broken tip

humpfrey

Inspired
hi , i just noticed , that the tip of my guitarcable was broken and stuck in the mono outputjack socket of my music man jp 15. there's no way to get that piece out , because it's an solid modul . any sugestions will be apreciated . maybe when i contact mm, but the problem is, i live in switzerland and i don't know if they deliver parts to me.

no , that's the single one , jp's have a double outjack one mono , one stereo for the piezo pickup
in one module. i will try with the stereo , but i'm not shure if that's the right way

I already had the same issue with a device, I needed to open it up and lift the metal contact plates on the jack a bit step by step until it fall out.

Attachments

• IMG_20240425_225749.jpg
    IMG_20240425_225749.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 26
Last edited:
I did this once with a wooden dowel and 5 minute epoxy. Mixed the epoxy with the dowel, left a bead on the tip, carefully put that into the broken tip and let it sit until it cured. The risk is getting the glue on the inside of the jack. The difficulty is that you need something with enough of a hold to get past the detente.

I did this once with a wooden dowel and 5 minute epoxy. Mixed the epoxy with the dowel, left a bead on the tip, carefully put that into the broken tip and let it sit until it cured. The risk is getting the glue on the inside of the jack. The difficulty is that you need something with enough of a hold to get past the detente.
I like this idea, and I've used it for similar issues, with a couple differences:

Depending on the space you have to work with, you could use the broken cable tip instead of a dowel. Wrap very thin tape around the shaft, with just a short amount past the end, dribble the epoxy down onto the broken end, and insert it into the jack. Have something rigged up ahead of time to hold it in place, so it cannot move until the epoxy sets up.

The tape, if it works like I'm thinking (it may not) should keep the epoxy from bonding to anything other than the tip.

Worst case, it doesn't work, and you ruin the jack. Which, unless you get it out, is useless anyway.

The screw trick may work, or it may just spin the tip as you try to thread it into it.

Hot glue and a chopstick may grab it.

If not ...a small hole in the center of the back of that jack and push it out with a paper clip or Allen wrench as suggested ^ would be my next effort.

Shop vac from hell might also work

The back of the jack may not be a clear path to drill through, there could be metal there. I'd shine a light down the other one and make sure before drilling. Or ask someone with the same jack to do so. If it's clear, then pushing it out could be most straighforward.

The hot glue suggestion may be challenging because that glue cools off kind of quickly and may set up too fast, leaving a blob to deal with. That said, you could then follow up with a hot metal rod and re-melt that glue blob and, if it's strong enough you're good.

It occurred to me that the inside of the jack could also be protected from any glue using a simple roll of paper. Wish I'd thought of that when I had to do it.

Back
Top Bottom