Bricked?

pima1234

Fractal Fanatic
I recently posted about USB problems with my FM3. Seems the "virus" has spread. Doesn't want to boot up. When I try to boot in safe mode or by loading a clean preset, I get a white screen. When it did load up briefly yesterday, it would not pass audio.

Anyone else experience similar problems. If so, is this thing bricked? New main board is going to be around $500... (yes, I've contacted support)

Unit is about 3 years old (headphone version) with minimal use and always kept in a safe environment.

Check the USB B connector on the FM3 as well. They can get broken and if any of the 4 pins are shorted together, it can cause weird issues.

Opened her up last night, checked the connections and they seem to be fine.

Finally got it to boot in safe mode. Ran the check and it got stuck on DDR Adress Test.

Booted up normal just now, it's on but no USB connection and it won't pass audio.

Definitely seems like there is a circuit board problem.

I recently posted about USB problems with my FM3. Seems the "virus" has spread. Doesn't want to boot up. When I try to boot in safe mode or by loading a clean preset, I get a white screen. When it did load up briefly yesterday, it would not pass audio.

Anyone else experience similar problems. If so, is this thing bricked? New main board is going to be around $500... (yes, I've contacted support)

Unit is about 3 years old (headphone version) with minimal use and always kept in a safe environment.

$500. Crap. Mine has audio drops when running audio into the unit and they want me to send it in. I didn’t ask for an estimate. Guess I’ll continue to live with it.

Don't expect much from current Fractal support. I sent my FC12 back week before last when the three lower left switches started freezing. After consulting the forum it appeared that they come loose after a while and they had resorted to hot gluing them. Although I had sent back this same unit a week after I got it with similar issues. Looking at the inside nothing was glued, but pulling the cable and then reseating that would temporarily fix the issue. Contacted support and they issued me an RMA and told me to send it back. I had to pay shipping there but they said since it was the second time they'd fix it for free and pay return shipping. OK, that's fair...

Now I could have just bought a glue gun and tried fixing it myself but I figured, well, cost of shipping vs. buying a glue gun and messing with it. They didn't offer any instructions or guidance, and I was a little afraid there might be some trick to it. Of course by the time I bought a box and shipped it wound up costing me 50 bucks. But I thought, "Hey, if it's something else like the cable I might as well put it in their hands and make sure."

Big, big mistake.

When you get your shipping instructions the first thing they tell you is that if you are at a different address than the one you ordered from make sure to send the new address. So in a mylar envelope, in big bold 28 point letters on top of the unit, marked with NEW ADDRESS is my current address. Along with the whole email trail where I went through all my diagnostic steps, including reseating the cable.

Got the notice they received it, and got another notice pretty quick that it was fixed and being shipped. Cool.

Or maybe not.

First issue was that when I saw the UPS label info it had my old address on it. The one I ordered from originally. All that trouble to provide my new one, and I can only assume they lost it. If they even looked at it to begin with. Now I will say, that in this regard they are no worse than UPS, who also had issues with getting my new address on record when I generated the label. But they can blame it on a a bloated, inflexible, complex IT system manned by offshore contractors. I don't think Fractal has anything that cumbersome to deal with. So I fired off an email, and they did get it corrected. However instead of getting my unit on Saturday, it moved back to Wednesday. So it wasn't really that quick after all.

So I get it back, and everything's milk and cookies, live happily ever after...

Not quite.

Didn't really get much chance to give it a workout until today, but a few minutes into the current workflow the same footswitches freeze up again. So I pull the thing apart to see what they did. And what I find is that there is now glue on the plugs going on the the mainboard, but absolutely none on the plugs going to the footswitches. The top row has a mounting bracket across the top that presses against them - I assume that keeps those in place a bit better. But I go ahead and reseat the offending footswitch plug and it starts working again.

So all that, and they didn't even fix the issue. What a let down.

I did email them back today, but I'm thinking that if they offer to fix it I'm going to just take a shot at it myself. Even if there is a trick to it it's still better than trusting them again. If it doesn't work out I guess I just unload it, suck it up, and wait for Black Friday to see if RJM has any deals on a Mastermind. Sure not buying another FC. Frankly, the first support experience with that initial defect didn't exactly leave a great taste in my mouth either,

Because you can have a superior product but if you don't back it up a corresponding level of service after the fact then it's not really all that superior in the end. I'm sure if Metallica or Def Leppard have an issue they get it fixed, toot sweet. But the backbone of any kind of product like this are the people who it really hurts to go without a unit for a week and then have it come back not fixed.

This just indicates to me that support there is broken. Or at least in a less than optimal state. And if Cliff is smart he'll fix that before adding the next new wizzbang feature. There are all kinds of companies out there that get bested by ones with inferior products. Because if the service is way better, or they are less expensive, or both word will eventually get out. I've been happy with my Axes II and III,, and the FM3 has been OK so far. But I'm a little concerned about whether I ought to unload it i now given that I need it currently and I don't know that I can depend on the support organization for a satisfactory outcome any more.
I agree that it sounds like a less than stellar experience, which is honestly surprising given the very typically high marks given to Fractal support both on this forum and elsewhere.

I'd suggest that maybe you DM both Cliff and Matt to raise your concerns.

Opened her up last night, checked the connections and they seem to be fine.

Finally got it to boot in safe mode. Ran the check and it got stuck on DDR Adress Test.

Booted up normal just now, it's on but no USB connection and it won't pass audio.

Definitely seems like there is a circuit board problem.
Will it pass audio via the analog I/O?

What were they able to do for you?

My FM3 is still down.
Did you open a support ticket? And what did they say?

My issues were with what went on when I sent it in for repair. It came back with the same issue, but as stated, when Matt became aware of it got resolved quickly. And it was an illustration that they take this part of their business seriously.

But the first step is to either open a ticket or get it into their hands if they issued an RMA - I'd have no doubt at this point they'll be fair.

It’s quite disappointing…don’t the engineers test for MTTF rates of their designs? USB controllers are fundamental to the functionality of this.
Does the FM3 turbo have the same controller? Pretty sad if it does

I'm still deciding whether or not it's worth sending in. I had it packed and ready, but then I decided to troubleshoot a few more things.

But, when I was informed that it could be a main board, and that it would be around $500 (assuming that doesn't include my cost to ship it both ways) and hopefully not on top of the basic $40 for them to just take a look, I had to reconsider.

Yes, what Fractal have done is truly amazing, and the FM3 is a great small format version of the their new flagship. And, I've been a user of their products for a long time now, but it's just hard to accept because it's barely been used (yeah, anything could happen almost anytime). Unless, that is, something actually did happen with a power surge (outage, or whatever it may have been). I thought I had that issue taken care of, since it has always been plugged into a UPS at home.

Either way, I would have been outside even the 3 year warranty.

Back
Top Bottom