felt the need but it shows I'm ignorant regarding this topic :/

Back
Top Bottom